Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Kolsch Yeast Question?

Old 12-02-2009, 02:22 AM   #1
flagman
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Kolsch Yeast Question?

I did two all grain batches in the past two days, one was a Kolsch and the other is Blonde that I am using the same yeast in. I used Wyeast 2565 Kolsch in both. According to Wyeast it has a range of 56-70 degree's F. I normally ferment Ale at 65F but after reading about the yeast having lager like qualities I decided to try it. I cranked the chest down to 58 degrees and they are both setting in the fermentor now a steady 58F.

My question is does anyone have experience with this yeast?
Is there any noticable difference in taste between 56 and 65 degree's?

My plan is to lager both of them for a couple months after I move them to a bright tank in a couple weeks. I have read that it really improves the Kolsch so I thought I would try a Blonde at the same time.

This is my first try at a Kolsch, any thoughts?

Old 12-02-2009, 04:43 PM   #2
malkore

Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 9

yep, use that yeast for any kolsch i made. if you ferment it warmer you get more esters and phenols. kolsch is supposed to be a really clean tasting beer, hence the use of a yeast strain that is technically an ale, but acts like a lager in many respects. keep it cool to get a good kolsch that's true to style (no bubblegum or fruit esters, no clove phenols).

Bottled: MOAM, Braggot, Raspberry Melomel, Merlot, Apfelwein, Pyment, Sweet mead, Cabernet
Gal in 2009: 27, Gal in 2010: 34, Gal in 2011: 13, Gal in 2012: 10

Old 12-02-2009, 06:36 PM   #3
petep1980

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I am using this yeast on a pseudo lager. I was off in my ferment temps a little. Mine were around 62-63, and I wanted 60, but I figured it should be close. In 6 weeks I can tell you how lager-ish the yeast really is.

Old 12-02-2009, 06:54 PM   #4
TwoHeadsBrewing
Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 2

58-60F is perfect for the Wyeast 2565 Kolsch yeast strain. I've used this many times, and have never been disappointed with the results when fermenting at 58F. After fermentation is finished, lager for 4-6 weeks @ 37F and you'll have a very nice beer. It's one of the most popular on tap at my house!

Fermenting: ESB
Kegged: Extra IPA, Brown Ale, American Wheat, Blackheart Stout
Coming Up: Dunkleweizen, 3C Pale Ale

DIY Fermentation Chamber
More Brew Stuff

Old 12-02-2009, 07:10 PM   #5
khiddy
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I just finished and racked my Henry's Clone done with Wyeast 2565 into a keg to begin a 4-week lagering, though I don't know if I'm going to be able to keep the bride off of the tap that long. As I told her, the last pint will be the tastiest one, since it's the only pint that will have actually conditioned for four weeks. I fermented this batch in the low 60's. I am pretty pleased with the taste of the hydro samples, so we'll see how it tastes chilled down and carbonated.

Interestingly, though Henry's claims their beer is a Pale Ale, I hear that it's fermented with the same lager strain that they use for all of their beers. Given that, I figured either I could use a Kolsch yeast or go Anchor-style and try it with a lager yeast at warmer temps. This first attempt, I went with the Kolsch, and if I do it again, I might try the San Francisco Lager strain (Wyeast 2112).
Bottled: Ye Olde Tyme Holiday Ale (9/26/10); Dick Beer (2/15/12); Candy's Dad's Homebrew (2/27/12)
Apfelweins: Crapfelwein (4/4/12); Apfelweinlager 34/70 (2/26/12)
Kit Wines: Fisher-Price My First Amarone (4/1/12); Rosso Magnifico (4/17/12)
On Deck: Albertus Magnus DIPA

Old 12-02-2009, 07:46 PM   #6
flagman
Recipes 

Thanks for the replies,

Both batches have already developed a very nice krausen on top and the airlocks are rockin so I guess so far so good. The Kolsch is 58 degree's and the Blonde is 59 degree's, ambient temp in my fermentor is 56F.

I have been reading about this yeast having lager like qualities so I decided to try it in a Blonde that I keep on tap all the time. I have never had a Kolsch in my life so I decided what the heck i'll brew one when I do the blonde so they can ferment and age together.

I have been concerned about complete attenuation at these temps but I guess Wyeast wouldn't publish 56F if it wouldn't work. I also read that a Kolsch does not age well and begins to oxidize with time. But I guess this is true with most low alcohol light beers.

Old 12-02-2009, 10:11 PM   #7
malkore

Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 9

i had no attenuation problems.

the one thing i'll say is that you won't have that hint of sulphur that a typical lager will have, and that'll be tasted in the final beer. it'll be a really clean ale.

kolsch shouldn't oxidize any faster than another beer. however because it is lower alcohol, not highly hopped, and not a terribly complex malt profile, it should hit its peak flavor at a young age. the longer it sits the more flavor it'll lose, like a wit or a hefe. it doesn't need to age long like a porter or stout.
Bottled: MOAM, Braggot, Raspberry Melomel, Merlot, Apfelwein, Pyment, Sweet mead, Cabernet
Gal in 2009: 27, Gal in 2010: 34, Gal in 2011: 13, Gal in 2012: 10

Old 12-02-2009, 11:48 PM   #8
UncleMule
Recipes 

I have used the White Labs Kolsch yeast fermented at 60*F and have had NO problems with attenuation.

Old 12-03-2009, 01:49 AM   #9
flagman
Recipes 

I took a peak and both brews have a very nice layer of Krausen and are very active. I think they will be fine. I cant wait to try them in a couple months I bet they will be great.

First Kolsch I will have ever had, anyone know of a commercial one. I have never seen one on the shelves before.

Thanks for the replies, I will let you know how they turn out.

Old 12-03-2009, 01:54 AM   #10
Clonefarmer
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by flagman View Post
First Kolsch I will have ever had, anyone know of a commercial one. I have never seen one on the shelves before.
Reissdorf Kolsch is good. I've only seen Kolsch in a brew pub otherwise.