Winter Seasonal Beer Jolly Roger Christmas Ale - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Specialty, Fruit, Historical, Other Homebrew Recipes > Winter Seasonal Beer Jolly Roger Christmas Ale

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 12-04-2009, 06:11 PM   #1
humann_brewing
More Humann than human
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
humann_brewing's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Oct 2008
the sun
Posts: 15,536
Liked 328 Times on 324 Posts


Recipe Type: All Grain   
Yeast: WLP007   
Yeast Starter: 3000ml   
Batch Size (Gallons): 5.5   
Original Gravity: 1.085   
Final Gravity: 1.017   
IBU: 87   
Boiling Time (Minutes): 90   
Color: 13.5   
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 42 @ 68   
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 14 @ 65   
Tasting Notes: Wow! This is tasting great, fresh hop aroma with the sweet notes of the munich   

This beer is modeled after the Maritime Pacific Jolly Roger Christmas Ale which is a seasonal beer made in Seattle. 9% ABV it is not for the weak, tasting at 8 weeks there was no alcohol warmth and it tasting really nice. I was planning on bottling the whole batch of this because I didn't think it was going to be drinkable until next winter buy quite the contrary, this stuff is great! I hopped it up more that initially planned in prep to store it and still have hop character but so far I like it the way it is.

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 5.50 gal
Boil Size: 7.33 gal
Estimated OG: 1.085 SG
Estimated Color: 13.5 SRM
Estimated IBU: 88 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 81.00 %
Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
14.10 lb Great Western 2 Row (2.0 SRM) Grain 89.81 %
0.80 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 75L (75.0 SRM) Grain 5.10 %
0.80 lb Caramunich Malt (60.0 SRM) Grain 5.10 %
1.75 oz Chinook [11.50 %] (90 min) Hops 56.4 IBU
1.00 oz Cascade [6.50 %] (30 min) Hops 13.1 IBU
0.80 oz Chinook [11.50 %] (30 min) Hops 17.4 IBU
1.00 oz Cascade [6.50 %] (0 min) Hops -
1.00 oz Chinook [11.50 %] (0 min) Hops -
1.00 oz Chinook [13.00 %] (Dry Hop 14 days) Hops -
1.00 oz Cascade [5.50 %] (Dry Hop 14 days) Hops -
1 Pkgs Dry English Ale (White Labs #WLP007) [StarYeast-Ale


Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Light Body, Batch Sparge
Total Grain Weight: 15.70 lb
----------------------------
Single Infusion, Light Body, Batch Sparge
Step Time Name Description Step Temp
60 min Mash In Add 20 qt of water at 163.5 F 152.0 F




 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 08:57 PM   #2
BulldogBrewer
Recipes 
 
Oct 2009
Out of My Mind, CA
Posts: 1,153
Liked 199 Times on 199 Posts


This recipe looks good man, I may have to try it out. You sure do like your hops don't you.


__________________
Primary: Hophead Summer Ale, Watermelon Wheat
Secondary: Empty
In the Keg: Red IPA, Centennial Blonde, Hophead Summer Ale, Pliny Clone
Bottle: Apfelwein, Cranegranate Apfelwein
On Deck: Sweet Stout

Quote:
Let me bring you up to speed, we know nothing... You are now up to speed.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 03:25 PM   #3
humann_brewing
More Humann than human
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
humann_brewing's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Oct 2008
the sun
Posts: 15,536
Liked 328 Times on 324 Posts


I do like the hops

 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 02:57 PM   #4
troyh
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
 
troyh's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jul 2012
Posts: 168
Liked 29 Times on 21 Posts


Old thread, I know, but I brewed this yesterday. Jolly Roger is also one of my favorite Winter beers. OG is 1.087, I used Maris Otter as the base and put the aroma hops in a hop jack. Tastes good so far. Thanks for the recipe!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 04:08 AM   #5
humann_brewing
More Humann than human
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
humann_brewing's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Oct 2008
the sun
Posts: 15,536
Liked 328 Times on 324 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by troyh View Post
Old thread, I know, but I brewed this yesterday. Jolly Roger is also one of my favorite Winter beers. OG is 1.087, I used Maris Otter as the base and put the aroma hops in a hop jack. Tastes good so far. Thanks for the recipe!
The MO should go good with the WLP007, giving you a almost earthy taste in the end. Hope it turns out good for you. I remember it being amazing fresh, but lost it's luster with time, I like the hops though. I actually still have a couple bottles of this and had one about a month ago. It is essentially a barleywine now but too much sediment in the bottle because my process at the time. Good in it's own right though.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 05:08 AM   #6
bwirthlin
Recipes 
 
