My God Weddings Are A Pain!!! - Page 2 - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Drunken Ramblings and Mindless Mumbling > My God Weddings Are A Pain!!!

Old 11-30-2009, 11:49 PM   #11
firerat
F-You I'm Drunk
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Oct 2009
Ft. Lauderdale, FL
Liked 351 Times on 217 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard-SSV View Post
1) I wanted good music, so I handled booking the DJ.
Hear that. Originally the inlaws wanted a cheesy wedding singer. Lame. So I took care of the DJ.

Quote:
2) I wanted free beer and wine for our guests, so I handled that as well.
This, along with the DJ, were my priorities. I have a lot of thirsty relatives. lol

Quote:
3) I handled the groomsmen gift and tuxes since they were for my friends.
She picked the tuxes but gifts were all me.

Quote:
4) My younger brother is a minister, so I handled booking him to do our wedding.
We decided to not do a religious wedding because she is Jewish and I'm an agnostic. So we got her brother, who is a lawyer to take care of that.

Quote:
5) I booked the honeymoon. Had I not I'm sure we'd still be paying it off 7 years later. Cancun may not be Hawaii, but it's about a tenth of the price.
Sandals Jamaica have some damn fine deals man.

Quote:
6) I took part in registering for gifts. Had I not we would have ended up with a crap load of crystal and china sitting in our closet.
This is something I should have taken part in. I did throw a few things in there but for the most it was all her. But you gotta love Bed Bath and Beyonds return policy!! Hehe

Old 11-30-2009, 11:57 PM   #12
HoppyDaze
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Dec 2008
Wilsonville, OR
Liked 2319 Times on 1616 Posts

yeah...miserable. I took my wife to an island in the carribean and it was awesome!

*Member: The HBT Sweaty Fat Guys Cigar club

Advice for posting

Old 12-01-2009, 02:14 AM   #13
ISLAGI
1 beer short of a sixer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Nov 2008
Frogtown, OH
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

SWMBO was nice enough to invite me to her wedding....

(she still gets pissed every time I remind her that she said that...hehe)

Old 12-01-2009, 01:07 PM   #14
Homercidal
Licensed Sensual Massage Therapist.
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Feb 2008
Reed City, MI
Liked 4765 Times on 3217 Posts

I basically let my wife and her mom and her several Aunts take care of most all of it. I picked Tux and showed up and that was that. We went inexpensive due to not having much money, but she had more than a few relatives willing to cook and help.

Old 12-02-2009, 12:19 PM   #15
Skins_Brew

Recipes 

Dec 2007
Silver Spring, MD.
Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Which sandals are you going to? Unless you like red stripe, dont get too excited about the beer in Jamaica! We went to Riu Ochos Rio which was right next to and shared buildings with Sandals Ochos Rio.

And after you get on that plane you might be thinking you are finally done with all the wedding stuff....

BUT WAIT, THERE'S MORE! (Imagine that billy mays style)

There are thank you cards and setting up your album. Your wife will no doubtingly ask for your help with the cards and your opinion on the album. The cards are a pain since you have no idea what to write to all these people you dont know. I pretty much wrote the same thing on the ones i wrote. Something to the effect of "Thank you for coming and celebrating our wedding with us. We had a great time and hope you did too." Its a pain. I got married in Nov 08 and we just got around to the cards. The photo album is a pain because she will be asking which pictures you want in the album. I really didn't mind and when she asked I would give her an honest opinion, and of course she did not like whatever picture I suggested for whatever reason. I am glad its done with. Now there is a baby on the way in 9 months and thankfully all we will have to do it more thank you cards for that.

I Support My LHBS!! (Maryland HB)

Old 12-02-2009, 12:53 PM   #16

Hi Fire (and everyone else) -

I appreciate the humor in this thread, but am going to be serious for a moment. Please feel free to look away, get a cup of coffee, whatever you need to do if you're not interested . . .

I'll be married 25 years this coming summer and I tell guys I know who are getting married now that its good to be involved in the wedding, as long as the wedding becomes a meaningful ritual for you. In other words, if its a typical "party with a theme" then yeah, who cares. But if its a ritual that marks the beginning of your partnership together - don't just leave it to the woman. This isn't woman's work - dig into and get something good going.

Focus on what will make this meaningful to you - how do you want to mark this serious, life changing, all consuming milestone? By focusing on the DJ? Or the flowers? No - take it seriously, figure out what will make this meaningful for you, roll up your sleeves and get it done.

And congratulations!

Old 12-02-2009, 12:59 PM   #17
ruggierm1
Recipes 

Apr 2009
Delaware County, PA
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

"When I proposed to my wife I told her the following..... I said that I am just as happy to be married by an Elvis impersonator in Vegas ..."

I did get married by an Elvis impersonater in Vegas. And it wasn't the young Elvis.

Secondary:
- Strawberry
- Pineapple
- Blackberry

Bottled:
- IPA
- Hop Head Double IPA
- Honey Nut Brown Ale
- Cream Stout
- Black Dog Ale
- Irish Red

Old 12-02-2009, 01:07 PM   #18
The Pol
Recipes 

Feb 2007
Liked 96 Times on 81 Posts

My wife and I were married and honeymooned at Sandals for this very reason.

They took care of EVERYTHING, it was just her and I (no pesky relatives to ruin our day) and it was all under $4,000 for a full week.

It was the best week of our lives... $4,000. We could have spent $30,000 and had a miserable time with family, that just seemed silly.

Old 12-02-2009, 01:10 PM   #19
firerat
F-You I'm Drunk
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Oct 2009
Ft. Lauderdale, FL
Liked 351 Times on 217 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skins_Brew View Post
Which sandals are you going to? Unless you like red stripe, dont get too excited about the beer in Jamaica! We went to Riu Ochos Rio which was right next to and shared buildings with Sandals Ochos Rio.
Yeah it's Och Rios. I've actually been there before so I know kind of what to expect. I'll be drinking mostly fruity island drinks with the ocaisional Red Stripe.

At keast it's not Bud-Light.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skins_Brew View Post
And after you get on that plane you might be thinking you are finally done with all the wedding stuff....

BUT WAIT, THERE'S MORE! (Imagine that billy mays style)
Thank yous and album opinions at this point will be releif. LOL

I appreciate the comments in this thread everyone. I didn't think I'd get this many responses.

Old 12-02-2009, 01:12 PM   #20
Laughing_Gnome_Invisible
Recipes 

Jan 2008
Liked 697 Times on 513 Posts

My wife and I put on some non-scruffy clothes and stood in front of the mayor for ten minutes. Being forced to marry within a short time scale by the gubermint kinda sucks any romance out of the occasion.