Specialty IPA: Brown IPA Beehemel's India Brown Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beehemel

Reaction score
Recipe Type
Extract
Yeast
Wyeast 1056
Yeast Starter
No
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
100ish
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
Tasting Notes
Bitter with slight sweetness in the finish. Brown color, great hop aroma!
Fermentables:
6.6 lb Light LME - 60 min
3.3 lb Light LME - 10 min

Specialty Grains (Steep at 155 degrees for 30 minutes):
1 lb Crystal 60
1 lb Carafa III

Hops:
2 oz. Chinook - 60 min.
2 oz. Simcoe - 10 min.
2 oz. Amarillo - 10 min.
1 oz. each Simcoe and Amarillo - Dry Hop in secondary for two weeks

Yeast:
Wyeast 1056 smack pack

This was my first brew ever and won best of show at the 2009 Cincinnati Malt Infusers Octobersbest competition, scoring 40.5 in the Specialty category. I primed with 3/4 cup corn sugar and bottle conditioned for three weeks.

Enjoy! :mug:

I brewed this on saturday. The carafa III seemed to make the wort pretty dark, and I am interested to see how it finally comes out. I had to substitute centennial for the amarillo.

Have you ever tried adding a half pound or so of Muscavado to this recipe?

I haven't. I'm still not sure how it came out brown for me, but it did. Let me know how yours comes out!

Well, I will see how it comes out, and in the future if I decide to brew this again I might consider adding the sugar.

How would adding 0.5 lb of muscavado sugar affect the recipe? Would I need to up the hop additions?

You may want to add a touch more hop just to account for differences in utilization, but I'm not sure it will make much of a difference unless you add a whole lot of sugar.

Latest posts

Back