Winter Seasonal Beer Jolly Roger Christmas Ale - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Specialty, Fruit, Historical, Other Homebrew Recipes > Winter Seasonal Beer Jolly Roger Christmas Ale

Old 12-04-2009, 06:11 PM   #1
humann_brewing
More Humann than human
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Oct 2008
the sun
Liked 328 Times on 324 Posts

Recipe Type: All Grain   
Yeast: WLP007   
Yeast Starter: 3000ml   
Batch Size (Gallons): 5.5   
Original Gravity: 1.085   
Final Gravity: 1.017   
IBU: 87   
Boiling Time (Minutes): 90   
Color: 13.5   
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 42 @ 68   
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 14 @ 65   
Tasting Notes: Wow! This is tasting great, fresh hop aroma with the sweet notes of the munich   

This beer is modeled after the Maritime Pacific Jolly Roger Christmas Ale which is a seasonal beer made in Seattle. 9% ABV it is not for the weak, tasting at 8 weeks there was no alcohol warmth and it tasting really nice. I was planning on bottling the whole batch of this because I didn't think it was going to be drinkable until next winter buy quite the contrary, this stuff is great! I hopped it up more that initially planned in prep to store it and still have hop character but so far I like it the way it is.

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 5.50 gal
Boil Size: 7.33 gal
Estimated OG: 1.085 SG
Estimated Color: 13.5 SRM
Estimated IBU: 88 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 81.00 %
Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
14.10 lb Great Western 2 Row (2.0 SRM) Grain 89.81 %
0.80 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 75L (75.0 SRM) Grain 5.10 %
0.80 lb Caramunich Malt (60.0 SRM) Grain 5.10 %
1.75 oz Chinook [11.50 %] (90 min) Hops 56.4 IBU
1.00 oz Cascade [6.50 %] (30 min) Hops 13.1 IBU
0.80 oz Chinook [11.50 %] (30 min) Hops 17.4 IBU
1.00 oz Cascade [6.50 %] (0 min) Hops -
1.00 oz Chinook [11.50 %] (0 min) Hops -
1.00 oz Chinook [13.00 %] (Dry Hop 14 days) Hops -
1.00 oz Cascade [5.50 %] (Dry Hop 14 days) Hops -
1 Pkgs Dry English Ale (White Labs #WLP007) [StarYeast-Ale

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Light Body, Batch Sparge
Total Grain Weight: 15.70 lb
----------------------------
Single Infusion, Light Body, Batch Sparge
Step Time Name Description Step Temp
60 min Mash In Add 20 qt of water at 163.5 F 152.0 F

Old 10-26-2010, 08:57 PM   #2
BulldogBrewer
Recipes 

Oct 2009
Out of My Mind, CA
Liked 199 Times on 199 Posts

This recipe looks good man, I may have to try it out. You sure do like your hops don't you.

Bottle: Apfelwein, Cranegranate Apfelwein
On Deck: Sweet Stout

Quote:
Let me bring you up to speed, we know nothing... You are now up to speed.

Old 10-29-2010, 03:25 PM   #3
humann_brewing
More Humann than human

Recipes 

Oct 2008
the sun

I do like the hops

Old 09-20-2012, 02:57 PM   #4
troyh
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Jul 2012
Liked 29 Times on 21 Posts

Old thread, I know, but I brewed this yesterday. Jolly Roger is also one of my favorite Winter beers. OG is 1.087, I used Maris Otter as the base and put the aroma hops in a hop jack. Tastes good so far. Thanks for the recipe!

Old 09-26-2012, 04:08 AM   #5
humann_brewing
More Humann than human

Recipes 

Oct 2008
the sun

Quote:
Originally Posted by troyh View Post
Old thread, I know, but I brewed this yesterday. Jolly Roger is also one of my favorite Winter beers. OG is 1.087, I used Maris Otter as the base and put the aroma hops in a hop jack. Tastes good so far. Thanks for the recipe!
The MO should go good with the WLP007, giving you a almost earthy taste in the end. Hope it turns out good for you. I remember it being amazing fresh, but lost it's luster with time, I like the hops though. I actually still have a couple bottles of this and had one about a month ago. It is essentially a barleywine now but too much sediment in the bottle because my process at the time. Good in it's own right though.

