Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Too Much Yeast

Old 12-01-2009, 08:20 PM   #1
Nickhouse80
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Too Much Yeast

I used Nottingham and White Labs American Ale yeast in the same 5 gallon batch. (Just experimenting) Now I have an unbelievable amount of yeast settlement. I could only siphon about 3 gallons out of the primary to the secondary because there was literally 4.5 inches of yeast in the bottom of my carboy. Did I use too much yeast or is there another way to avoid this? Probably a stupid question.

Old 12-01-2009, 08:23 PM   #2
rsmith179
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Sounds like you may have more of a trub problem than too much yeast. The yeast are only going to multiply to a certain point, definately not 2 gallons worth. I have a feeling that what you're seeing in the bottom is a lot of hot/cold break proteins, hop sediment, and some yeast. Post a pic if you can...

Old 12-01-2009, 09:26 PM   #3
Paddle_Head
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Yeah, it might have just needed longer to clear a little. How long was it in primary and what temp?

Old 12-01-2009, 10:21 PM   #4
pericles
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Did you wait your usual amount of TIME, or just transfer when you got the right hydrometer readings? Remember, GRAVITY plays a part in compacting the trub, so even if your double shot of yeast sped up primary fermentation a little, gravity takes just as long to compact your trub.
Kegged: American Wheat
Bottled: Belgian Golden Ale.
Planning: American Amber

Old 12-02-2009, 06:14 AM   #5
Nickhouse80
Recipes 

I didn't even think to take a pic. A lot of it was probably trub but it was the most vicious fermentation I've seen yet. It was in primary for 2 weeks at 68 degrees and the trub was completely compacted. I tried to strain as much as I could when I started the primary but obviously didn't get all of it. I had a lot of ingredients in this one, more than usual.