Hops in Hawaii

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hilohwn

Reaction score
Anyone in hawaii growing Hops? I'm interested in growing some for my brews but can't find anyone here growing......If anyone has some clippings or rhizomes (I know it's late) I'll pay for em with shipping....
thanks
:tank:

sssssshhhhhh...... the hops are sleeping now.

You'll probably have to wait until spring to get rhizomes from a grower or a farm.

Should be interesting to see how they adapt to the day length in Hawaii though. Good luck.

Send me a reminder in Feburary and I will ship them to you, if you pick up the shipping and packaging costs. I am planning on doing my root trimming then.
I'd be curious to see how well they grow.
BTW, what FD are you with?

.I'll definitely get back at you for the rhizomes...thanks for the reply.:mug: .

they'll grow just fine but i don't believe they'll develop cones... i'm fairly certain hawaii is outside the flowering zone. :(

Hawaii has different areas with varying climates....The area I would like to plant has a climate similar to Northern Cali....i dunno....just wanted to give it a shot!:drunk:

I just got off of the phone with Freshops and they feel hops wont do well in the Islands because of the warm weather year round and the shortness of day light. Also, mildew could pose a problem. I am going to try some Cascade rhizomes in the spring as testers.

Its really about the length of the days, not the actual climate.

+1. Hawaii is much closer to the equator so it doesnt have seasons like the continental US. I wouldn't be surprised if you could grow them all year round, of course they might not grow at all. More likely is that it is illegal to grow them there as they would probably take over. Dept. of Ag is pretty strict there. ever hear of the lady that brought some Lantana and now its considered an invasive pest?

I just got off of the phone with Freshops and they feel hops wont do well in the Islands because of the warm weather year round and the shortness of day light. Also, mildew could pose a problem. I am going to try some Cascade rhizomes in the spring as testers.

The days are longer there in the winter than they are here.

Also, mildew could pose a problem. I am going to try some Cascade rhizomes in the spring as testers.

cue my broken record: check out the link in my signature for some information on disease resistance. cascades appear to be a solid choice. other varieties that show good resistance: newport, nugget, spalt select, sterling, wiliamette. but YMMV, environmental factors (like how well the soil drains, for example) also play a role.

I'm no hops expert but the March/April issue of Zymurgy had an article on brewing in tropical regions. In the article it said "In Costa Rica and other countries near the equator, growing hops is either impractical or impossible since they need the longer summer days found farther north and south."

My rhizomes were neglected when I came back to the mainland. I spent a month prepping for coffee harvest in june of this year and spent a week taking care of the bines that were not doing so well. I got them in bigger pots, strung them up, and added worm castings. I got a picture from the farm and we have cones on atleast one plant.

Used to post under BrownsBrewing but havent for a long time.

Here is the picture. Taken just outside of Lahaina, HI

487947_706444539371496_1596461331_n.jpg

I'm no hops expert but the March/April issue of Zymurgy had an article on brewing in tropical regions. In the article it said "In Costa Rica and other countries near the equator, growing hops is either impractical or impossible since they need the longer summer days found farther north and south."

I think a lot of that has to do with commercial yields though. Of course places like OR/WA/ID are going to have the best climates for giant commercial farming. Just like we'd be stupid to try and grow pineapples to farm here. Technically its possible for individuals but not really commercial scale lol.

You got cones! That is so cool! I live on Maui too, and wanted to try growing hops in my yard but can't find a supplier that will ship starts to Hawaii. Was wondering if I might obtain a snippet of rhizone for me to try my luck on? If no can no worries! Good luck on yours and let us know how it goes and if you harvest and brew any up!!!

Hops need a cold (freezing) dormant winter.

Back