Spiced Winter Cider - Page 4 - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Cider Recipes > Spiced Winter Cider

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 10-02-2012, 04:54 PM   #31
booherbg
Recipes 
 
Oct 2011
Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 110
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts


Couldn't find sweet gale, used Montrachet wine yeast. Final recipe is a hybrid between this and Edwort's apfelwein:

6gal of 100% apple juice (Kroger)
3lb of Honey (Bulk from Listermann's)
1lb of dark brown sugar
1tbsp cinnamon (instead of 5 cinnamon sticks)
1tbsp nutmet (instead of 1tsp)
8 cloves (crushed).
Montrachet Wine Yeast

Boiled quarter gallon of water + honey + brown sugar + cloves for 30 minutes, added cinnamon and nutmet for last 10 minutes. Added entire mixture to the fermenter after cooling, topped up to 6gallon. OG was 1.065



 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 03:02 PM   #32
xilosen
Recipes 
 
May 2012
Posts: 18
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts


Since people were asking about the taste, to me it tastes similar to Woodchuck's Fall Cider.



 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 01:31 AM   #33
OrangesOfCourse
Recipes 
 
Sep 2012
Houston, Texas
Posts: 23


I was wondering if I could make this be bottle carbonated. I don't have a keg system and wanted to make some for a Christmas party. I was thinking of skipping the Campden tablets and the potassium sorbate. I would use the 3 cans of frozen apple juice concentrate and do a stove top pasteurization after the carbonation is complete. Do you think this will work?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 05:19 AM   #34
bleme
Recipes 
 
Jan 2012
Visalia, CA
Posts: 2,092
Liked 317 Times on 232 Posts


That would work. It's tricky, but it's been done...

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 02:34 AM   #35
everty2007
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
 
everty2007's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jan 2012
Sheboygan, WI
Posts: 106
Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts


Made my spiced cider tonight, did a half batch with some tweaks. Can't wait to try it thanks for the recipes.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 08:05 PM   #36
xilosen
Recipes 
 
May 2012
Posts: 18
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by everty2007 View Post
Made my spiced cider tonight, did a half batch with some tweaks. Can't wait to try it thanks for the recipes.
I just bottled mine still yesterday. Tastes amazing heated up.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 08:06 PM   #37
OrangesOfCourse
Recipes 
 
Sep 2012
Houston, Texas
Posts: 23


Another quick question: If I wanted to make half the batch (2-2.5 gallons) should I just cut everything in half? I ask because not all recipes are linear.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 10:13 PM   #38
everty2007
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
 
everty2007's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jan 2012
Sheboygan, WI
Posts: 106
Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts


I did 2 gallons on apple juice, 1lb of brown sugar, 1lb of dextrose which got me to 1.070 OG.

For spices I did 5 cinn sticks, 1tsp of nutmeg, ginger, and 1/2tsp of cloves. I added yeast nutrient and used US-04.

Got good fermentation going so far.

I plan on using potassium sorbate then back sweeten with some fresh cider. Keg n force carbonate.

Last time I had bottle bombs because I did not stop the yeast oops lol.

Cheers everyone

OrangesOfCourse Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 01:40 AM   #39
bleme
Recipes 
 
Jan 2012
Visalia, CA
Posts: 2,092
Liked 317 Times on 232 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangesOfCourse
Another quick question: If I wanted to make half the batch (2-2.5 gallons) should I just cut everything in half? I ask because not all recipes are linear.
Everything in half will work fine.

OrangesOfCourse Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 04:59 AM   #40
OrangesOfCourse
Recipes 
 
Sep 2012
Houston, Texas
Posts: 23


Quote:
Originally Posted by everty2007 View Post
I did 2 gallons on apple juice, 1lb of brown sugar, 1lb of dextrose which got me to 1.070 OG.

For spices I did 5 cinn sticks, 1tsp of nutmeg, ginger, and 1/2tsp of cloves. I added yeast nutrient and used US-04.

Got good fermentation going so far.

I plan on using potassium sorbate then back sweeten with some fresh cider. Keg n force carbonate.

Last time I had bottle bombs because I did not stop the yeast oops lol.

Cheers everyone
Thanks! I'll try exactly that and hope for the best. Gonna be bottling so no potassium sorbate for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleme View Post
Everything in half will work fine.
Thanks bleme.



 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Spiced winter ale question dregan Recipes/Ingredients 0 09-18-2009 02:40 PM
First Ever Brew & First All Grain- Spiced Winter Ale cyberbackpacker All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 8 12-15-2008 03:13 PM
Spiced Winter Warmer thakoolaidkid Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 2 12-05-2008 04:12 PM
NB spiced winter ale KingC Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 2 12-04-2007 06:15 AM


Forum Jump