Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > Serving a Beer Snob

Old 12-04-2009, 12:54 AM   #1
Julohan
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default Serving a Beer Snob

I am a server with a couple good beers in stock at the restaurant. This guy comes in and I greet him. Right away he says "I am a beer snob." I just say okay. Then he asked what we have on tap. I tell him the only two goods ones we have on tap (Dogfish Head 60 min, and Great Lakes Dortmunder).

He has never hear of either of the breweries. I understand he has never heard of Great Lakes, but I would imagine a beer snob would of heard of Dogfish Head. Anyway, He head no idea what an IPA was. He had no clue what a Dortmunder was. So I described them. He wanted me to reccommend one. So,

I am just thinking this guy thinks he is a beer snob but doesn't know much. So I told him to get the Dortmunder (a very tasty brew by the way), I chose it because it seemed like he hasn't tried much beer past a BMC. So this was the closest of the two. In the end he enjoyed very much.

It just caught off guard, having right away proclaim himself a beer snob. Then asking me all these questions. Which I enjoy answering questions about beer for people who have are curious. But this guy was just very snobby.

P.S. I though of this after reading a blog posted from Boerderij_Kabouter, so I thought I would share.

Old 12-04-2009, 01:03 AM   #2
khiddy
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Weird, eh? If he comes back, ask him what some of his favorite beers are. That will tell you a bit about what HE thinks it means to be a "beer snob".

Bottled: Ye Olde Tyme Holiday Ale (9/26/10); Dick Beer (2/15/12); Candy's Dad's Homebrew (2/27/12)
Apfelweins: Crapfelwein (4/4/12); Apfelweinlager 34/70 (2/26/12)
Kit Wines: Fisher-Price My First Amarone (4/1/12); Rosso Magnifico (4/17/12)
On Deck: Albertus Magnus DIPA

Old 12-04-2009, 01:16 AM   #3
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 6249 Times on 4453 Posts
Likes Given: 1686

I've starting announcing myself as a beer snob, at some places. Because then, you don't have to say, "Corona, Coors, Coors Light, Bud Light, Budweiser, MGD, etc" when I ask you what kind of beer you have available.

Now, if you answer, "Oh! We have a good selection, with tap beers from DFH and Great Lakes and bottled beers from Great Lakes, Rogue, etc", then we've cut about 3 minutes of your time out of the equation. I thought it would be considerate to do that to a server when I have NO intention of ordering a BMC and really want to just know what craft offerings you have.

I've tried saying, "Hi! Do you have any craft beers available either on tap or in bottles?" but I get the entire litany, "Hello. We have Corona, Coors, Coors Light, Budweiser, Bud Light" etc. because many servers don't know what a craft beer is, but they sure know a beer snob beer, if only by reputation.

Follow me on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans
But I'm pretty boring so don't expect much!
https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans

Old 12-04-2009, 04:26 AM   #4
Domminigan

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 5

That's a good idea. I've got places around here that have huge beer lists.

Old 12-04-2009, 04:32 AM   #5
annasdadhockey
Recipes 

Liked 41 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julohan View Post
Right away he says I am a beer snob.
I was a bit confused here, I thought he called you a beer snob...then I read the rest.
What beer snob has never heard of DFH?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfc View Post
Things are going great too. I think I've only punched her in the face 3 times!
FERMENTING: Heady Topper Clone?
CONDITIONING: 40 gallons KBS clone in a Jim Beam Barrel (since 11/24/12)
DRINKING: Smoked Robust Porter, Orange Coriander Pale Ale #5
THINKING: first foray into lagers?

Old 12-04-2009, 05:12 AM   #6
MrInternet
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julohan View Post
I am just thinking this guy thinks he is a beer snob but doesn't know much. So I told him to get the Dortmunder (a very tasty brew by the way), I chose it because it seemed like he hasn't tried much beer past a BMC. So this was the closest of the two. In the end he enjoyed very much.
This actually doesn't surprise me... IME, most BMC drinkers consider someone a beer snob if they order the "expensive stuff", whatever it is... I've even had someone call me a beer snob for ordering Sam Adams before. So I would think the reverse might be true, that someone that is a "Reformed" BMC drinker considers themselves a beer snob because they order Sam Adams or Shiner Bock. I probably would have been that guy 8 years ago...

Old 12-04-2009, 05:54 AM   #7
r2eng
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I use the term "beer geek" rather than snob. People here kinda' get it and skip the BMC list.

However, this doesn't mean that they won't serve a frozen glass and 32F Belgian Abbeys! I always ask for an unfrozen glass.

Old 12-04-2009, 06:06 AM   #8
Julohan

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Yeah, a a lot of times when I go to a bar I ask for an unfrozen glass and usually get a funny look.
crammer Likes This 
Old 12-04-2009, 06:13 AM   #9
Zen_Brew
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 23 Posts

Maybe he is an old school beer snob. He gave up the Bud years ago to move up to the premium stuff.....Michelob

I mean I'm sure there are plenty of premium beer drinkers who don't care for the hop bite of an IPA, but I don't imagine there are too many who have never heard of the style.

Using the mind to look for reality is delusion. Using your senses to look for reality is awareness.

"One time I was so desperate for a beer I snuck into the football stadium and ate the dirt under the bleachers." Homer Simpson

Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Hoppiness

Old 12-04-2009, 06:47 AM   #10
northernlad
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I sell restaurant equipment and i have been tempted to call Perlick and the other companies and ask them WTF is up with a 10 degree glass chiller. I don't want ice beer, just a glass that maintains the temp the beer is poured. There is nothing worse than chiseling an iceberg off your glass.

On the OP tip, I am still trying to find the best way to avoid the waste of time a server spends on listing anything BMC on tap with out sounding like an asshole.