Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Good taste at kegging, but not after aging and drinkin...

Old 12-09-2009, 03:07 PM   #1
zinger084
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Good taste at kegging, but not after aging and drinkin...

So all 6 batches of beer that I have brewed taste good when I transfer from my secondary to my kegs. The problem is that after I prime, shut the lid, age for a a few months, and then drink from the keg, they all have the same taste. It's like a bitter harsh taste and no matter what the style of beer is, they are the exact same tasting. There is also absolutely no aroma whatsoever.

I have no idea what's going on here. I am anal about sanitation and all. My kegs are clean when I transfer the beer.

I do pour the priming water/sugar mixture in the keg while it's still warm/hot, so could this possibly could be it.

On my latest brew (GLBC Christmas Ale Clone) I let the water/sugar solution cool down to room temp by placing in the freezer. Got to wait a few months to see if this is the problem...

Is there something I might be doing wrong?

Old 12-09-2009, 04:31 PM   #2
rwinzing
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Not sure......I would try a batch age it in a secondary instead of the keg. Force carb it instead of using the sugar. Just leave it at 10 psi for a week to two weeks and see if there is a difference. I never use priming solution whe I have CO2

Old 12-09-2009, 04:44 PM   #3
glockentalk
Recipes 

I had a similar problem. I aged a red ale for about 3 months in a keg and it came out tasting quite bad, a little like dirt. Even the bottles from the same batch had the same taste. I used the same yeast in subsequent batches of cream ale, and there was no problem. Very strange. It was my first attempt to age a keg for more than a few weeks, and it kind of put me off that idea. I'll have another go, though.

Old 12-09-2009, 04:50 PM   #4
zinger084
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwinzing View Post
... I never use priming solution whe I have CO2
I think I might do this... because it's either the priming sugar (corn) or an infection in the keg (not sure how it could be the same infection in 6 batches of kegs though...)

Old 12-09-2009, 09:04 PM   #5
dfohio
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I highly doubt its the priming sugar. How much are you using? Is the beer overcarbonated?

You are in Ohio, what do you use as your water source?

Primary: Citrus Wheat Experiment/WLP029 & WYEAST 1056
Secondary: Oktoberfest
Bottle: Empty

Old 12-09-2009, 09:52 PM   #6
Synovia
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

are you purging the air out of the keg?

Old 12-09-2009, 11:09 PM   #7
Diablo
Recipes 

Could you be over-ageing the beers ? Not every beer benefits from long ageing. Maybe try sampling them each week from the keg to see when they peak.

Old 12-10-2009, 03:11 AM   #8
zinger084
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfohio View Post
I highly doubt its the priming sugar. How much are you using? Is the beer overcarbonated?

You are in Ohio, what do you use as your water source?
3/4 of a cup for 5 gal... not overcarbed...

i use spring water from acme. i heard with malt extract you can use DI or RO since the minerals also are in the malt extract

Old 12-10-2009, 03:16 AM   #9
zinger084
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synovia View Post
are you purging the air out of the keg?
no, i am not purging any air... not sure what this would do...

Old 12-10-2009, 03:18 AM   #10
zinger084
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diablo View Post
Could you be over-ageing the beers ? Not every beer benefits from long ageing. Maybe try sampling them each week from the keg to see when they peak.
I don't think I am overaging... they are in the primary for about 2 weeks, then secondary for about 1 week, then keg for about 1 month...

i thought that green beer taste would slowly fade with longer aging. i am really lost here and about to bring a bottle to my LHBS and have them tell me what's up.