Spice, Herb, or Vegetable Beer Peppercorn-rye Bock

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nostalgia

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
Bavarian Lager (Wyeast Labs #2206)
Yeast Starter
4l
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
30.3IBU
Color
6.2SRM
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
14 @50
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
21+ @37
Additional Fermentation
none
Tasting Notes
Delicious so far! See below...
This is adapted from a recipe in Extreme Brews by DFH's Sam Caligone. Only through the first pint so far, but the flavor is really interesting. Nice spiciness from the rye followed by a peppery bite. Not for everyone, but definitely something different.

The flaked rye caused me runoff and efficiency headaches. You may want to do a protein rest instead of the single infusion that I did. That seemed to fix my problem on the next batch I did with a lot of flaked oats. I will include both versions here if you don't have Beersmith.

Actual OG and FG were 1.051 and 1.012, respectively.

peppercorn.jpg

The version I made:

Code:
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 %

6.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 
2.50 lb Munich Malt (9.0 SRM) Grain 
2.50 lb Rye, Flaked (2.0 SRM) Grain 

Mash In: Add 16.50 qt of water at 164.8 F 
 60 min - Hold mash at 154.0 F for 60 min 
 --  Drain Mash Tun 
 --  Batch Sparge Round 1: Sparge with 3.87 gal of 168.0 F water. 
 --  Add water to achieve boil volume of 6.42 gal 
 --  Estimated Pre-boil Gravity is: 1.049 SG with all grains/extracts added 

Boil for 60 min Boil Ingredients
60 min 1.00 oz Cluster [7.00 %] (60 min) Hops 
10 min 1.00 oz Hallertauer [4.80 %] (10 min) Hops 
10 min 1.00 tsp Irish Moss (Boil 10.0 min) Misc 
0 min 1.00 tsp Peppercorns (black, milled) (Boil 0.0 min) Misc 
0 min 1.00 tsp Peppercorns (green, milled) (Boil 0.0 min) Misc 

--  Cool wort to fermentation temperature

Version with a protein rest:

Code:
6.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 
2.50 lb Munich Malt (9.0 SRM) Grain 
2.50 lb Rye, Flaked (2.0 SRM) Grain 

Protein Rest: Add 9.90 qt of water at 141.7 F 
 30 min - Hold mash at 130.0 F for 30 min 
 2 min Saccrification: Add 8.80 qt of water at 186.5 F 
 30 min - Hold mash at 154.0 F for 30 min 
 --  Sparge with 3.32 gal of 168.0 F water. 
 --  Add water to achieve boil volume of 6.42 gal 
 --  Estimated Pre-boil Gravity is: 1.049 SG with all grains/extracts added 

Boil for 60 min Boil Ingredients
60 min 1.00 oz Cluster [7.00 %] (60 min) Hops 
10 min 1.00 oz Hallertauer [4.80 %] (10 min) Hops 
10 min 1.00 tsp Irish Moss (Boil 10.0 min) Misc 
0 min 1.00 tsp Peppercorns (black, milled) (Boil 0.0 min) Misc 
0 min 1.00 tsp Peppercorns (green, milled) (Boil 0.0 min) Misc 

--  Cool wort to fermentation temperature

Beerxmls attached for your downloading convenience :)

-Joe

Attachments

• peppercorn.xml
    12.3 KB · Views: 240
  • peppercorn_proteinrest.xml
    14.7 KB · Views: 230
I brought two bombers of this to a party last night. It was a huge hit! People commented on how smooth it is and they loved the flavor. I expected at least some people to be turned off by the peppercorns, but most commented that the flavor was very mild.

I look forward to it aging a little more!

-Joe

from my experience with rye

you will need a protein rest unless you like staying up all night while the filter drips ever so slowly

but then staying up all night with SWMBO is a good way to take your mind off the stuck mash

I'm brewing this right now. Since all my large carboys are being used, I'm just brewing a 1 gallon batch. I am going to ferment with Saflager s-23 because I do not have the ability to ferment at lager temperatures. This yeast says its range is 51-75 degrees F, with an ideal range from 51 to 59 degrees. I can maintain about 60 pretty easily, so that will be what I shoot for. I am also using Irish Moss for the first time in a brew, so I am pretty excited.

I'll come back and post a picture of the final product in about 2 months. Cheers!

Thanks for bumping this! I need to make this for the spring. I love this beer so much :)

Definitely let us know how you make out with the S-23.

-Joe

No problem. I've wanted to brew it for a few months now, but was worried about committing a full 5 gallons in case I didn't like it. But I must say the combined smell of the peppercorns and Hallertauer is getting me very excited. This could be a fantastic taste explosion come drinking time!

Edit: Just finished pitching, and I would consider that a perfect brew day. 1 gallon is cake compared to 5+, but still satisfying. Ended up a little off with a 1.053 OG, but beer nonetheless. I'll see you guys back here in a couple months.

The S-23 has been interesting so far. My only experiences with yeast are limited to Safale US-05. This fermentation started off very slowly but is now churning along at a decent pace. Usually my Safale brews are chugging in about 6-10 hours. It is pretty interesting to see the differences in yeast activity.

I may be making 5 gallons of this brew in the future based on the smell of things so far.

I just finished bottling, and ended up with a 1.012 FG. While racking into the bottling bucket, all I could smell was peppercorn! I am drinking the 8 oz or so that is left over and it tastes like a winner, can't wait for this one to carb up! I'll come back with a pint picture in about a month.

I had this lagering at 37 degrees for 4 weeks. Cleared up great! I think this was the cleanest beer I've made yet. My first lager beer. I got poor efficiency so my OG was only 1.045, so it's not really strong enough for a Bock, but very tasty indeed.

IMG_7485.jpg

I've brewed this a few more times since making this post, and every time it's one of the best beers I've ever made. I definitely want to make this a staple at the brewery!

Back