My First Trappist - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > My First Trappist

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 12-10-2009, 02:17 AM   #1
Mountainbeers
 
Mountainbeers's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Aug 2009
Morgantown, WV
Posts: 473


Just bought my first trappist, two Westmalle Dubbels. Any recommendations on how I should treat this beast? Refrigerate a few days? Pour at 51.7F? Or just chill and enjoy?
__________________
Streamline Brewing Company
"You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline - it helps if you have some kind of a football team or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer." - Frank Zappa

On Deck: Apfelwein
Fermenting: Oatmeal Stout
Conditioning:
Drinking:

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 02:20 AM   #2
gallagherman
Recipes 
 
Oct 2007
Boston, MA
Posts: 225
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts


No matter what you do with them, you're sure in for a treat!
__________________
Next: Dead Guy Clone, Weißbier

Fermenting: The Riley

Kegged: Dry Stout, RyePA

My Blog! www.beerunion.net

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 02:24 AM   #3
Brew-boy
 
Brew-boy's Avatar
Recipes 
 
May 2006
Lapeer, Michigan
Posts: 2,282
Liked 16 Times on 13 Posts


I would chill and serve like this;
I brought this bad boy and others home with me from the Netherlands.

[IMG][/IMG]
__________________
Next:Smoked Pilsner.
Primary:Belgian Red, American Stout w/Roeselare
On Tap:Pale Ale, English Bitter
Aging: Imperial Oatmeal Stout on Vanilla beans.

I rather owe you a dollar than cheat you out of it.."Dad"

http://lapeerareabrewers.com/

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LapeerAreaBrewers/

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 02:30 AM   #4
Mountainbeers
 
Mountainbeers's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Aug 2009
Morgantown, WV
Posts: 473

Our local Kroger of all places just stocked up a brand new craft section. I'm so pumped.
__________________
Streamline Brewing Company
"You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline - it helps if you have some kind of a football team or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer." - Frank Zappa

On Deck: Apfelwein
Fermenting: Oatmeal Stout
Conditioning:
Drinking:

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 04:09 PM   #5
BlueSunshine
Recipes 
 
Nov 2009
Pittsburgh
Posts: 354
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts


Westmalle is amazing. I have a bottle of Dubbel and Tripel on my bar but I don't want to open them because they make nice decorations.

They're hard to come by in PA and if you do find them you'll pay far more than you should. Either way, you'll be sure to enjoy this one.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 04:23 PM   #6
MultumInParvo
Recipes 
 
Sep 2009
Detroit, Michigan
Posts: 802
Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueSunshine View Post
Westmalle is amazing. I have a bottle of Dubbel and Tripel on my bar but I don't want to open them because they make nice decorations.

They're hard to come by in PA and if you do find them you'll pay far more than you should. Either way, you'll be sure to enjoy this one.
Unfortunate that they are hard to come by. I was in my local Hiller's (grocery store) and picked up a bottle of Westmalle Tripel. Being my first trappist I was quite impressed.

Hiller's also has Chimay, Rochefort, and well over a dozen craft brewers, Bell's, Founders, Anchor Steam, Sierra Nevada.. The list goes on. Not bad for just a grocery store.

Oh yeah, and the Westmalle Tripel cost me $2.99. I wasn't sure if they were mis marked, or they're just crazy....

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 04:30 PM   #7
BlueSunshine
Recipes 
 
Nov 2009
Pittsburgh
Posts: 354
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by cford1 View Post
Unfortunate that they are hard to come by. I was in my local Hiller's (grocery store) and picked up a bottle of Westmalle Tripel. Being my first trappist I was quite impressed.

Hiller's also has Chimay, Rochefort, and well over a dozen craft brewers, Bell's, Founders, Anchor Steam, Sierra Nevada.. The list goes on. Not bad for just a grocery store.

Oh yeah, and the Westmalle Tripel cost me $2.99. I wasn't sure if they were mis marked, or they're just crazy....
Nice!

Here in PA we can only buy beer at 6 pack shops or "distributors". It'd be a blessing if I could get beer at a grocery store or gas station. Rochefort and Westmalle can only be found in 6 pack shops, and I've seen prices for one 12 ounce bottle from $8 - $12. As a rule of thumb, take any price for beer in another state and double that: that's the price you pay in PA.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 04:42 PM   #8
MultumInParvo
Recipes 
 
Sep 2009
Detroit, Michigan
Posts: 802
Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueSunshine View Post
Nice!

Here in PA we can only buy beer at 6 pack shops or "distributors". It'd be a blessing if I could get beer at a grocery store or gas station. Rochefort and Westmalle can only be found in 6 pack shops, and I've seen prices for one 12 ounce bottle from $8 - $12. As a rule of thumb, take any price for beer in another state and double that: that's the price you pay in PA.
Well, my first thought was you should up and move for that reason alone. But I guess it is easier to justify buying homebrew equipment when brewing is all that much cheaper!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 04:49 PM   #9
BlueSunshine
Recipes 
 
Nov 2009
Pittsburgh
Posts: 354
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by cford1 View Post
Well, my first thought was you should up and move for that reason alone. But I guess it is easier to justify buying homebrew equipment when brewing is all that much cheaper!
Yeah, the general consensus is that no one will save money when homebrewing in comparison to buying beer in the store. With PA prices, that might be debatable.

You should see how much beer I bring back when I go to New Jersey and Maryland.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 05:11 PM   #10
Mountainbeers
 
Mountainbeers's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Aug 2009
Morgantown, WV
Posts: 473

I used to go over into PA because WV didn't sell anything with above 7% ABV. But they changed that this summer and thank god. I bought this Westmalle for $5.25.
__________________
Streamline Brewing Company
"You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline - it helps if you have some kind of a football team or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer." - Frank Zappa

On Deck: Apfelwein
Fermenting: Oatmeal Stout
Conditioning:
Drinking:

 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
It's a Trappist! Spunkmeyer Label Display & Discussion 18 07-12-2008 02:00 AM
Trappist Westvleteren 12 landhoney Commercial Brew Discussion 28 02-21-2008 02:52 PM
Noble Trappist Ale Georgian Novice Extract Brewing 3 04-21-2007 04:22 PM
Trappist History zoebisch01 General Beer Discussion 2 02-27-2007 09:26 PM


Forum Jump