Three Floyds Brewery

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Old Rasputin didn't do much for me. I mean it's a good beer, but not good enough for me to want to buy it often. I guess DL just had so many different good flavors to it. More complex than most. I guess that's why I like it so much. I haven't had Rogue's. I don't want to pay $16, because I doubt it would be worth it.

Calling Dark Lord overrated has nothing to do with its rarity. It has to do with its hype in relation to the quality of the product. It might be a good beer for some, but I found it to be less than impressive, and I'm not the only person who thinks so. I don't put down beer because it is popular or because everyone loves it. I called it overrated because that's what I think of it. Selling tickets to get in line for a bottle of beer you then have to pay for makes this one of the most hyped releases in the country. It is nowhere near as good as the hype or most of the reviews. That's pretty much what overrated means, isn't it?

Also, this is a thread about Three Floyds. It is pretty much pertinent to the conversation. Randomly calling out Westy 12 in a quad conversation is not a very good comparison to talking about a beer from a brewery in a thread about that brewery. I'm not being a dick here, I just have a varying opinion, and if nobody had one of those, we'd all be carbon copies and boring.

Sorry it doesn't follow your line of thought, but my opinion, and those who disagree with you are just as valid to share what they think. You say "amazing", I say "middling at best". Opinions. Rad.

Actually, I think rarity plays in directly to the rating of the beer. Rarity increases the hype, which leads to something potentially being overrated. And also the fewer dissenting opinions like your own allow this to over-hype a product.

I was in a crappy mood yesterday so this irritated me more than it probably should have. And while yes this is a 3F thread, the OP started it to share his good experience at the brewery. It took all of two more posts before someone (you) came in pissing on DL, which seemed to me completely out place. And as I mentioned before I have seen people do this a bunch of other times as well. I'm glad you have your opinion, but posts like those seem (to me at least), to be raining on the parade of the people that like the brewery or beer. Not just innocently reviewing a beer.

I could be completely off the mark in this case, but that was the impression that I have gotten in the past, which prompted me to comment on it. It is THE ONLY beer I've seen that people go out of their way to put down, which may be because of the otherwise glowing reviews, or not. Whatever the reason, someone is always waiting to step out and say they don't like it and it's overhyped. Even if they weren't asked. And especially if someone else says they like it first.

I think you're far too sensitive. I'm a fair critic to any beer, overhyped or not. I mean I'm the first to say I love the bottle of Utopias I bought, and that is a pretty damn hyped beer. I just think that we're all allowed to share our opinions, and when a brewery is more or less known for a flagship product, it is very relevant to the conversation.

I guess it depends on what you want. I thought there wasn't enough hop bitterness to balance (cloying) and wasn't enough roasted flavor. I prefer Yeti, Old Rasputin, and Rogue RIS.

We can certainly both agree that Dark Lord is bigger than almost every other stout. Beyond that it is going to be subjective.

This is a post I can appreciate. The poster gives specific reasons why he doesn't like Dark Lord, and gives examples of a few he prefers. Then he admits it's a personal matter. Res ipse loquitur.

I am violating one of my rules by inserting a post at this point anyhow, so I might as well just keep digging. (Draws deep breath) The latter portion of this thread has deteriorated into a kind of ****ing contest, without much point other than to pick at the other guy's opinions....and, by inference, that one poster is a much better judge of beer than another. Get a clue. You're not. Particularly at the level of beers as big and complex as the ones discussed herein, it's all just a matter of how your nose and 'buds are reacting compared to someone else.

Also, time for another sig, from a real philosophical heavy:

"Opinions are like ***holes, everybody's got one."

- Dirty Harry, Magnum Force

You are right Rico. I just wanted to make my comment about the trend I noticed, so I did.

Carnevoodoo, it was not motivated by you alone as I said. No hard feelings I hope. I'm sure you are a fair reviewer.

This is a post I can appreciate. The poster gives specific reasons why he doesn't like Dark Lord, and gives examples of a few he prefers. Then he admits it's a personal matter. Res ipse loquitur.

I am violating one of my rules by inserting a post at this point anyhow, so I might as well just keep digging. (Draws deep breath) The latter portion of this thread has deteriorated into a kind of ****ing contest, without much point other than to pick at the other guy's opinions....and, by inference, that one poster is a much better judge of beer than another. Get a clue. You're not. Particularly at the level of beers as big and complex as the ones discussed herein, it's all just a matter of how your nose and 'buds are reacting compared to someone else.

Also, time for another sig, from a real philosophical heavy:

"Opinions are like ***holes, everybody's got one."

- Dirty Harry, Magnum Force

So my initial post where I gave specific tastes that came across to me in a sentence that started with the words, "I thought" were clearly your kind of post. My opinion, followed by what I didn't like. Of course it is opinion. I wasn't trying to sway anyone away from anything, I wasn't trying to bring people down. I was furthering a conversation about a brewery. I even said I liked their other offerings, and then I got attacked by people who didn't like my OPINION. I'm not saying I know everything. That's just retarded. I was simply stating my views on the brewery that was being talked about.

Latest posts

Back