water building question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bgough

Reaction score
So, I'm going to build my water up from distilled for a hefe I'm doing because my water is highly alakline.

I used the "Brewer's Friend" water calculator in the sticky at the top of this section, but I have a question.

From my understanding of Palmer's spreadseets, I want a beer low in residual alkalinity for my pale beers.

So, am I ok to add nothing but gypsum and calcium chloride?

Or, do I need to add some epsome salt for magnesium or any of the other salts?

You should use Epsom salt to get 10-30ppm of magnesium. You can do without the sodium, so there is no need for baking soda or sodium chloride. If you are doing all grain, I would also recommend yeast nutrient. The yeast depend on certain minerals in trace quantities that comes from our tap water. Since you're building from distilled, it will lack those minerals. If you're brewing with extract, you will get those minerals from the extract.

Let us know how it goes.

You want 0-50 ppm alkalinity for pale beers according to Palmer. Base/pale malts won't affect the pH too much. I'd pay attention to your chloride/sulfate ratio as well since its a hefe you want the ratio to favor the chloride. Like jescholler said, you don't have to worry about the sodium but to boost the chlorides you use baking soda or sodium chloride and you get the sodium by default. It's more about the ratio than the ppm you have when dealing with chloride/sulfate.

From what I understand about yeast and minerals it is very important to have 50 - 150 ppm of calcium. This affects yeast health and flocculation and so you want to have the appropriate levels.

Magnesium for the yeast comes from the malt in the mash. You don't have to worry too much about magnesium levels.

I'm by no means an expert in water adjusting and as a matter of fact I just started to learn about water modification myself. I was forced into it as my local water source fluctuates drastically.

Back