Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Fermentables vs Non-Fermentables

Old 12-04-2009, 07:07 AM   #11
skou
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Crystal malt extract doesn't ferment. (Even if it is you that extracts it.) If you used 2 pounds of crystal malt, the extract from it is going to remain as unfermentable sugar.

Go back to your LHBS, and see if you can see the sticker on that black 55 gallon drum. Find out who made it. I used to work at the LHBS, and we used Briess exclusively for our bulk LME. My old LHBS in Honolulu used black drums, and I never had any problems.

steve

Old 12-04-2009, 07:57 PM   #12
Spyd3r
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

The LHBS uses Muntons. I called to see if they had any complaints about high FG numbers, and they blamed it on me hydrating the yeast. lol

She said that the only reports she got from stuck fermentations came from people the hydrated dry yeast.

She also suggested that I use 5 feet of 1/4" beer line in my kegerator too...lol

Keg 1 - Starsan
Keg 2 - Suckerpunch Pale Ale
Up Next - ?

Old 12-04-2009, 10:53 PM   #13
rocketman768
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 21 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyd3r View Post
The LHBS uses Muntons. I called to see if they had any complaints about high FG numbers, and they blamed it on me hydrating the yeast. lol
Psh...whatever dude. Just get used to the fact that extract beers will finish a little high and try to plan for it in the future. In fact, you can replace a little bit of the extract with some corn sugar if it bothers you.

Old 12-05-2009, 12:35 AM   #14
skou
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I'm still thinking it is those 2 pounds of crystal malt. That is a lot for a 5 gallon recipe.

steve

Old 12-05-2009, 12:55 AM   #15
KayaBrew
Recipes 

Liked 137 Times on 119 Posts
Likes Given: 118

Really, 1.030 is not a bad FG for a beer that started at 1.080. I made an AG Oatmeal Stout that had an OG of 1.064, and it finished at 1.024. I was sorta pissed about it (expected it to get down to 1.016ish) until I tasted it at bottling. It was great!

Old 12-05-2009, 01:42 AM   #16
maida7
Recipes 

Liked 47 Times on 40 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by skou View Post
I'm still thinking it is those 2 pounds of crystal malt. That is a lot for a 5 gallon recipe.

steve
Yeah you could easily cut that in half. Crystal adds some carmelized sugars that will give a sweet toffee flavor. If your shooting for a dry tasting beer then this is not what you want a ton of.

Old 12-05-2009, 01:54 AM   #17
skou
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by maida7 View Post
Yeah you could easily cut that in half. Crystal adds some carmelized sugars that will give a sweet toffee flavor. If your shooting for a dry tasting beer then this is not what you want a ton of.
Let's try this again.

Most of the sugars in crystal malt do NOT ferment. Crystal malt is used to give residual sweetness, as well as mouth feel, along with taste. You have 2 pounds of crystal malt, along with 11 pounds of pale LME. Most recipes I've seen, call for 1/4 to 1/2 pound of crystal. I wouldn't use 2 pounds, and I like my beers with the crystal taste in them. Uncle Charlie lists crystal malt as having unfermentable sugars.

I'm shocked you ended up at 1.030! I would have guessed about 1.035-40. Also, Nottingham won't ferment out completely.

Someone mentioned 72% attenuation, with 2 pounds of crystal and 11 pounds of LME? That's pretty dang good!

steve

Old 12-05-2009, 02:10 AM   #18
Spyd3r
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Let's try this again.

Most of the sugars in crystal malt do NOT ferment. Crystal malt is used to give residual sweetness, as well as mouth feel, along with taste. You have 2 pounds of crystal malt, along with 11 pounds of pale LME. Most recipes I've seen, call for 1/4 to 1/2 pound of crystal. I wouldn't use 2 pounds, and I like my beers with the crystal taste in them. Uncle Charlie lists crystal malt as having unfermentable sugars.

I'm shocked you ended up at 1.030! I would have guessed about 1.035-40. Also, Nottingham won't ferment out completely.

Someone mentioned 72% attenuation, with 2 pounds of crystal and 11 pounds of LME? That's pretty dang good!

steve
Relax man.

I never doubted what you said. I'm new to brewing, and learn something new with each batch. The recipe I used I found online and just worked it from there. If the recipe is flawed, then I'll take that as a lesson learned.

If 1.030 is the best that I'm gonna get, then I'll have to take it. Beersmith suggested otherwise, which is the only reason that I looked to you guys for help.

RDWHAHB!
Keg 1 - Starsan
Keg 2 - Suckerpunch Pale Ale
Up Next - ?

Old 12-05-2009, 02:11 AM   #19
maida7
Recipes 

Liked 47 Times on 40 Posts

Quote:
Let's try this again.

steve
I think we are saying the same thing

Old 12-05-2009, 02:22 AM   #20
Brewerforlife
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 108

Not all the extract from caramel/crystal malt is un-fermetable, albeit most won't ferment,
but some is fermentable. Generally the lighter, 10L-30-L versus 60L-120L will have alot
less.