Ss Brewtech’s Biggest Baddest Holiday Giveaway Ever!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Hops Seeds
Old 10-17-2006, 02:21 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default Hops Seeds

Has anyone grown hops from seeds? Reason I'm asking is because last spring I purchased some hops seeds cheap and I was gonna grow them, but I never got around to it. It had more to do with having to build a hops trellis, which from what I heard would have to be quite solid and at least 7 feet tall, to accommodate the sheer size of the plant when it grows. It was a project that I couldn't dedicate much time to, so it fell by the wayside. I guess my question is if anybody here grew good hops from seeds. From what I seen, most posters recommend getting the rhizomes of a known variety and going from there. The seeds are labeled Humulus Lupus, which I believe refers to all hops varieties. I hope the seeds are still good for next spring, and hope I have more ambition than I did this past year..

Old 10-17-2006, 04:13 AM   #2
Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts

I don't know .... the only problem I see I guess is that only a female plant will produce hops. And seeing that many plants take a couple of years to produce many hops even from ryzomes that a long time to wait to tell. Maybe others have more insite.

On Tap: Air
Keg Conditioning: Air
Bottle stock:
Next Up: dunno yet
My Homebrew Stirplate
My eHERMS and home brewery build
Old 10-17-2006, 04:40 PM   #3
Liked 144 Times on 136 Posts

The only people I know that grow hops from seeds are hop breeders. Your seeds are a little like a pig in a poke. They might produce good hops, but more likely they are ornamentals. As mentioned, only the female plants produce flowers & having male plants around will divert energy from making resin to producing seeds.

Ryzomes are only a few bucks each, you'll know what you are getting & typically, you don't need a big (12-16 feet, not 7) trellis until the second year.
Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 10-20-2006, 07:03 PM   #4

here's my experience with trying to grow hops from seeds. maybe it'll help?