After many weeks of research and reading, Next weekend I plan on brewing a batch of pale ale. I received all my equipment yesterday and put everything through the works so I would feel good about using it. As I went through all my tests have haver a couple questions.
- I am using a 8 gallon mega pot as a brew kettle, and I am using a electric stove top to heat the water. (Live in a apartment complex with wood patio so propane burner is a no go until I move out)
- Using Iglo coolers for water tank and Mash Tun
- I am set up to use kegs
- Immersion chiller
- 6 and 5 gallon carboys
- All the other good stuff needed
1. I noticed it takes some time to get 5 gallons of water to boil (40-60 mins) This won't be a problem for mashing but what about when I am boiling the wort? I assume I heat my water until I get a boil and that is when I add my 1st hope addition and start the 60 min of boil time. Is this correct or is this overcooking the wort?
2. I just got my CO2 tank filled, and I noticed it has a small plastic/nylon washer, what is this for? I have been around CO2 takes along time and have never seen anything like this.
4. Fermentation - how long is to long to sit in a fermenter? I don't want to rush the beer but I don't want to have something happen to it while it sits. I was going to do 4 to 6 weeks just in a primary. Unless you all convince me to do a secondary and split up the fermentation process.
3. I am jumping in with All grain brewing so I know it will take time and patience to overcoming the learning curve. Is there any advice that will get me on the right foot?
Thanks in advance and I look forward to learning more from everyone.