Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > A question with EZ Water adjustment calculator

Old 12-09-2009, 05:15 PM   #1
stevemwazup
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default A question with EZ Water adjustment calculator

I have another question with the EZ Water Adjustment calculator.
When I enter the different mineral amounts there is a check box bellow for each mineral. When checked, it gives a seperate amount to add to the boil.

My question is, if I uncheck the box, an just put the minerals in the mash and not the boil kettel, will the program adjust acordingly, ( Is it just as good doing it that way ).
stevemwazup

Old 12-09-2009, 06:48 PM   #2
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1215 Times on 798 Posts
Likes Given: 29

The way it works is that you may want to add minerals to the mash just to get the RA, Mg and Calcium up to minimums to get mash pH and enzyme activity going and leave those out of the final profile. If you watch my 3rd video on this topic on youtube, it explains why you'd want to leave some out. You'll see that the program will show you both the resultant mash profile (row 22) and overall profile (row 23).

There are cases were you have to add a lot of NaHCO3 to get mash conditions in range but don't necessarily want the sodium levels jacked up for the overall profile. Other situations exist but that's probably my biggest reason for requesting the checkbox.