Jan 2012
Posts: 218
Liked 53 Times on 38 Posts


Thanks for posting this! I love Jolly Roger. I'm not set up for all grain yet so I'm going to try and make an extract/specialty grain recipe based on yours. I live in Vegas and LOVE Seattle. I try to make it up there as often as possible, but with a new baby it's probably going to be a while before I'll be able too again. I'm currently 3 batches deep on a pale ale recipe I designed thats very heavily influenced by Manny's, another one of my favorite northwest beers. Vegas is not exactly a great place for micro brews, we've got a few spots that make some pretty great beers but nothing close to the stuff you can get in the northwest. If I post my recipe on here would you mind giving it a look and let me know what you think?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 12:10 PM   #7
2BeerSpeer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
2BeerSpeer's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jul 2011
Mt. Airy, NC
Posts: 806
Liked 37 Times on 31 Posts


Sounds good
__________________
__________


Keg #1 --- ....Empty
Keg #2 --- Highland Brewing- Cold Mtn. Winter Ale
Keg #3 --- Dickens Cider
Keg #4 --- (Nitro) ....Empty
Keg #5 --- Birdsong Brewing- Mexicali Stout
Keg #6 --- Skull Camp Brewing- Knuckle Dragger IIPA
Keg #7 --- Skull Camp Brewing- Lazy Bones Porter


2 Beer on untapped: https://untappd.com/user/2beerspeer

humann_brewing Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 03:55 AM   #8
humann_brewing
More Humann than human
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
humann_brewing's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Oct 2008
the sun
Posts: 15,536
Liked 328 Times on 324 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by bwirthlin View Post
Thanks for posting this! I love Jolly Roger. I'm not set up for all grain yet so I'm going to try and make an extract/specialty grain recipe based on yours. I live in Vegas and LOVE Seattle. I try to make it up there as often as possible, but with a new baby it's probably going to be a while before I'll be able too again. I'm currently 3 batches deep on a pale ale recipe I designed thats very heavily influenced by Manny's, another one of my favorite northwest beers. Vegas is not exactly a great place for micro brews, we've got a few spots that make some pretty great beers but nothing close to the stuff you can get in the northwest. If I post my recipe on here would you mind giving it a look and let me know what you think?
no problem, all the non base malts do not need to be mashed so you could literally replace the 2 row with extract and steep the Crystal and caramunich. Do you do a full boil?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 04:40 AM   #9
bwirthlin
Recipes 
 
Jan 2012
Posts: 218
Liked 53 Times on 38 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by humann_brewing

no problem, all the non base malts do not need to be mashed so you could literally replace the 2 row with extract and steep the Crystal and caramunich. Do you do a full boil?
I haven't done a full boil yet, but I've got the capability to. I just don't have a wort chiller so I usually do 2.5-3 gallon boils. I was planning on sticking to the same recipe you've got but was just going to figure out the amount of dme to add. Since I think 14 lbs might be a little too much.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 09:07 PM   #10
humann_brewing
More Humann than human
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
humann_brewing's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Oct 2008
the sun
Posts: 15,536
Liked 328 Times on 324 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by bwirthlin View Post
I haven't done a full boil yet, but I've got the capability to. I just don't have a wort chiller so I usually do 2.5-3 gallon boils. I was planning on sticking to the same recipe you've got but was just going to figure out the amount of dme to add. Since I think 14 lbs might be a little too much.
most definitely, I would imagine for a 2.5-3g batch, you are looking at something like 5-6lbs but that is just a guess there are tons of online calculators or better yet, buy beersmith.



 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Maritime pacific Brewery Jolly Roger Christmas Ale Clone humann_brewing Recipes/Ingredients 40 10-10-2012 06:25 PM
Roger Protz comments on my RIS MattHollingsworth General Beer Discussion 4 08-16-2010 06:49 PM
Jolly Roger Christmas Ale.... BrewOnBoard Commercial Brew Discussion 1 01-12-2009 09:07 PM


Forum Jump