Pets and why we hate them... - Page 2 - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > Pets and why we hate them...

Old 12-08-2009, 04:33 AM   #12
JVD_X
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Jan 2008
Gainesville, Virginia
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Dogs are smarter than you give credit... that dog probably KNOWS you hate it and took a dump on your carpet just to piss you off.

Old 12-08-2009, 04:39 AM   #13
conpewter
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Nov 2007
East Dundee, Illinois
Liked 53 Times on 48 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVD_X View Post
Dogs are smarter than you give credit... that dog probably KNOWS you hate it and took a dump on your carpet just to piss you off.

I agree, the rat knew what it was doing. We had a Cairn Terrier that was punished for peeing on the floor, so it ran into the bedroom, jumped on the bed and laid down a load just as mom was coming into the room.

Primary: Nothin
Secondary: Shady Lord RIS, Water to Barleywine, Pumpkin wine, burnt mead
Kegged: Crappy infected mild
Bottles: Apfelwein, 999 Barleywine, Oatmeal Stout, Robust Porter, Robust smoked porter, Simcoe Smash

Old 12-08-2009, 04:51 AM   #14
Cart
Recipes 

Nov 2009
Shilo, Manitoba, Canada
Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Dogs are wolves... canis lupus, straight up. Canis Lupus Lupus is the grey wolf, Canis Lupis Familiaris is the dawg. I'm not really a dog person (not that I'd mind having a wolf in my house, but I have more of a cat lifestyle) but I've had plenty of success with my sister-in-law's rat-wolves (shi-tzu bichon crosses) by taking an assertive posture and making constant eye contact. Wolves find eye contact from someone bigger pretty intimidating. This may prove more effective than kicking it. Sister-in-law's rats leave the room when I walk in now, and I didn't risk trouble from SWMBO over assaulting them...

Old 12-08-2009, 06:00 AM   #15
doggage

Recipes 

Dec 2008
Fayetteville, Arkansas
Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

With a minimal amount of training by a complete nincompoop (me) our dog will sit, stay, beg, wave, jump up, lie down, and kennel up every time.

We found this effective: prepare to make the dog do what you're going to command, say the command and immediately make it do what you want, then reward it with a treat and a big "Good Boy/Girl!". Do not repeat the command and be ready to immediately make the dog sit before you say the command. This works really well for us.

Old 12-08-2009, 06:32 AM   #16
GregR

Recipes 

Aug 2008
San Diego, CA
Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cart View Post
Dogs are wolves... canis lupus, straight up. Canis Lupus Lupus is the grey wolf, Canis Lupis Familiaris is the dawg. I'm not really a dog person (not that I'd mind having a wolf in my house, but I have more of a cat lifestyle) but I've had plenty of success with my sister-in-law's rat-wolves (shi-tzu bichon crosses) by taking an assertive posture and making constant eye contact. Wolves find eye contact from someone bigger pretty intimidating. This may prove more effective than kicking it. Sister-in-law's rats leave the room when I walk in now, and I didn't risk trouble from SWMBO over assaulting them...
LOL! bichon shi-tsu!

Old 12-08-2009, 07:50 AM   #17
Chudz
Recipes 

Nov 2009
Outside Chicago

I'm not condoning this, since I like dogs; it's just an option based upon what an acquaintance of mine said he did once upon a time.

Situation: Yappy dog that was driving said acquaintance nuts, including copious pooping.

Solution: Acquaintance told new wife that he was taking the dog hunting. Upon his return from hunting, without the aforementioned canine, he simply explained that it ran away. . . .

How much sudz could a Sudz Chudz chugz, if a Sudz Chudz could chugz sudz?

Beer: It's a glassful of Happiness!

Old 12-08-2009, 08:17 AM   #18
jmendez29

Recipes 

Nov 2008
Holland, Michigan
Liked 156 Times on 99 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TipsyDragon View Post
just wait till it's older. Chihuahuas are bred to dig animals out of holes and as such are bred to be barkers. loud shrill barkers.
I was always told that Chihuahuas were bred to eliminate rodents. They're good at chasing them down and getting into their living spaces to chase them out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cford1 View Post
Thats the issue there. Training a dog isn't hard, you just have to do it. Might as well spend the little bit of time to train it and get the benefits for the next 10+ years.

A bad dog is really just a owner with a lack of intelligence. To be blunt...
I read a book awhile back that posed the theory that dogs have a pack mentality. Somebody has to lead the pack and if the owner doesn't act as a leader, then the dog will take the reins and lead the pack. That said, the owner must assert their position as leader and the dog will gladly follow.

Old 12-08-2009, 09:11 AM   #19
wild
Recipes 

Jun 2005
Surprise, AZ.
Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Chihuahuas are great. The only problem is raising them for 18 months.
By then they're big enough to make 3 good size tacos.
  3. Robust Porter
  4. Russian Imperial Stout
  5. Mirror Pond Clone dry hopped with Citra
  6. Mirror Pond Clone dry hopped with Centennial
Primary - Nada
Secondary -
From man's sweat and God's love, beer came into the world. -- Saint Arnoldus

Old 12-08-2009, 11:17 AM   #20
nystevecf

Recipes 

Jul 2008
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cart View Post
by taking an assertive posture and making constant eye contact. Wolves find eye contact from someone bigger pretty intimidating.
Please for the love of god no one follow this advice. My dog would rip your arm off and so will most personal protection trained, police trained,SCHh and guard dogs.