German Pils Sorta like Prima Pils... - Page 3 - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Homebrew Lager Recipes > German Pils Sorta like Prima Pils...
Cool Brewing Giveaway - Supporting Membership Drive & Discount

Old 03-04-2010, 04:30 PM   #21
android
Recipes 

Jan 2009
Ames, Iowa
Liked 42 Times on 33 Posts

just brewed something similar to this the other day. omitted the carapils and changed the hops up, didn't FWH either (i'm not comfortable at all with how that relates to the final beer). added some magnum for my bittering charge, started with saaz and some hallertau for flavor and then hit it hard with saaz at the end. came up WAY short on volume (i didn't account for the damn plug hops absorbing wort and think i boiled too hard, but i was determined to avoid DMS)... I'll shoot back a pic and some tasting notes once she's done. it's fermenting very well at 57 in my basement as we speak. i accidentally cooled it down to about 54, so it took roughly 30 hours to get a good krausen formed, but all is good. thanks for the idea.

ebay temp controller | thermostat temp controller

Old 03-04-2010, 10:19 PM   #22
512Brew
Recipes 

Feb 2009

I'm on my 2nd batch with similar recipe, actually did an all grain Heineken clone but used the Notti dry ale yeast so I wouldn't have to lager it. Very nice crispy ale that everyone thinks is a Pils. From brew day to tap out of keg in 4 weeks for a fakey Pils.

Old 08-03-2010, 01:36 AM   #23
shanecb
Recipes 

Mar 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
Liked 36 Times on 32 Posts

Just for clarification, what is the "Additional Fermentation: 7 days @ 38F"... I don't recalling having seen something called "Additional Fermentation" before.

Old 08-03-2010, 01:42 AM   #24
Walker
I use secondaries. :p
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Sep 2005
Cary, NC
Liked 99 Times on 88 Posts

i'm pretty sure that's a lagering step. The recipes follow a template so I'mn guessing that the thing listed as "additional fermentation" is really the third thing in the process, but gets listed second because of the template.

reordering...

Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 14 days @ 58F
Primary, cool fermentation.

Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp):
7 days @ 68F
Diacetyl rest to let the yeast clean up byproducts.

Additional Fermentation: 7 days @ 38F
Short lagering phase or crash cooling stage.

Old 08-03-2010, 02:48 AM   #25
shanecb
Recipes 

Mar 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
Liked 36 Times on 32 Posts

Ahhhh ok... makes sense now. Thinking about giving this a shot soon.

Old 08-10-2010, 05:42 AM   #26
bkov
Recipes 

Jul 2008
jersey
Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

might brew this one soon....

do you still recommend notty at 58 verus something like wlp029 german ale/kolsch? or a hybrid lager

also if i decide to do this with exra light pilsn DME (2row + alittle carapils) instead of allgrain, do you recommend adding alittle sugar to help it finish low?

Old 11-23-2010, 07:15 PM   #27
CharlosCarlies
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Jan 2009
Conroe, TX
Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

Been a long time, but I'm back and should be brewing again soon. Building a house ended up being a royal PITA but the brewery will be up and running soon.

Quote:
do you still recommend notty at 58 verus something like wlp029 german ale/kolsch? or a hybrid lager
I've tried wlp029 in a lot of recipes, and while I think it makes a great beer it just isn't quite right for a pils IMO. It has a very distinctive 'bready' aroma and doesn't finish quite as low in my experience. Plus pitching a couple packs of Notty is way easier than building a starter.

Old 06-27-2012, 12:29 PM   #28
rebrandsoftware
Recipes 

Jul 2010
Falls Church, VA, USA, Virginia
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Brewed this last week and it's coming along nicely. I have my fermentation chamber set to 58F but I've seen it dropping down to around 53F with no perceivable difference, nice steady BLUB from the airlock.

I made a mistake and topped it off closer to 6 gallons, which brought the OG down to 1.044 or so. We'll see how badly that screwed it up in a few weeks I guess.

One question: can I lager this in a keg and then serve directly or does the lager step produce a lot of sediment that I need to rack away from?

Old 07-07-2012, 02:09 PM   #29
makomachine
Recipes 

Jun 2011
Tuttle, OK
Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts

A Prima Pils Clone is on my "to brew list". Curious on anyone's perceptions of this beers character to the original. I did a Helles Ale with Notty last week and the hydrometer sample is sitting at 1010 and has that "crisp" Notty character when done at low temps. Still green but gives me even further confidence that it would be perfect for a fakey pils! I'm a little worried about the late hop additions as I know Victory has commented not to go too late when making a run at this. I think the Saaz is likely right and was going to bitter with Northern Brewer.
Upcoming Brews: Surley Furious Clone, Uintah Wyld

Old 08-05-2012, 11:07 PM   #30
rebrandsoftware
Recipes 

Jul 2010
Falls Church, VA, USA, Virginia
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Great beer! I accidentally topped up an extra gallon and it came out very nicely regardless. It was closer to warsteiner than prima pils for me but that could be the dilution. Everyone who tried it loved it! Thanks for the recipe!