Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Winners Drawn!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Green Beer...?

Old 10-17-2006, 02:00 AM   #1
ARV9673
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Green Beer...?

Ok, I know I'm supposed to wait, but it's been awhile (Brewed on 9/7, bottled on 9/27), but it's hard to wait. First batch is bottled and ageing in the "ageing Closet." I tried it after about 10 days in the bottle. The only way I can describe it is "fruity gasoline." Very wierd taste. I had pretty High temps during fermentation (75-80F) and so I was ready for fruity. But Gasoline? I wish I had a more developed beer vocabulary so I could describe it. Very raw, very "not good" ANyway, That was Williams American Ale. I've been tasting it every week, and the gasoline-ness has mostly gone away, but hasn't been replaced by anything really all that good. I did a good sani job on everything, the only thing I can think of was the temp and maybe it being a little watery (had some issues with the LME the first time. Forgot to account for it's mass; almost overflowed EUREKA!!!)
How long should I let it go? 4 months? When does it go from getting better to getting worse? I've got another batch in the primary now (munton Brown ale LME/munton amber DME), so I don't have to put all my hope on this first batch, but I would like to see SOMETHING good come from it. It's not undrinkable, mind you, just not good. Yet...

Old 10-17-2006, 02:15 AM   #2
Carne de Perro
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I'd give it a month or so to mature, that should minimize the gasoline taste. As for the cause... it could be the reaction of that particular yeast strain to the high temps. I tried a bottle of Ommegang the other night (it's normally brewed at temps like yours was) and it had this really medicinal aftertaste. (It was bood w/ homemade baked beans though.)

Old 10-17-2006, 11:01 AM   #3
ARV9673
Recipes 

Beans! Maybe that's it: I've jusy not yet found the correct food with which to drink my beer! Silly me, I was drinking it all by itself.