Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > my beer never gets crystal clear

Old 11-29-2009, 01:54 PM   #11
Brew-boy
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 9

I think two things will really help you that you are not doing. A full boil is a big improvement. An immersion chiller will help you cool faster. I can go from 210 to 62 in about 15mins with the whirlpool chiller. No need for secondary I make crystal clear beer not using one. Time it take me about a month in the keg under cold conditions to have clear beer. I know you said you cannot to full boils or immersion chiller but it is what a larger group of us brewers do.

Aging: Imperial Oatmeal Stout on Vanilla beans.

I rather owe you a dollar than cheat you out of it.."Dad"

http://lapeerareabrewers.com/

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LapeerAreaBrewers/

Old 11-29-2009, 08:51 PM   #12
Bob
Recipes 

Liked 132 Times on 99 Posts
Likes Given: 36

An immersion chiller - or any technology that will chill the bitter wort more quickly - will be a definite help. I guarantee it.

A more flocculant yeast will also help. Strains like 1056 aren't very flocculant, as compared to 1968 and 1187.

Keep using kettle finings to promote break formation.

Try secondary finings, too. Isinglass works, but only works a couple of times before it's exhausted - and if the temperature rises over 70F it's denatured. Gelatin works just as well, is less fiddly to deal with, and is less expensive than Isinglass.

Chill haze is a separate issue that no fining agent will ever solve completely. There's a simple way to tell if it's chill haze: Pour a bottle of room-temperature beer into a Pilsner glass. Pour a well-chilled (48 hours in the fridge) bottle of the same beer into another glass. Compare side-by-side. If the beer in the warm glass is clear and the chilled beer hazy, chances are it's chill haze. That requires a different set of solutions that are more process-oriented than additive-oriented.

Good luck!

Bob

Old 11-29-2009, 09:10 PM   #13
jescholler
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Just an observation from me about full boils. I had two different recipes, but they used the same yeast (Wyeast 1968). I was very excited to get an extremely clear beer, but the first one didn't turn out that way. However, the second one did. One of the differences between the two was a full boil. It could have been something else, but my thought is that it was the partial boil.

Primary: Not until fall :(
Bottle: English Barleywine
On Deck: Session APA, Vanilla Oatmeal Stout

Old 11-30-2009, 12:46 AM   #14
JKoravos
Recipes 

Liked 53 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Use whirlfloc in the boil, try to leave as much trub as possible in the kettle and gelatin in the secondary. That should give you extremely clear beer unless you have an unconventional haze problem.

To answer the OPs question...Yes, virtually all commercial brewers use finings and many filter as well.

Old 11-30-2009, 01:05 AM   #15
hercher
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 47 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 6

All of the above suggestions are good. I use both Irish Moss and gelatin. Also, some extra time will help. I strikes me that most of the cloudiness you are describing sounds like chill haze. If you use gelatin -- chill your beer first, then add the gelatin. You cannot clear chill haze without creating it first.

Another trick is to chill your fermented beer as fast as possible. The quicker the haze is created, the quicker it will drop out. See Dave Miller's book on homebrewing for a clear understanding.

Lastly, you can purchase filters for homebrew or wine that can render your beer quite clear.

Primary: American Pale Ale, Coffee Porter(
Seconary: Don't use one, generally
Kegged: Saison
Planned: Either a brown ale or a Scottish Strong Ale

"For a quart of ale is a dish for a king." - Shakespeare

Reason: Edited to clarify (pun intended) that I meant beer, not wort, should be chilled as quickly as possible.

Old 11-30-2009, 01:29 AM   #16
JuanMoore
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3329 Times on 3221 Posts
Likes Given: 20

If you guys lived in Az like the OP you wouldn't be reccomending an immersion chiller to cool the wort quickly. Immersion chillers work on the principal that the "cold" tap water running through them is significantly colder than the wort, which is not always the case here. If you're trying to get the wort down to 75F, pumping 90-95F water through it isn't much help.

Old 11-30-2009, 01:38 AM   #17
GOOCHY
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuanMoore View Post
If you guys lived in Az like the OP you wouldn't be reccomending an immersion chiller to cool the wort quickly. Immersion chillers work on the principal that the "cold" tap water running through them is significantly colder than the wort, which is not always the case here. If you're trying to get the wort down to 75F, pumping 90-95F water through it isn't much help.
Buy a submersible pump and recirculate ice water from a reservoir through the chiller. Problem solved.

Old 11-30-2009, 01:41 AM   #18
Munsoned
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Agree 100% with the other suggestions. One other that I don't think has been mentioned: if you are extract brewing, try a different extract brand if possible for your next batch and see if that helps. It could be that the extract company isn't fully converting the sugars and you're getting a starch or protein issue.

Old 11-30-2009, 05:43 AM   #19
mr_clean
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I use gelatin finnings and i still get chill haze.After carbonation develops(2-3 weeks),throw them in the fridge for a week or 2.That clears em up.

Old 11-30-2009, 06:18 AM   #20
TheFlatline
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I brew AG, and consistently get beautifully clear beers. Here's what I do:

1. Full boil. I bought a turkey fryer, and it was a great investment.
2. Really good hot break. I boil the f*ck out of that wort, until I get a good hot break and it stops foaming up so much.
3. Long primary fermentation. Minimum 2 weeks. Sometimes 4. Usually 3-ish.
4. No secondary. Don't need it. Usually at this point it's crystal clear beer. I'll cold crash if I really need it.
5. Bottle, stick away, forget about it for a week or three.
6. Minimum 2-3 days in the fridge if I'm going for clarity. At a week it's crystal clear.