Blichmann Beer Gun questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thor the Mighty

Reaction score
1) By force carbonating using this gun, do you kill any chance of the beer maturing naturally after it is bottled?

2) I don't have a kegging system, so is there any way i can hook this up to a bottling bucket, and still get the same results?

3) Does anyone have any experience with this gun that would not recommend it?

thanks.

1) By force carbonating using this gun, do you kill any chance of the beer maturing naturally after it is bottled?

2) I don't have a kegging system, so is there any way i can hook this up to a bottling bucket, and still get the same results?

thanks.

1. Bottle conditioning will produce different results, but beer still ages in bottles without the yeast being as present. I prefer bottle conditioning for long term aging, but it isn't 100% necessary.

2. No. this is only for people with kegs.

3. I love mine. People will chime in about the BMBF (search for it on here) and say it is a cheap alternative and that's cool and all, but I like the co2 handling of the beer gun and I think it is a great product.

thanks.
I think you miss what a Beer Gun is for. It is not for force carbonating and putting in a bottle. It is for bottling from a keg. If you don't keg, a beer gun is going to do less than nothing for you.

I don't have the gun, but I will tell you that it cannot be used without a kegging system. You also can't force carb without kegs either. I'd suggest getting a keg setup, then figuring out how you want to bottle.

EDIT: fixed typo

Beer gun works great. Father-in-law brought me a couple bottles of IPA that we had beer-gunned around a year and a half ago. Still great carbonation, head, flavor (though hop aroma was lacking).

Also, it's easy to refill your glass during beer-gunning. :)

Beware the beer shower though! After beer-gunning for awhile (and drinking along with it), you may eventually end up pulling the purge button after you've already started filling the bottle. :drunk: :eek:

Also, it's easy to refill your glass during beer-gunning. :)

Heh. That never occurred to me. The beer gun as a rich mans tap handle. Get long enough tubing and just keep 5 beer guns attached to 5 kegs. Fill your glass from 20 feet away. Why get up?

Doesn't sound like the beer gun is going to fit the OP's needs, but +1 to the device itself. Can't imagine bottling off a keg without it.

I'd like to challenge that a beer gun can not be used without a kegging set up. I'll start by saying I don't mean it's advantageous to have one without, just that it can indeed be used in one form or another without a kegging set up. Think of the beer gun as an expensive bottle filler. Attach it to the end of your bottling bucket tubbing, insert into bottle, pull trigger, and your filling your bottle. If you had a CO2 tank you could hook that up and purge the bottles before filling.

Back