Baby Cabin Fever! - Page 2 - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Drunken Ramblings and Mindless Mumbling > Baby Cabin Fever!

Old 12-03-2009, 08:23 PM   #11
mattmcl
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Oct 2008
Erie, CO
Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts

I'm with you. I had a really tough time when my son was born, and it puts a huge strain on the marriage because you both have to redefine who you are. Taking them places is tough unless you're prepared with the diaper bag, and changing a 3 week old in the woods at night isn't going to leave you with clean hands.

Beg your wife for 1 hour on the weekends and hit the woods with no regrets.

And hang in there, it's brutal at first, but then it gets SOOOO good. My kid is 6 and he loves doing anything with me. It feels like this is how it will be forever, but it's not.

Old 12-03-2009, 10:11 PM   #12
Palefire

Recipes 

Jun 2009
SF, CA
Liked 12 Times on 9 Posts

Agree with everyone else - get in the habit of taking the baby outside with you. Walking with the baby in a sling is a great way for dads to get some quality time with the kid and for you to get out of the house. Honestly, the amount you stay in the house generally depends on you, not the kid; babies love to sleep in a carrier close to their parents, so feel free to put her in it as much as you need. Our son basically lived in a carrier on my chest for the first three months of his life.

We took our dude to a party when he was one week old; now about every two weeks or so we take him to different friends' houses for dinner parties or whatever. He's gotten used to going down at a few people's houses (he's almost a year old), so it's rarely a problem anymore.

Old 12-15-2009, 11:06 PM   #13
TJ-Bill
Recipes 

Oct 2008

Well I'm doing ok guys.. I've had a few chances to go out and work on the wheeler, took the dogs for a walk last friday night and Still kept the wife happy. She has a few things planned this week/weekend so I'll have some me time.

Only thing I'm worried about is gaining weight now.. geeessshh.. I have a couple beer everynight since I'm inside and it's right there.. PLus I\m not nearly as active as I used to be.. hehe

Primary: Double Oatmeal Stout
Primary: Red Ale
Primary: German Ale
Primary: Empty

Kegged: Smoked Ale
Kegged: Spring Pilsner
Kegged: Apfelwein
Kegged: Swamp

Bottled: Irish Maple Cream

On deck: IPA

Old 12-15-2009, 11:18 PM   #14
Boerderij_Kabouter

Recipes 

Dec 2007
Oconomowoc, Wisconsin
Liked 148 Times on 120 Posts

My wife and I started a new thing this past weekend. We are doing a child-free morning every Saturday. Last week, I watched our daughter until 1:00pm and my wife did whatever the hell she wanted until then and I can't say anything about it. Next Saturday, I have the day until 1:00pm all to myself. I can get drunk, brew, go running, whatever.

I think this will be really nice, just to have a small amount of time for selfish need kind of stuff. You might try that.

Old 12-16-2009, 12:03 AM   #15
Palefire

Recipes 

Jun 2009
SF, CA
Liked 12 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ-Bill View Post
Well I'm doing ok guys.. I've had a few chances to go out and work on the wheeler, took the dogs for a walk last friday night and Still kept the wife happy. She has a few things planned this week/weekend so I'll have some me time.

Only thing I'm worried about is gaining weight now.. geeessshh.. I have a couple beer everynight since I'm inside and it's right there.. PLus I\m not nearly as active as I used to be.. hehe
Good to hear that you're figuring it out. Seems like it's always an adjustment, especially as the kid starts growing and his/her sleep patterns change, as he/she gets into different activities, etc. It's really hard sometimes to remember to do the things that keep you sane (and I know that I've had to pare that list down a bunch), but you'll be a better parent if you do.

As far as the weight gain goes ... well, can't help you much there. I've managed to stay about 10-15 pounds above where I like to be (which is not bad for me), but I really miss being able to go to the gym or go running every day. Just trying to be careful about what I eat until the schedule will let me start working out again!

Old 12-16-2009, 03:26 AM   #16
FireBrewer

Recipes 

May 2007
Fallston, MD
Liked 14 Times on 12 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ-Bill View Post
Good to hear.

Quote:
That and the stress of taking care of a baby, sleep deprivation, etc. All play into it. But that's another thread.

Old 12-16-2009, 04:12 AM   #17
TJ-Bill
Recipes 

Oct 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palefire View Post
As far as the weight gain goes ... well, can't help you much there. I've managed to stay about 10-15 pounds above where I like to be (which is not bad for me), but I really miss being able to go to the gym or go running every day. Just trying to be careful about what I eat until the schedule will let me start working out again!
I actually have a make shift gym in the basement.. a silly stupid weight machine .. and then about 300lbs of free wights with 2" Olympic bars.. I'm slowing working this into my--OUR schedule.. I actually got out for 45min tonight to work on the 4wheeler...

Primary: Double Oatmeal Stout
Primary: Red Ale
Primary: German Ale
Primary: Empty

Kegged: Smoked Ale
Kegged: Spring Pilsner
Kegged: Apfelwein
Kegged: Swamp

Bottled: Irish Maple Cream

On deck: IPA