Sweet Stout Silver Medal 2012 Chicago Cup - Singing Boys Cream Stout - Page 2 - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Homebrew Ale Recipes > Sweet Stout Silver Medal 2012 Chicago Cup - Singing Boys Cream Stout

Old 12-12-2010, 02:17 PM   #11
Cjtabares
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Dec 2010
Bristol, Rhode Island

I am thinking about brewing this, would it be a good all grain for my first all grain brew?

Old 12-12-2010, 06:33 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cjtabares View Post
I am thinking about brewing this, would it be a good all grain for my first all grain brew?
Sure! Stouts, especially sweet stouts, or porters are 'forgiving' beers, in that they are so flavorful that they cover up potential flaws. Its not a huge beer (in terms of grain bill, OG and abv) so its done relatively quickly.

You can use any number of yeasts with it, too. My latest batch of it used my 'house' strain - the yeast I tend to harvest and wash, which is WL's Edinburgh strain. But you could use Windsor from Danstar or Fermentis' US-04 if you'd rather use dry (which is easier to use and doesn't require a starter).

Old 03-22-2011, 04:41 PM   #13
TimeBaby
Recipes 

Mar 2011
Nashville, TN

Brewed this a little over a month ago, and it was (and still is) excellent. Very popular among my friends and those that had it. My mash techniques weren't perfect, so I ended up with a 3.7% ABV product (don't have my OG/FG notes on me).

I decided to skip the 2ndary and just bottled after letting it sit in primary for 2 weeks, and I couldn't keep my hands off trying one after only 10 days in the bottle, and it tasted marvelous. I think the only difference would be the amount of yeast sediment, but I don't really mind. I might try using Safale-04 or some liquid English strain next time just to see if it sediments better than the Windsor. I can't find anything wrong with this recipe in the slightest and I will definitely keep this one in my arsenal. Great recipe!

Old 03-22-2011, 05:41 PM   #14

Thanks, Time, I'm glad you liked it. Its the only stout I've been making recently. I've not tried 04 in it, but I think that would work fine. I've lately been using mostly WLP028 Edinburgh, which I use in many of my beers (I harvest and wash it).

Old 01-16-2014, 09:33 PM   #15

Should have added earlier that a batch of this won a silver medal in the small stout category at the 2012 Chicago Cup competition.

Old 02-21-2014, 02:33 PM   #16
troglodytes
Recipes 

Mar 2013
Boston, MA
Liked 22 Times on 17 Posts

This is my next brew. My wife loves sweet and milk stouts and I wanted something that didn't need to age. Plus I already had half the ingredients left over from other previous batches. Can't wait to see how this turns out.

One question though, is the 1.050 OG pre or post boil? With this grain bill I'm getting an OG calc of 1.062 post boil and I've locked in my brewhouse efficiency at at 67.5% which is low compared to yours in the OP.

Old 02-22-2014, 10:45 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by troglodytes View Post
This is my next brew. My wife loves sweet and milk stouts and I wanted something that didn't need to age. Plus I already had half the ingredients left over from other previous batches. Can't wait to see how this turns out.

One question though, is the 1.050 OG pre or post boil? With this grain bill I'm getting an OG calc of 1.062 post boil and I've locked in my brewhouse efficiency at at 67.5% which is low compared to yours in the OP.
Its post boil OG. I see that I entered it as a 5 gallon recipe, when I usually make 5.5 or 6 gallons, so that probably accounts for the difference. In any case, using your system and processes, I would suggest adjusting the recipe so that you end up at around 1.050 OG.

Old 08-07-2016, 11:02 AM   #18
treacheroustexan
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

May 2013
Strongsville, Ohio
Liked 405 Times on 278 Posts

Was looking for a good sweet stout recipe. Ended up here.

Mashing in now! Roasted barley smells incredible.
Fermenting: Pumpkin Ale
On Deck: ???

Pappers_ Likes This 
Old 08-07-2016, 12:33 PM   #19
treacheroustexan
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

May 2013
Strongsville, Ohio
Liked 405 Times on 278 Posts

Bringing to a boil! Split the batch in half (3 gallon). EDIT: chilling now. Hit 1.050 exactly!
File Type: jpg 1470573203939.jpg (47.7 KB, 38 views)
Fermenting: Pumpkin Ale

Pappers_ Likes This 
Old 08-09-2016, 03:50 PM   #20
TheSmithsEra

Recipes 

Jul 2012
, California
Liked 49 Times on 38 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pappers_ View Post
Had a glass tonight and thought I'd add a photo here

That picture is 100% Homebrew pron! I'm brewing this next. Any updates or tips??