Youthful Indiscretions - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > Youthful Indiscretions

Old 12-09-2009, 04:20 PM   #1
MarcJWaters
Recipes 

Mar 2009
Indianapolis, IN
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

So I made a Vanilla Mead about a month and a half ago. I cracked the airlock recently just to get a sample of how it is coming along, and it is beyond delicious. Like, its still sweet with some hint of citrus (I put a cup of strong orange tea in primary) and a pleasant aroma and taste of vanilla.

I am 25. Most would argue that I am not sophisticated yet to appreciate the finer things in life... but does it get better then this? Is aging it a year going to drastically change the taste?

I know, I am impatient. Its just... really good.

Old 12-09-2009, 04:42 PM   #2
digdan

Recipes 

Aug 2005
Pasadena, CA
Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Aging will reduce the alcohol burn and blend those flavors to make even more complex flavors.

Try it at separate ages

Old 12-09-2009, 04:55 PM   #3
Mirilis
Lvl 10 Beer Nerd
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Feb 2008
Greenville, Ohio
Liked 123 Times on 86 Posts

best thing to do is to bottle it .. set some aside for now.. some aside for 6 months ... and the rest for 1 year +

Old 12-09-2009, 05:01 PM   #4
andysim
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Mar 2009
Clayton, NC
Liked 48 Times on 36 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcJWaters View Post
So I made a Vanilla Mead about a month and a half ago. I cracked the airlock recently just to get a sample of how it is coming along, and it is beyond delicious. Like, its still sweet with some hint of citrus (I put a cup of strong orange tea in primary) and a pleasant aroma and taste of vanilla.

I am 25. Most would argue that I am not sophisticated yet to appreciate the finer things in life... but does it get better then this? Is aging it a year going to drastically change the taste?

I know, I am impatient. Its just... really good.
What is the recipe?

Primary - Mosaic DIPA
Primary - RedX Trippel
Primary - Judge #2 Clayton Brown
Kegged - Cranberry Saision, Wet Hopped Blonde Ale, 2C Hoppy Wheat, Falcon Pale Ale, Mama's Yellow Pils

Old 12-09-2009, 09:35 PM   #5
MarcJWaters
Recipes 

Mar 2009
Indianapolis, IN
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by andysim View Post
What is the recipe?
One gallon of Honey, 4 gallons of water, 4 ounces of Vanilla Extract, one orange worth of zest, and one cup strong citrus tea.

Old 12-09-2009, 09:39 PM   #6
gratus fermentatio
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Jun 2008
Montana
Liked 2436 Times on 1347 Posts

Bottle some in a few 12oz bottles so you can sample at different ages. You can age that mead for a several years if you want, I don't even think of drinking any of my meads/melomels/cysers until at least the 1.5 year mark. I have 2 cysers that have been bulk aging for over 2 years now, I might bottle them this spring, but I'm in no big hurry. Regards, GF

Old 12-10-2009, 01:39 AM   #7
SacredAngel
Recipes 

Dec 2008

I'd drink some and save some.

Old 12-16-2009, 08:17 AM   #8
Foxhound
Recipes 

Dec 2009
Wasteland, TX

I tried to create a vanilla similar to that, in a 1 gallon batch and it was terrible after 6 months.. I'm curious to know what kind of extract you used? I'm something of a vanilla junkie and was considering trying vanilla beans for my next go round... but if this is as good as you say I'd like to get the name of the extract and of the honey you used.

Old 12-16-2009, 09:15 AM   #9
mordantly
Recipes 

May 2008
Westside..... CenCal - the country that'll never take away my guns or money !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts

i year? but i want to drunk it now! i admire anyone who can show such restraint.

Old 12-16-2009, 10:46 AM   #10
fatbloke

Recipes 

Dec 2006
UK - South Coast.
Liked 182 Times on 167 Posts

Patience young Jedi..........

Use the force and you'll be presently surprised how much it improves with age!

Oh, and here's some blog stuff!