Cost difference betwen AG and extract brewing? - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Cost difference betwen AG and extract brewing?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 12-01-2009, 08:40 PM   #1
Richard-SSV
Recipes 
 
Oct 2009
Lake Dallas
Posts: 158
Liked 9 Times on 6 Posts



I was playing around with recipes on Brewmaster's Brew Builder and if I'm not mistaken it appears that AG brewing is a little cheaper than brewing with extract. Is this correct for the most part?

If so, I would imagine that the cost of setting up for AG brewing may be offset by the lower cost of ingredients over time. Hmmmmn.......

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 08:42 PM   #2
Synovia
Recipes 
 
Jan 2009
Chicago, Il
Posts: 1,330
Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard-SSV View Post
I was playing around with recipes on Brewmaster's Brew Builder and if I'm not mistaken it appears that AG brewing is a little cheaper than brewing with extract. Is this correct for the most part?

If so, I would imagine that the cost of setting up for AG brewing may be offset by the lower cost of ingredients over time. Hmmmmn.......
Its not a little cheaper, its a lot cheaper, as long as you're buying in bulk.


I made 5G of a mild the other day, and I think the ingredient cost was about $7. When I was buying extract kits, they were $30+

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 08:46 PM   #3
maida7
Recipes 
 
Nov 2009
Asheville, NC
Posts: 2,827
Liked 48 Times on 41 Posts


Do a search and/or check out the similar threads at the bottom of this page. It seams that this has been discussed with some intensity is the recent past.

Straight fact is that the grain for all grain is cheaper then the malt extract equivalents. But all the other raw materials required to make beer are the same price.

There is more equipment required to brew all grain but the cost of that equipment can vary significantly.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 08:46 PM   #4
mmb
Jazz Hands!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
mmb's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Feb 2008
WBMI
Posts: 30,270
Liked 4051 Times on 3802 Posts


Depending on what type of equipment you get for All Grain, you can offset prices very quickly. You don't need the fancy single tier systems with pumps and whatnot to do an all grain batch.

With the brew in a bag all grain setups, all you need are a burner, an 5G paint strainer bag and a large enough pot to boil the wort.

Add bulk purchases of grain and hops to that and my average 1.045OG batch comes in a little under $14, including yeast.
__________________
Black Phantom Brewing Company

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 08:50 PM   #5
maida7
Recipes 
 
Nov 2009
Asheville, NC
Posts: 2,827
Liked 48 Times on 41 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Synovia View Post
Its not a little cheaper, its a lot cheaper, as long as you're buying in bulk.


I made 5G of a mild the other day, and I think the ingredient cost was about $7. When I was buying extract kits, they were $30+
I'm gonna call BS on this one. There are plenty of extract kits for under 30.00 just like there are all grain kits that cost more then 30.00.

You could just as easily buy bulk extract and brew the same mild for only slightly more then the all grain.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 08:55 PM   #6
humann_brewing
More Humann than human
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
humann_brewing's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Oct 2008
the sun
Posts: 15,536
Liked 328 Times on 324 Posts


I agree that all grain is considerable cheaper for the ingredients but it seems like I am spending above and beyond any ingredient savings on equipment daily. I am slowly trying to build a single tier system and it is not cheap.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 09:00 PM   #7
alcibiades
Recipes 
 
Jun 2009
Stafford, Virginia
Posts: 719
Liked 15 Times on 12 Posts


ya, going all grain is expensive because of the equipment. Not to mention the other variables - energy, time, sordid obsession development, etc.

I honestly think the best value might be partial mash (because you dont have to do full boils)...

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 09:07 PM   #8
HomerJR
Recipes 
 
Oct 2009
Indiana
Posts: 309
Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by maida7 View Post
I'm gonna call BS on this one. There are plenty of extract kits for under 30.00 just like there are all grain kits that cost more then 30.00.

You could just as easily buy bulk extract and brew the same mild for only slightly more then the all grain.
Who said all extract kits were over $30, and all AG kits were less than that? The guy was speaking from his own experience.

Overall, doing similar recipes with each, AG will be significantly cheaper than extract, especially if you're buying hops and grain in bulk, and reusing yeast. I can easily see a low-OG, low-IBU brew costing around $7.00.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 09:15 PM   #9
dunnright00
Recipes 
 
Aug 2009
San Diego
Posts: 1,457
Liked 23 Times on 21 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by maida7 View Post
I'm gonna call BS on this one. There are plenty of extract kits for under 30.00 just like there are all grain kits that cost more then 30.00.

You could just as easily buy bulk extract and brew the same mild for only slightly more then the all grain.
I haven't seen too many extract kits for under $30 including shipping AND yeast(unless you use a dry yeast pack).
I keep seeing these deals and thinking I should go for that. Then I see that you have to add the yeast and it ups the price by 8-9 bucks. Plus shipping...
__________________
Caspean Ales and Cider

“There is an ancient Celtic axiom that says, ‘Good People Drink Good Beer.’ Which is true, then as it is now. Just look around you in a public barroom and you will quickly see: Bad People Drink Bad Beer. Think about it.”
-- Hunter S. Thompson,

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 09:18 PM   #10
maida7
Recipes 
 
Nov 2009
Asheville, NC
Posts: 2,827
Liked 48 Times on 41 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerJR View Post
Who said all extract kits were over $30, and all AG kits were less than that? The guy was speaking from his own experience.

Overall, doing similar recipes with each, AG will be significantly cheaper than extract, especially if you're buying hops and grain in bulk, and reusing yeast. I can easily see a low-OG, low-IBU brew costing around $7.00.
And I could see the same beer made with bulk extract costing 10.00. So were talking about a theoretical 3.00 difference. That's not a big difference in my book.

Further more, if you went to brew a very hoppy beer, the fairly meager price difference shrinks.

 
Reply With Quote


Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
cost of All grain vs extract ?? illnastyimpreza All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 32 05-16-2009 10:32 PM
Difference in Dry Malt Extract and Liquid Extract ohill1981 Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 6 12-09-2008 03:44 PM
Cost: Extract vs. All Grain $$$$ RedOctober Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 12 10-13-2008 08:39 PM
Cost of All-Grain Vs. Extract! limey lou General Beer Discussion 43 04-04-2008 06:15 PM
Cost Difference AG vs Extract Blaine All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 36 01-24-2007 12:59 AM


Forum Jump