So how many of you are im a alcoholics? - Page 14 - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Drunken Ramblings and Mindless Mumbling > So how many of you are im a alcoholics?

Old 12-11-2009, 07:24 AM   #131
shek
Recipes 

Apr 2009
Long Beach, CA
Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts

I've entertained some concerns from friends and family years ago. I had to go to AA after a DUI almost a decade ago. Observing those meetings made me realize I am NOT an alcoholic. I do think it's ironic that there are many people who are so paranoid about alcohol (sometimes justly so because of their past) that the only way to prove to them you aren't an alcoholic is to never have another drink for the rest of your life. My MIL is like this, and it doesn't help that my BIL spent six mo's in jail for breaking a guys face while drunk.

Old 12-11-2009, 07:56 AM   #132
Bdogg
Recipes 

Nov 2009
Edmonton, AB
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Why would an alcoholic spend months poring over teeny little batches of beer with all kinds of temperature controls and hop timing and conditioning and sanitation when you could just fill a clean garbage can with water, dump in 20 pounds of tang juice crystals and a few packets of wine yeast, and get wasted for 2 months for like $12. Brewing beer at home isn't about getting drunk, it's about... brewing beer at home. We've all had a few blackout nights, that's part of life. If you're having them every week, you should get some help.
Alcoholism is compulsive and home brewing is mostly about patience... they just don't mix. Unless you are an immensely patient alcoholic.

Old 12-11-2009, 08:22 AM   #133
mordantly
Recipes 

May 2008
Westside..... CenCal - the country that'll never take away my guns or money !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bdogg View Post
Alcoholism is compulsive and home brewing is mostly about patience... they just don't mix. Unless you are an immensely patient alcoholic.
i have yet to be categorized as either!

Old 12-11-2009, 08:37 AM   #134
KYB
Recipes 

Jan 2009
Liked 45 Times on 29 Posts

IMO, you're only an alchy if you get drunk by yourself all the time. Not kinda buzzed, I mean drunk, and all the time. Also...

"By Kentucky law, anyone who has been drinking is “sober” until he or she ”cannot hold onto the ground.”

Old 12-11-2009, 10:44 AM   #135
mordantly
Recipes 

May 2008
Westside..... CenCal - the country that'll never take away my guns or money !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts

how do you hold on to the ground? even a hole you cant hold on to.

Old 12-11-2009, 12:42 PM   #136
JesseRC

Recipes 

Oct 2008
San Antonio
Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts

I believe that since I have started homebrewing, its all about taste now. When I get home I have a pint to wind down and the choice is aobut taste not ABV, then after dinner I have to think deeply if I want another pint or milk and cookies .

Primaries: Mojave Red (AG)
Kegs: Hibiscus Saison (AG), Orange Kolsch (AG) , Cocunut Porter
Future Brew: Wee Heavy