Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Open to All!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > British Ale, Hefe, Lager Yeasts in One Beer...

Old 10-15-2006, 08:53 PM   #1
Evan!
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 76 Times on 65 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default British Ale, Hefe, Lager Yeasts in One Beer...

I brewed the Honey-Ginger Winter Warmer on Friday. 1.095 OG. I oxygenated the cooled wort before pitching. I made a starter, too, which susbequently had its own blowoff, and ka-sploded all over the shower...

Anyway, even after the blowoff, there was still plenty of viable yeasties, and fermentation started quickly. Thing is, the yeast was a wacko blend of German Hefe, British Ale, and Bavarian Lager strains, from a local brewpub. Fermentation is very vigorous right now. I shined a flashlight at the carboy, and you can see particles rising from the bottom (lager) and falling from the top (ale), so that the whole thing is swirling around. Pretty cool...I've never used ale and lager strains simultaneously before.

Anyway, I'm wondering: should I treat it like an ale, or a lager? I'm thinking of just aging it at colder temps (basement temps, low 60s, high 50s), and then the worst thing that happens is that I get a little bit of fruity esters from the lager, but I doubt it'll matter too much, given how high the gravity is, and the fact that there is a ton of ginger and other spice in there too. Thoughts?

.planned:
•Scottish 80/- •Sweet Stout •Roggenbier
.primary | bright:
98: Moss Hollow Soured '09 72: Oude Kriek 99: B-Weisse 102: Brett'd BDSA 104: Feat of Strength Helles Bock 105: Merkin Brown
.on tap | kegged:
XX: Moss Hollow Springs Sparkling Water 95: Gott Mit Uns German Pils 91b: Brown Willie's Oaked Abbey Ale 103: Merkin Stout
98: Yorkshire Special 100: Maple Porter 89: Cidre Saison 101: Steffiweizen '09 (#3)

Old 10-15-2006, 11:38 PM   #2
Carne de Perro
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Alright, I've never brewed a lager before so this is just my 2 pence based on book knowledge. Personally I'd treat it more like an ale. The ale yeast will ferment happily at the warmer temps and the lager yeast will too (maybe try to keep the temp in the lower 60s). If you keep it too cold the ale yeast might go into hibernation which defeats the pupose of them being there (right?). I'm sure one of the more experienced folks will have better advice but Ithought I'd throw it out there.

Old 10-15-2006, 11:58 PM   #3
Chairman Cheyco
***DRAMATIZATION***
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

I'd try to keep things on the cooler side. Warm lager yeast will get stressed and produce off-flavors, whereas cool ale yeast will be slow but ferment fairly cleanly. More harm can come from too hot than too cold in this case.

Old 10-16-2006, 04:06 AM   #4
Brewsmith

Recipes 

Liked 56 Times on 54 Posts

I'm curious as to what the hefe yeast in there will make the end result taste like. Please report back when it's done.
Fermenting:#160 Apollo/Calypso Pale Ale
Kegged:#153 Old Helicon Barleywine 2013, #157 Irish Red, #158 Mosaic IPA, #159 Bravo/Delta ESB
Up Next:Brown Porter, American Stout, Imperial Stout
My Recipes
Tuba Sonata

Smith & Co. Custom Tap Handles

Old 10-16-2006, 04:50 AM   #5
Biermann
Reinvented Biermann
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 20 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chairman Cheyco
I'd try to keep things on the cooler side. Warm lager yeast will get stressed and produce off-flavors, whereas cool ale yeast will be slow but ferment fairly cleanly. More harm can come from too hot than too cold in this case.

I second Chairman's post completely. Ale yeast will produce no off flavors when cool, but will ferment more slowly. Lager yeast may produce some f'd up flavors when warmer, but will be at its ideal when cooler.

Ferment at a cooler range (low 60's, upper 50's--would be a good compromise).

Holding tanks:Sold
Conical #1:Sold
Bottles: Nichts
On Deck:

Old 10-16-2006, 01:02 PM   #6
Evan!

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biermann
I second Chairman's post completely. Ale yeast will produce no off flavors when cool, but will ferment more slowly. Lager yeast may produce some f'd up flavors when warmer, but will be at its ideal when cooler.

Ferment at a cooler range (low 60's, upper 50's--would be a good compromise).
As it turns out, that's about the temp of my basement right now, which is where she's fermenting. So I guess I'm where I need to be. Thanks for the advice. I'll report back when I have a chance to taste. As of this morning, fermentation is still vigorous---better than 1 airlock bubble per second.

.planned:
.primary | bright:
98: Moss Hollow Soured '09 72: Oude Kriek 99: B-Weisse 102: Brett'd BDSA 104: Feat of Strength Helles Bock 105: Merkin Brown
.on tap | kegged:
XX: Moss Hollow Springs Sparkling Water 95: Gott Mit Uns German Pils 91b: Brown Willie's Oaked Abbey Ale 103: Merkin Stout
98: Yorkshire Special 100: Maple Porter 89: Cidre Saison 101: Steffiweizen '09 (#3)

Old 10-16-2006, 01:25 PM   #7
Ol' Grog
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Won't this be like a race? Again, temperature dependent, but if the ale yeast takes off first, won't it deplete the available fermentable sugar in the brew leaving the lager yeast in there which will die and then sulfur flavor will be sure to be pronounced? Autolysis???

Old 10-16-2006, 03:22 PM   #8
Evan!

Recipes 

Given that I don't plan on leaving it in primary for a long enough time for that to happen, I'm not worried about it. As I understand it, Autolysis takes a long time to begin injecting off flavors in your beer. Perhaps if I were to leave the beer in primary for 2 months, then I'd worry...but I figure a week, maybe ten days, before I rack to secondary.

.planned:
.primary | bright:
.on tap | kegged:

Old 10-16-2006, 03:23 PM   #9
chillHayze

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol' Grog
Won't this be like a race? Again, temperature dependent, but if the ale yeast takes off first, won't it deplete the available fermentable sugar in the brew leaving the lager yeast in there which will die and then sulfur flavor will be sure to be pronounced? Autolysis???
Yeah the strains will be in competition, but they don't kill each other directly, if that's what you mean. Noticable flavors from autolysis take months to develop if kept in the low 60's and the yeast is healthy i.e from a starter, which it is.

That sounds like a really neat blend of yeasties. Do report back on the tastings!

Old 10-16-2006, 03:28 PM   #10
Evan!

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chillHayze
Yeah the strains will be in competition, but they don't kill each other directly, if that's what you mean. Noticable flavors from autolysis take months to develop if kept in the low 60's and the yeast is healthy i.e from a starter, which it is.

That sounds like a really neat blend of yeasties. Do report back on the tastings!
Will do. I'm excited about this batch...

Also, while on the subject of yeasties, I HIGHLY reccommend the Wyeast Belgian Abbey Ale. Probably the best I've used so far.

.planned:
.primary | bright:
.on tap | kegged: