Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Kegerators and Keezers > HBT members inspired me: My Keezer Project

Old 12-08-2009, 05:01 PM   #31
jlandin
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyc View Post
How did you avoid the refrigerant lines in the side when you drilled for the gas line? Also do you have a plan for the Love temp sensor or just leave it hanging in the freezer?
I'm keeping the CO2 tank inside the freezer, on the hump so I won't need to drill through the side wall. However, if ever I want to have an external gas hookup in the future, I would go out through the lid.

--
Josh

Old 12-08-2009, 05:15 PM   #32
shadowmage36
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlandin View Post
I'm keeping the CO2 tank inside the freezer, on the hump so I won't need to drill through the side wall. However, if ever I want to have an external gas hookup in the future, I would go out through the lid.

--
Josh
+1 Whenever you're running lines into a chest freezer, the best way is either through the lid where there are never any coolant lines simply because of how they are built (lids have to be removeable), or through the collar if you're building a keezer with a collar on it.

Unfortunately I'm at work right now and can't see all the awesome, but I will definitely be checking this thread again when I get home today!

Two Ravens Brewing

"Quaintest thoughts - queerest fancies
Come to life and fade away;
What care I how time advances?
I am drinking ale today."
-E.A. Poe, "Lines on Ale"

Follow me on Twitter: @tworavensbrew

Member of the American Society of Brewing Chemists
http://www.asbcnet.org

Old 12-08-2009, 05:29 PM   #33
IrregularPulse
Hobby Collector
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3028 Times on 2934 Posts
Likes Given: 149

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowmage36 View Post
+1 Whenever you're running lines into a chest freezer, the best way is either through the lid where there are never any coolant lines simply because of how they are built (lids have to be removeable), or through the collar if you're building a keezer with a collar on it.

Unfortunately I'm at work right now and can't see all the awesome, but I will definitely be checking this thread again when I get home today!
I'm dealing with this problem right now. Removed my collar for weight and it wasn't needed for height any more. Now I don't have a way to bring my Love probe in/ It's too short to go around back through the lid and down to the bottom of the freezer.

I should have stuck to four fingers in Vegas. :o - marubozo's mom

Old 12-08-2009, 05:39 PM   #34
johnnyc
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

Doh! I should have read the descriptions better. The holes I saw that look like they go through the freezer wall are the access screws for the hinges. Oh well. I may go through the lid/coffin for my gas line, a 20lb tank = another keg.

Fermenting: Yooper's Oktoberfest

Old 12-08-2009, 05:48 PM   #35
jlandin
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrregularPulse View Post
It's too short to go around back through the lid and down to the bottom of the freezer.
I'm not sure about your freezer model, but it looks like there are no coils in the hump on mine. You could potentially drill there. I would think if you leave the freezer off to warm up, then kick the compressor on, you should be able to feel the hump with your hand after a few minutes and see if it has coils in it.

Edit: I haven't figured out a plan for the probe on mine yet. I've read of people submerging them in blue-goo, or even in a sand-filled yeast vial. I'm not too clear on the physics involved, but what's wrong with just having the bulb exposed inside the freezer? Is there a best-practice for this sort of thing on the Love controllers?

--
Josh

Old 12-08-2009, 05:55 PM   #36
Rick500
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I have my temp probe hanging in the middle of the freezer, not touching anything. I have a couple of computer case fans circulating the air inside, and have the controller set to keep the temperature within a range of 2 degrees, so the compressor is not constantly cycling on and off. Seems to be working well.

Old 12-09-2009, 01:36 PM   #37
IrregularPulse
Hobby Collector
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3028 Times on 2934 Posts
Likes Given: 149

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlandin View Post
I'm not sure about your freezer model, but it looks like there are no coils in the hump on mine. You could potentially drill there. I would think if you leave the freezer off to warm up, then kick the compressor on, you should be able to feel the hump with your hand after a few minutes and see if it has coils in it.

Edit: I haven't figured out a plan for the probe on mine yet. I've read of people submerging them in blue-goo, or even in a sand-filled yeast vial. I'm not too clear on the physics involved, but what's wrong with just having the bulb exposed inside the freezer? Is there a best-practice for this sort of thing on the Love controllers?

--
Josh
I the idea with submeging the probe I believe if that the air temperature will change more quickly then it would take for a volume of liquid or goo be affected by a change. More closely simulating the temperature swings of the beer inside the keg. Remember the idea is to controller the beer's temperature, not specifically the air around them.

Thanks for the HUMP info. i maybe shoot an email to Magic chef to confirm.

I should have stuck to four fingers in Vegas. :o - marubozo's mom

Old 12-09-2009, 05:30 PM   #38
jlandin
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrregularPulse View Post
I the idea with submeging the probe I believe if that the air temperature will change more quickly then it would take for a volume of liquid or goo be affected by a change. More closely simulating the temperature swings of the beer inside the keg.
Thanks for the info, that makes sense.

The brown truck just came and brought me this:

I also ordered a half barrel of Sierra Nevada Celebration to help break in the keezer alongside my homebrew!

--
Josh

Old 12-09-2009, 05:31 PM   #39
Rick500
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Is that the probe on the left? Wow, that's much, much heftier than the one I'm using.

Old 12-09-2009, 05:35 PM   #40
jlandin
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick500 View Post
Is that the probe on the left? Wow, that's much, much heftier than the one I'm using.
It sure is! The thing is more beefy than I thought it would be. Not a special order or anything, just the standard one that comes with the TS13010.

--
Josh