Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > First brew suggestion?

Old 12-04-2009, 06:33 PM   #1
Lazy8s
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default First brew suggestion?

So I did get the CL freezer I was asking about earlier. I ordered a starter brewing kit from Austin Home Brew and it, along with the keg and secondary glass fermenter came in yesterday!! I am still waiting on my temp regulator and kegerator conversion kit but hopefully that will get here next week.

So now comes the first brew. Unfortunately the wife and I much prefer lager to ales. I'm not sure I want to start out that way though I technically have the supplies for it. We really like Yeunglings and Sam Adams. There is a place called BJs (a chain) that makes a hefeweisen we like so I thought perhaps that is the way to go? I could order a kit from AHB but I would like to support mu local home brew store for convenience and because I am just like that. Unfortunately, I live in Orlando and their website is not very good. (If I buy there much I may offer them a new one for supplies or something because I can hardly stand it; hopefully they aren't board members and I just offended them lol).
http://www.heartshomebrew.com/home_brew_beer.cgi

I found a recipe here
http://www.brew-dudes.com/simple-hefeweizen-recipe/246
I could get 6.6lbs of Munton's Wheat LME, the LHB store sells the hops as well, but all I could find was Bavarian liquid yeast, nothing marked Hefeweisen. Is it possible for me to make this from what is availae at the LHB store? Is there a better recipe?

Sorry in advance if anything I asked is overly trivial; I really tried to read first but there is so much out there!! I just don't want to wind up with a crappy Budweiser clone for my first beer!!

Reason: Spelling

Old 12-04-2009, 06:55 PM   #2
Dos_Locos_Brewery
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

For a Hefeweizen, you want one of these strains:

3056 - Bavarian Wheat Blend
3333 - German Wheat
3638 - Bavarian Wheat
3068 - Weihenstephan Weizen

I used to shop all the time at Hearts when I lived in Orlando, and they aren't too bad a brewshop. I'd be surprised if they didn't have any of these. I think they also carry White Labs, but it's been 10 years since I've shopped there.

Old 12-04-2009, 08:01 PM   #3
Lazy8s
Recipes 

Awesome they have the 3056 and 3068. I found a discussion on here where someone already asked the differences. It seems unfortunately I may be jumping the gun here as it seems hefe needs to ferment at about 65degrees to taste right. Guess I have to wait forthe temp control after all. So much for New Year beer. :-( A week late is better than nothing though, right?