Old 08-18-2011, 11:43 PM   #11
JonK331

Recipes 

Nov 2009
Fremont, CA
Liked 32 Times on 32 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrownsBrewing View Post
I just got off of the phone with Freshops and they feel hops wont do well in the Islands because of the warm weather year round and the shortness of day light. Also, mildew could pose a problem. I am going to try some Cascade rhizomes in the spring as testers.
The days are longer there in the winter than they are here.

Old 03-03-2012, 09:56 AM   #12
BloodyThumb
Recipes 

Oct 2011
Pukalani, HI

I've been curious about this as well. Did you try it? How did it work out?

Old 03-03-2012, 06:30 PM   #13
sweetcell
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Jan 2012
Rockville, MD
Liked 940 Times on 686 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrownsBrewing View Post
Also, mildew could pose a problem. I am going to try some Cascade rhizomes in the spring as testers.
cue my broken record: check out the link in my signature for some information on disease resistance. cascades appear to be a solid choice. other varieties that show good resistance: newport, nugget, spalt select, sterling, wiliamette. but YMMV, environmental factors (like how well the soil drains, for example) also play a role.
- Drinking: NHCPA (BPA and APA made with ingredients from Baltimore), 2 blends of a rye sour: ECY20 + ECY34, local sour cherry kriek #2, brett'ed Belgian blond on raspberries
- Aging: sour blond on second-use cherries, English Barleywine (half on brett), 3726 saison w/ brett x2 (dregs mix & Lochristi), GNO 3724 saison w/ brett mix, sour cherry mead, acerglyn, and a few other sours...

Old 04-14-2012, 02:09 AM   #14
BrownsBrewing
Recipes 

Feb 2009
Woodland, CA
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Just planted the rhizomes in Maui. They seem to be doing ok so far.

Old 04-14-2012, 05:11 AM   #15
Turner5
Recipes 

Mar 2011
Fort Collins, Colorado
Liked 5 Times on 2 Posts

I'm no hops expert but the March/April issue of Zymurgy had an article on brewing in tropical regions. In the article it said "In Costa Rica and other countries near the equator, growing hops is either impractical or impossible since they need the longer summer days found farther north and south."

Old 08-30-2013, 10:20 PM   #16
usmc9498
Recipes 

Aug 2013
Woodland / Lahaina, CA / HI
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

My rhizomes were neglected when I came back to the mainland. I spent a month prepping for coffee harvest in june of this year and spent a week taking care of the bines that were not doing so well. I got them in bigger pots, strung them up, and added worm castings. I got a picture from the farm and we have cones on atleast one plant.

Used to post under BrownsBrewing but havent for a long time.

Old 08-30-2013, 10:25 PM   #17
usmc9498
Recipes 

Aug 2013
Woodland / Lahaina, CA / HI
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Here is the picture. Taken just outside of Lahaina, HI
Click image for larger version

Name:	487947_706444539371496_1596461331_n.jpg
Views:	258
Size:	37.8 KB
ID:	145292  

lavaleaper Likes This 
Old 08-31-2013, 12:16 AM   #18
FuzzeWuzze
I Love DIY
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Jun 2012
Newberg, Oregon
Liked 416 Times on 306 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turner5 View Post
I'm no hops expert but the March/April issue of Zymurgy had an article on brewing in tropical regions. In the article it said "In Costa Rica and other countries near the equator, growing hops is either impractical or impossible since they need the longer summer days found farther north and south."
I think a lot of that has to do with commercial yields though. Of course places like OR/WA/ID are going to have the best climates for giant commercial farming. Just like we'd be stupid to try and grow pineapples to farm here. Technically its possible for individuals but not really commercial scale lol.

Old 09-08-2013, 10:55 PM   #19
lavaleaper
Recipes 

Sep 2013

You got cones! That is so cool! I live on Maui too, and wanted to try growing hops in my yard but can't find a supplier that will ship starts to Hawaii. Was wondering if I might obtain a snippet of rhizone for me to try my luck on? If no can no worries! Good luck on yours and let us know how it goes and if you harvest and brew any up!!!