Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > kegerator in un-insulated garage having issues

Old 12-10-2009, 05:35 AM   #1
kegtoe
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Default kegerator in un-insulated garage having issues

So i went to pour a beer from my kegerator tonight and the lines were semi-froze from both taps. The kegerator sits in a garage (not insulated). I live in Northern minnesota and it has been below zero the lat 2 nights. Anyone else have issues wiht this? Is there anything i can do? SHouldnt the fridge be well insulated enough where this shouldnt happen??

Old 12-10-2009, 05:59 AM   #2
Mista_Sparkle
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

if its below freezing where your fridge is and it isn't heated, its going to freeze sooner or later. Insulation will do nothing other than slow down the heat transfer between your fridge and outside.

perhaps you could get some sort of heater for your fridge, otherwise i would be careful to avoid bursting and move your stuff inside

Primary #1+Auxiliary: Burning River Pale Ale clone
Primary #2: empty
Primary #3: EdWorts Apfelwein #4
Conditioning/Drinking:Brewers Best Belgian Tripel, Apfelwein #3, EdWorts Apfelwein #2, Cranapple Wine, Routers Share Network Closet Strong Scotch Ale, McCormack's Old Malt Oatmeal Stout

Old 12-10-2009, 07:27 PM   #3
half_full
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Same situation here. Actually born and raised in MN. Live in MI now. I know of the cold temps in I Falls! So, last year I ordered a temp controller and set up a light bulb in a cage inside the fridge. I used a 40 watt bulb and never had a frozen line. You may need to get more wattage up there. A sun lamp? Just kidding.

Old 12-10-2009, 08:07 PM   #4
kegtoe

Recipes 

How did you wire that "cage" up? Did you have to drill a hole in the door or something. Battery power perhaps??

Old 12-10-2009, 08:19 PM   #5
half_full
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I cut a small notch in the seal of the fridge door to feed the wire and temp sensor inside. Held the wires in place with a small piece of stick on foam insulation to fill the void. It's an old fridge that I got for free so no worries on long term issues.

Old 12-10-2009, 08:57 PM   #6
tomwirsing
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I'm in Cleveland, it's not the Icebox of the Nation, but it does get cold enough to freeze beer. I'm going into my first winter with a kegerator in the garage and was faced with the same issue.

My solution was simpler, but probably a bit more wateful of energy. I took advantage of the light that is already in there. I pulled out the switch that turns on the 40 watt bulb in the back. I was able to pop the switch out. Then I trimmed some plastic to give me a little slack wire so I could get it into the fridge and out of the way of the door. Finally, I duct taped it to the ceiling of the fridge. One of the adavantages of having a kegerator that's a rusty POS somebody on Craig's List was giving away is you don't mind cutting it up a little bit or having eelectrical wiring duct taped to the ceiling.

I think this is going to prove to be a very simple and effective solution. 40 watts seems like it should be plenty to keep a very well insulated box above 29 degrees or so. I'd guess it's actually more than I need.

Old 12-10-2009, 09:36 PM   #7
half_full
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

yep, the 40W bulb does the job. It was a very cold winter last year and the temp controller did turn the bulb on and off. The reason I went with a temp controller was to try to maintain temp as best I could. I'm still pretty new to kegging but reviewing the carb chart shows how temp affects carbonation.

Old 12-10-2009, 10:29 PM   #8
tomwirsing
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by half_full View Post
yep, the 40W bulb does the job. It was a very cold winter last year and the temp controller did turn the bulb on and off. The reason I went with a temp controller was to try to maintain temp as best I could. I'm still pretty new to kegging but reviewing the carb chart shows how temp affects carbonation.
I'm also using a temperature controller. It's the one the Whirlpool factory installed. When the light bulb heats up the fridge too much, the fridge kicks on and cools it down. I know it would be more energy efficient to use a temp controller on the light, and I may add one, but I was working with what I had on hand.

Old 12-10-2009, 10:40 PM   #9
kegtoe

Recipes 

Would i even need to have teh fridge plugged in?? Say i buy a light (heater) and hook it up to an xternal temperature controller taht would heat the fridge up when it gets to cold, why then would i need to plug my fridge in?? It is already way colder than what it needs ot be.

Old 12-11-2009, 01:20 AM   #10
mordantly
Recipes 

Location: Westside..... CenCal - the country that'll never take away my guns or money !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 1

for this reason im pondering a way to insulate the taps. they are an excellent conducter when the air is below 0 or above 100.