Edit: Build started 11.21.09 and completed 12.13.09. Final build cost here
. Here's the completed keezer pic:
Well, I've been lurking around this forum for a few weeks and this is my first post. I really enjoy all of the amazing DIY projects you guys have come up with on here. So in my travels through the posts, I came across Jester's original keezer thread
and WOW! It totally blew me away. This really inspired me to expand beyond my 2 keg day-tap setup in the bottom of the garage beer fridge.
Thus was born, my very own keezer project, which I thought I would share with those that shared with me.
While the majority of my design came from Jester's original post, there are MANY others that continue to help me through this learning process. My duct system is based on Rockybottom's post
, lots of posts on Love controllers (like John Beere's kickass ferm cabinets
), and on and on.
The project is not done yet, but here is where I've gotten so far. I'll continue to post my progress here and I plan to finish in the next couple of weeks. Sorry for the picture quality, these are from my blackberry.
First, I picked up a Frigidaire 14.8 cu ft on craiglist (8 corney's plus CO2) and some wood. I built a dolly using 2x6s and put in 2 fixed and 2 swivel castors:
Framed up the sides with 2x4s. My overall surface height target is a standard 42" bar height:
I cut the plastic out of the lid interior and found the insulation to be pretty lame. I replaced the insulation and then put a 3/4" piece of plywood on top of the door and a 1/4" piece of plywood on the inside of the door. It's all sandwiched together with 3 1/2" bolts with barbed t-nuts.
I then skinned the front and sides with 1/4" tongue and groove sanded pine (I will do the back once I get the light wiring complete):
I built a hinged access door on one side where the compressor access is:
I'm putting in 4 taps with perlick 525ss faucets:
I'm still waiting on the arrival of the love controller, stainless drip tray, shanks with stainless shrouds, and a few other odds and ends.
I've just started on the coffin. I still need to built the hinged access door on the back, plumb in the shanks, and insulate the duct:
All in all, I'm please with the progress. I have a huge collection of commercial bottle caps that we were thinking about using on the surface as a glassed-in mosaic. I'm not sure, tile or stone seems a lot easier.
Anyway, thanks to everyone on this forum for all of your amazing projects that inspired me. If you have any comments, questions, or suggestions, they are very welcomed. I'll be updating as things progress.