Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Porter was good, now tastes like cider!

Old 07-11-2005, 07:36 PM   #1
lgraham
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Porter was good, now tastes like cider!

I recently brewed a porter kit purchased from a LHBS. It was an extract + grain kit ... very easy, right? Brewed up & fermented beautifully, bottled it, tasted it in a couple weeks - not bad. A week or so later take a bunch of it to a family picnic - excellent reviews. Hand a few 6-packs out ... my brother says now that the beer's aged a few more weeks it tastes like cider.

Sure enough I pop one open, smells cidery, tastes funky and sweet, seems to be some extra carbonation in there ...

Any ideas what I've done wrong? I'm VERY into sanitization (Iodophor) and followed my hydrometer readings ... I dont' understand why the beer was so good at first, and then so quickly went bad.

Thanks for any advice you can give me ...

Just bottled: Scottish Heather Ale - YUM

Old 07-11-2005, 08:30 PM   #2
Porter fan
Recipes 

Was it stored cold?How old was it? If not than it went sour on ya.. If the ladder was the case you need too drink it up faster.

Old 07-11-2005, 08:36 PM   #3
lgraham
Recipes 

well, it was all stored in a dark closet for a while although I admit it got kinda warm in that closet. The stuff I took to the picnic was from that closet, and tasted fine that day. Everyone has taken their 6-packs home and refrigerated them, now tastes like cider. I've still got a half-case left in my basement now (we have since moved and I have a WINE (beer) cellar!!) so maybe I'll try a couple more and see what happens. A friend had one a couple weeks ago, didn't complain ... even asked for a 2nd so ...

WEIRD ... maybe I have gremlins.