Old 10-09-2012, 05:08 AM   #6
bwirthlin
Recipes 

Jan 2012
Liked 53 Times on 38 Posts

Thanks for posting this! I love Jolly Roger. I'm not set up for all grain yet so I'm going to try and make an extract/specialty grain recipe based on yours. I live in Vegas and LOVE Seattle. I try to make it up there as often as possible, but with a new baby it's probably going to be a while before I'll be able too again. I'm currently 3 batches deep on a pale ale recipe I designed thats very heavily influenced by Manny's, another one of my favorite northwest beers. Vegas is not exactly a great place for micro brews, we've got a few spots that make some pretty great beers but nothing close to the stuff you can get in the northwest. If I post my recipe on here would you mind giving it a look and let me know what you think?

Old 10-09-2012, 12:10 PM   #7
2BeerSpeer

Recipes 

Jul 2011
Mt. Airy, NC
Liked 37 Times on 31 Posts

Sounds good

Keg #1 --- ....Empty
Keg #2 --- Highland Brewing- Cold Mtn. Winter Ale
Keg #3 --- Dickens Cider
Keg #4 --- (Nitro) ....Empty
Keg #5 --- Birdsong Brewing- Mexicali Stout
Keg #6 --- Skull Camp Brewing- Knuckle Dragger IIPA
Keg #7 --- Skull Camp Brewing- Lazy Bones Porter

2 Beer on untapped: https://untappd.com/user/2beerspeer

humann_brewing Likes This 
Old 10-11-2012, 03:55 AM   #8
humann_brewing
More Humann than human

Recipes 

Oct 2008
the sun

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwirthlin View Post
Thanks for posting this! I love Jolly Roger. I'm not set up for all grain yet so I'm going to try and make an extract/specialty grain recipe based on yours. I live in Vegas and LOVE Seattle. I try to make it up there as often as possible, but with a new baby it's probably going to be a while before I'll be able too again. I'm currently 3 batches deep on a pale ale recipe I designed thats very heavily influenced by Manny's, another one of my favorite northwest beers. Vegas is not exactly a great place for micro brews, we've got a few spots that make some pretty great beers but nothing close to the stuff you can get in the northwest. If I post my recipe on here would you mind giving it a look and let me know what you think?
no problem, all the non base malts do not need to be mashed so you could literally replace the 2 row with extract and steep the Crystal and caramunich. Do you do a full boil?

Old 10-11-2012, 04:40 AM   #9
bwirthlin
Recipes 

Jan 2012
Liked 53 Times on 38 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by humann_brewing

no problem, all the non base malts do not need to be mashed so you could literally replace the 2 row with extract and steep the Crystal and caramunich. Do you do a full boil?
I haven't done a full boil yet, but I've got the capability to. I just don't have a wort chiller so I usually do 2.5-3 gallon boils. I was planning on sticking to the same recipe you've got but was just going to figure out the amount of dme to add. Since I think 14 lbs might be a little too much.

Old 10-11-2012, 09:07 PM   #10
humann_brewing
More Humann than human

Recipes 

Oct 2008
the sun

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwirthlin View Post
I haven't done a full boil yet, but I've got the capability to. I just don't have a wort chiller so I usually do 2.5-3 gallon boils. I was planning on sticking to the same recipe you've got but was just going to figure out the amount of dme to add. Since I think 14 lbs might be a little too much.
most definitely, I would imagine for a 2.5-3g batch, you are looking at something like 5-6lbs but that is just a guess there are tons of online calculators or better yet, buy beersmith.