Ss Brewtech’s Biggest Baddest Holiday Giveaway Ever!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Books or info about brewing
Old 11-30-2009, 08:21 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Books or info about brewing

Hi all, Iv'e been brewing for right around a year now, and now my final essay for one of my college courses required us to pick a topic and write about it. So, of course I chose brewing beer, and wrote a nice 10 page paper all about it. Got it back, got a perfect grade, but now we are required to write another 10 page essay on a problem that has to do with the first essay. So, the instructor suggested I write about the problem of the 2 big brewing companies here in America taking over all the small breweries and making it pretty much a monopoly business. Is there any good books or documentries I can research more about this and find numbers and statistics? (already watched Beer Wars)

Old 11-30-2009, 08:26 PM   #2
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
Liked 2912 Times on 1715 Posts
Likes Given: 3534

Maureen Ogle's book Ambitious Brew is the best and most historically accurate of American Beer History books out there;

Listen to this from Basic Brewing;

November 30, 2006 - Ambitious Brew Part One
We learn about the history of beer in the USA from Maureen Ogle, author of "Ambitious Brew - The Story of American Beer." Part one takes us from the Pilgrims to Prohibition.

December 7, 2006 - Ambitious Brew Part Two
We continue our discussion about the history of beer in the USA with Maureen Ogle, author of "Ambitious Brew - The Story of American Beer." Part two takes us from Prohibition to the present day.
Her blog archive has a lot of material covering the imbev takeover or Anheiseur Bush as well as stuff that didin't make it into here original book, so I encourage you to dig through that as well.
Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew
Old 11-30-2009, 08:33 PM   #3
Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I'm thinking that a paper on beer laws might be easier. There are a lot of laws that make it difficult for small breweries to get their beer to the consumer, or for people to open breweries and brew pubs.

sorry I dont have any recommendations on the topic you are looking for.
damn I gotta brew something