Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Open to All!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > What happened??
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 12-01-2009, 03:29 AM   #11
JuanMoore
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
JuanMoore's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: The Old Pueblo
Posts: 18,418
Liked 3359 Times on 3245 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Default

Nottingham produces a lot of fusel alcohol if it's fermented at slightly higher temps. I had the same issue with my first batch. A month of bottle conditioning will help, but the fusel alcohol taste won't ever go away completely.


JuanMoore is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 03:31 AM   #12
ChshreCat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
ChshreCat's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Camano Island, Washington
Posts: 11,576
Liked 531 Times on 425 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by azscoob View Post
you place the fermenter into a large bucket, pan or tub filled with water, and put frozen ice bottles into the water to keep the temp of the wort down near the ideal temps, you just change the water bottles out every day or so and replace with new frozen ones
+1 That's the trick. It's pretty easy. I keep my fermenter in a spare half-bath downstairs. It can get fairly warm during the day and cooler at night. So, the water bath is thermal mass to help even it out. Then, I add ice bottles in the morning as it starts to warm up. Maybe replace them in the afternoon and then leave it at night. Keeps the temp of the beer a pretty steady mid-60's.

At the worst of the summer heat, I'll have to change out bottles every 4-6 hours to keep the temps down and might even have to put some in at bedtime if the nighttime temps are dropping very low. It takes some monitoring, but it lets me brew year 'round in an apartment with no AC.


__________________
"Science + beer = good!"
-Adam Savage
ChshreCat is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 03:31 AM   #13
azscoob
Brewpub coming soon!
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
azscoob's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Lake in the Hills, IL
Posts: 7,519
Liked 228 Times on 181 Posts
Likes Given: 214

Default

you can also cover the fermenter with a t-shirt or towel to wick the cold water up into the cloth, then set up a fan blowing onto the fermenter, this will create a simple evaporative cooler that will further reduce fermenting temps if the waterbath and ice bottles arent quite enough.
__________________
Shirts n Steins: Grain Reaper Brewing
azscoob is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 03:33 AM   #14
ChshreCat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
ChshreCat's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Camano Island, Washington
Posts: 11,576
Liked 531 Times on 425 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by azscoob View Post
you can also cover the fermenter with a t-shirt or towel to wick the cold water up into the cloth, then set up a fan blowing onto the fermenter, this will create a simple evaporative cooler that will further reduce fermenting temps if the waterbath and ice bottles arent quite enough.
I haven't needed to go that far, but I live in the Northwest where 85 is a really hot summer day and if you get over 90 it's the big heat wave of the year.
__________________
"Science + beer = good!"
-Adam Savage
ChshreCat is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 04:24 AM   #15
FordFan
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: MD
Posts: 21
Default

Thanks for the explanation!
FordFan is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 04:30 AM   #16
goose_on_fire
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: San Diego
Posts: 90
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by azscoob View Post
you can also cover the fermenter with a t-shirt or towel to wick the cold water up into the cloth, then set up a fan blowing onto the fermenter, this will create a simple evaporative cooler that will further reduce fermenting temps if the waterbath and ice bottles arent quite enough.
This works amazingly well here during a Santa Ana when the humidity is like minus a million percent
goose_on_fire is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 05:49 AM   #17
Wildrebel
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Oxford, MS
Posts: 47
Default

Yea there were 5 total gallons in the fermenter.
Wildrebel is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 06:01 AM   #18
ChshreCat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
ChshreCat's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Camano Island, Washington
Posts: 11,576
Liked 531 Times on 425 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildrebel View Post
Yea there were 5 total gallons in the fermenter.
Then I'd say 99% odds that it was your temperatures. 1% possible infection. Get those temps down and controlled and you'll enjoy your beer MUCH more.


__________________
"Science + beer = good!"
-Adam Savage
ChshreCat is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Whatever happened to... ohiobrewtus General Chit Chat 16 07-16-2009 10:01 PM
Has this happened to anyone?? hopmadness General Beer Discussion 12 09-23-2008 03:04 AM
What Happened? fa1321tx All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 11 08-14-2007 07:06 PM
Hey, what happened to... perry All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 11 08-05-2007 06:24 AM


Forum Jump

Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS