I know I'm resurrecting this thread.
I brewed this today... kinda. I mashed the same recipe, collected 6.5 gallons of first (5.5) and second (1) runnings, but then I collected 2.5 gallons more into a smaller kettle and boiled them simultaneously. After 90 mins and basically mirroring the full boil hops with some smaller additions in the smaller pot, I combined them and cooled them together. This is where I feel like I screwed up. Because the smaller boil was all 2nd running it was lower gravity, obviously, and then combining them I think threw my color off, but hopefully not the final taste.
I shouldn't have done it this way, I was pushing the limit of what I could do in a single batch. I should have just let it go at the big boil. I'm hoping it will still come out alright, even if it's off-style. I was frustrated that I got carried away, but I'm over that and just hoping it's a good beer in the end. I ended up with about 6.75 gallons in the fermenter, at 1.091, by the way.
And that's my story.