ISO 30+Qt kettle - Page 2 - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > ISO 30+Qt kettle

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 10-18-2006, 01:49 AM   #11
disaffected
Recipes 
 
Aug 2006
Posts: 829
Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by bikebryan
The problem with restraunt supply stores is that they won't sell to the public. You'll need a business license to purchase anything from them. You could try and persuade a legitimate customer to buy it for you, I guess.
You sure about that? That is definitely not true here. I go to AceMart Restaurant Supply all the time, and so do thousands of other people who aren't operating a business. They just ask you at the counter if it's taxable or not.

Heck, most restaurant supply stores would just go out of business if they didn't sell to the public too.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 01:53 AM   #12
Beer Snob
 
Beer Snob's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Dec 2005
Farmington
Posts: 2,041
Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts


The place near me would sell anything to anyone as well. For the price though you might as well get a converted Keg.
__________________
Michael

"Don't worry, have a homebrew." ,"The "Bible"

Cherries in the wheat
Michael's Wheat

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 02:56 AM   #13
disaffected
Recipes 
 
Aug 2006
Posts: 829
Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Beer Snob
The place near me would sell anything to anyone as well. For the price though you might as well get a converted Keg.
I agree. A big 53 quart SS pot at AceMart was going to cost $175. And that's with no fitting for a ball valve. You'd have to drill it for weldless or have a fitting welded on. For $199 you can get an acid-cleaned keggle with two welded fittings for attachment of ball valve and sight tube or temp gauge or whatever.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 03:36 AM   #14
EvilTOJ
 
EvilTOJ's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Dec 2005
Portland, OR, Oregon
Posts: 6,401
Liked 50 Times on 35 Posts


This thread reminds me of something:

*Note to self* Gotta look at buying a turkey fryer on November 24th....

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 01:22 PM   #15
Beer Weevel
Recipes 
 
Sep 2006
Dinuba, CA
Posts: 246
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Staem
Thanks for all the feedback. I went out to a restaurant supplier & got a 24qt today. The next size up they have is the 40qt. I'm probably going to head back & swap mine out for the bigger size. The last thing I want to do is clean up boil-over. It will also be nice to have if I make bigger batches in the future.
I boil in a 40qt polarware pot and I've never had a boil over yet the added size gives you a little more time to catch it. Now that i've said this, the very next brew will probably boil over!!!!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 01:25 PM   #16
Beer Weevel
Recipes 
 
Sep 2006
Dinuba, CA
Posts: 246
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by bikebryan
The problem with restraunt supply stores is that they won't sell to the public. You'll need a business license to purchase anything from them. You could try and persuade a legitimate customer to buy it for you, I guess.
Here in California we have a resturant suppy store called Smart and Final they have a wide range of pots from 4oz stainless to 100qt pots and they sell to the public pretty neet to see all the pots in the same place.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 03:12 PM   #17
Staem
Recipes 
 
Oct 2006
West Chester, PA
Posts: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by beer4breakfast
I agree. A big 53 quart SS pot at AceMart was going to cost $175. And that's with no fitting for a ball valve. You'd have to drill it for weldless or have a fitting welded on. For $199 you can get an acid-cleaned keggle with two welded fittings for attachment of ball valve and sight tube or temp gauge or whatever.
speaking of drilling...anyone know if i need to do anything special to drill a hole in the lid of the stainless pot for a thermometer?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 03:21 PM   #18
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
 
Bobby_M's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Aug 2006
Whitehouse Station, NJ
Posts: 23,245
Liked 1695 Times on 1089 Posts


With a Walmart on just about every square mile of the US, I think the $37 turkey fryer is such a no brainer. If you think you'll get a full boil going on your stove, you either have a restaurant style viking stove or you're wrong. Getting the fryer kit will save you the trouble of going out to buy a separate propane burner. I guarentee you'll be able to get 6.5 gallons boiling with the kit with no boilovers (unless you leave it on high and go watch football for an hour without watching it)
__________________
Welcome to BrewHardware.com. I love you.
Corny Keg Dry Hop Canisters $26.50 for limited time
Chugger Pumps, Pump Kits, Camlocks, Sightglasses, Clear USA made Silicone Tubing, RIMS, Electric Install Parts, etc.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 02:33 AM   #19
Beer Snob
 
Beer Snob's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Dec 2005
Farmington
Posts: 2,041
Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby_M
With a Walmart on just about every square mile of the US, I think the $37 turkey fryer is such a no brainer. If you think you'll get a full boil going on your stove, you either have a restaurant style viking stove or you're wrong. Getting the fryer kit will save you the trouble of going out to buy a separate propane burner. I guarentee you'll be able to get 6.5 gallons boiling with the kit with no boilovers (unless you leave it on high and go watch football for an hour without watching it)
Yeah but then your brewing OUTSIDE. If you got a SWMBO who has no kicked you out yet, why give her the idea?
__________________
Michael

"Don't worry, have a homebrew." ,"The "Bible"

Cherries in the wheat
Michael's Wheat

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 02:28 PM   #20
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
 
Bobby_M's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Aug 2006
Whitehouse Station, NJ
Posts: 23,245
Liked 1695 Times on 1089 Posts


I kicked myself out after i had to clean the stove from a boil over. I'd rather freeze my ass off than to scrub that again.
__________________
Welcome to BrewHardware.com. I love you.
Corny Keg Dry Hop Canisters $26.50 for limited time
Chugger Pumps, Pump Kits, Camlocks, Sightglasses, Clear USA made Silicone Tubing, RIMS, Electric Install Parts, etc.

 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
what to do with a 60 gal kettle? jfish63 Equipment/Sanitation 13 06-29-2009 05:13 PM
How big a kettle? bringitonhome Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 10 05-07-2008 08:53 PM
possible kettle? bjdetwiler Kettles, Mash Tuns & Hot Liquor Tanks 4 03-01-2008 03:58 PM
Turkey Fryer Kettle for Boil Kettle? SenorWanderer General Techniques 3 09-06-2007 07:52 PM
Kettle Harris Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 2 05-25-2007 09:41 PM


Forum Jump