Gravity Readings - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > Gravity Readings

Old 12-10-2009, 04:28 PM   #1
bubbachunk
Recipes 

Jan 2009
Cincinnati
Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Refractometer vs hydrometer

What are some advantages and disadvantages? I do not care about cost at this point because I accidentally just crushed another hydrometer in my fingers yesterday.

Old 12-10-2009, 04:31 PM   #2
TipsyDragon
Recipes 

Mar 2009
California
Liked 24 Times on 22 Posts

with a refractometer you have to do math to get the SG and other readings in addition to adjusting for temp. on the other hand the refractometer uses a much smaller sample than a hydrometer. other than that i cant any real advantage of one over the other.

Old 12-10-2009, 04:48 PM   #3
Gremlyn
Recipes 

Mar 2009
San Diego, CA
Liked 29 Times on 19 Posts

Refractometers are also only really useful during the boil.

Old 12-10-2009, 05:08 PM   #4
bubbachunk
Recipes 

Jan 2009
Cincinnati
Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Is it a fair assumption that they are much more durable?

Old 12-10-2009, 06:12 PM   #5
Tusch
Recipes 

Nov 2007
Spring Valley, Ohio
Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts

*dbl post*

Old 12-10-2009, 06:13 PM   #6
Tusch
Recipes 

Nov 2007
Spring Valley, Ohio
Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gremlyn1 View Post
Refractometers are also only really useful during the boil.
Not really true, it is no longer a common recommendation to do boils for mead and this is straight from Hightest's mead FAQs and pdf's http://home.comcast.net/~mzapx1/FAQ/Refractometer.pdf
I believe he uses refractometers exclusively allowing him to take many more readings to more accurately track a fermentation without having to worry about taking too much out for hydrometer samples

Old 12-10-2009, 06:32 PM   #7
Soulrebel
Recipes 

Oct 2008
Lakehead, Ca
Liked 6 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbachunk View Post
Refractometer vs hydrometer

What are some advantages and disadvantages? I do not care about cost at this point because I accidentally just crushed another hydrometer in my fingers yesterday.
I think you are a perfect candidate for a refractomer. If you can navigate HBT on the cpu then you can manage any of the available free spreadsheets used to convert brix to sg etc.

Old 12-10-2009, 06:36 PM   #8
Yan
Recipes 

Nov 2009
British Columbia
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

You can use them to see how ripe fruits are. I have no problem using a hydrometer for brewing, myself.

They are more durable in that I don't see a person crushing one with their fingers. I wouldn't drop one though. But then, I've never broken a hydrometer with my fingers. Maybe you need to relax a little.

Old 12-10-2009, 09:20 PM   #9
Gremlyn
Recipes 

Mar 2009
San Diego, CA
Liked 29 Times on 19 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tusch View Post
Not really true, it is no longer a common recommendation to do boils for mead and this is straight from Hightest's mead FAQs and pdf's http://home.comcast.net/~mzapx1/FAQ/Refractometer.pdf
I believe he uses refractometers exclusively allowing him to take many more readings to more accurately track a fermentation without having to worry about taking too much out for hydrometer samples
OK, I shall revise my statement to 'pre-fermentation', forgot about the mead guys that don't boil...

I know you can use the refractometer during/after fermentation, but you have to get rid of the alcohol produced first and it's just more of a PITA than I'm willing to put up with.

Old 12-10-2009, 10:54 PM   #10
wayneb
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Feb 2009
Evergreen, Colorado
Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

You don't have to "get rid" of the alcohol, you just have to account for it, with correction factors that are easy to figure if you took an initial, pre-pitch, refractometer reading.

Perhaps difficult for anyone not comfortable with a little algebra, but generally not too much hassle for those amongst us who have science, engineering, or computer science backgrounds.