Ss Brewtech’s Biggest Baddest Holiday Giveaway Ever!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Warm pitch vs Cold pitch
Old 12-08-2009, 02:32 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Warm pitch vs Cold pitch

With regards lagers - some say pitch cold (45F) and others say pitch warm and then reduce temps when fermentation starts.
The theory I think is cold pitch negates the need for a diacetyl rest and warm pitch is easier on the nerves and less chance of infection.
While I realise neither is correct Im curious to know what everyone else does.
What temp do you pitch your lagers at ?

Old 12-08-2009, 02:40 PM   #2
Liked 35 Times on 35 Posts

I try to pitch cold, but closer to 52-55. It's difficult for me to get it all the way down to 45 F since my lager fridge is set to about 48 F. So I chill with the IC and then further chill in the carboy in the fridge, then pitch when it gets reasonably close to 48 F.

FWIW, It's allegedly better to propagate starters (even lagers) around room temp. There was a comment in the most recent Zymurgy mag (the article on dark lagers) that you need to let the starter sit at 60 F or less for a day before pitching cold. I only mention this so that if you do choose to do this you'll allow enough time for this 'rest'.
Early brewers were primarily women, mostly because it was deemed a woman's job. Mesopotamian men, of some 3,800 years ago, were obviously complete assclowns and had yet to realize the pleasure of brewing beer.- Beer Advocate

Old 12-08-2009, 02:46 PM   #3
Look under the recliner
Liked 199 Times on 164 Posts
Likes Given: 22

I pitch at 50*F and rarely do a diacetyl rest.
On Tap: Ger. Pils, OKZ (std Amer. lager), CZ Pils, Maibock,
Kegged and Aging/Lagering:CAP, CAP II, Wheat lager, Imperial Pilsner, Ger. Pils, OKZ (std Amer. lager), OKZ II (for base malt comparison), light beer - yes, light beer, Belgian IPA, IPA,
Primary: Pale Ale
Brewing soon: Saison
Recently kicked : ( IPA, Bock, Saison,
Pilsner Urquell Master Homebrewer
(1st NYC 2011, 2nd NYC 2012)
P U crowns winners in its inaugural master HB competition