Prohibition era hydrometer - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Prohibition era hydrometer

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 11-28-2009, 07:14 PM   #1
Mike M
Recipes 
 
Jul 2007
, Delaware
Posts: 506
Liked 17 Times on 13 Posts



My wifes uncle recently gave me this hydrometer. It belonged to his father (her grandfather) who used it when he brewed beer during the prohibition.



Here is a closer look at the scale - labeled percent mash and brew tester 60F.



Now Im looking for window box type frame to safely display this treasure.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 07:26 PM   #3
Sherpa FE
The < 1% Club
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
Sherpa FE's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Oct 2007
Blairsville, Georgia
Posts: 815
Liked 17 Times on 13 Posts


awesome, deinately protect that bad boy
__________________
No matter how much money you THINK you are saving by brewing beer, you are still just pissing money away

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 01:34 AM   #4
Hoppus_Poppatopolis
Recipes 
 
May 2009
Lititz, PA
Posts: 366
Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts


That's pretty cool. Put it in distilled water and see if it's calibrated.
If so, use it. Grandpa would be thrilled!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 04:37 AM   #5
P-Lay
Recipes 
 
Mar 2009
Deltona, FL
Posts: 148

Very cool. Be careful with that thing. I'd hate to see that roll off the table and smash on the floor.
__________________
Cheers!
P

Quote:
Originally Posted by bad coffee View Post
Why kill when you can OVERKILL!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheManes View Post
Have you considered drinking more?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 09:04 AM   #6
TXCrash
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
 
TXCrash's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Sep 2005
DFW
Posts: 28,184
Liked 3303 Times on 3193 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoppus_Poppatopolis View Post
That's pretty cool. Put it in distilled water and see if it's calibrated.
If so, use it. Grandpa would be thrilled!
Till he dropped the hydrometer.

Haven't ya noticed the "broken hydrometer" threads?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by passedpawn View Post
You $&$&stik. You are my test. Part of it, anyway.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 04:49 PM   #7
Cpt_Kirks
Recipes 
 
Sep 2008
Lakeland TN
Posts: 3,723
Liked 47 Times on 41 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike M View Post
My wifes uncle recently gave me this hydrometer. It belonged to his father (her grandfather) who used it when he brewed beer during the prohibition.



Here is a closer look at the scale - labeled percent mash and brew tester 60F.



Now Im looking for window box type frame to safely display this treasure.

Cool.

Score some old bottle caps or labels and make a display in your shadow box.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 04:53 PM   #8
arturo7
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
 
arturo7's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Apr 2007
Huntington Beach
Posts: 9,712
Liked 492 Times on 338 Posts


Ya gotta do at least one batch with it before you enshrine it.
__________________
Hey, knock that shvt off. We're drinkin' here.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 06:03 PM   #9
Mike M
Recipes 
 
Jul 2007
, Delaware
Posts: 506
Liked 17 Times on 13 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by arturo7 View Post
Ya gotta do at least one batch with it before you enshrine it.
I plan on doing just that, once I overcome the pucker factor.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 12:00 AM   #10
Hoppus_Poppatopolis
Recipes 
 
May 2009
Lititz, PA
Posts: 366
Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by curtis97322 View Post
Till he dropped the hydrometer.

Haven't ya noticed the "broken hydrometer" threads?
Yep. I posted in it

Still, Grandpa didn't break it so I say go for it. Of course, it's not mine.

 
Reply With Quote


Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Prohibition 3.2% beer Big10Seaner General Beer Discussion 3 04-07-2008 08:11 PM
Prohibition Returns! Evan! General Chit Chat 182 11-03-2007 01:02 PM
Prohibition abracadabra General Chit Chat 41 03-05-2007 10:11 PM
Prohibition Beer davidkrau Recipes/Ingredients 7 04-10-2006 08:13 PM
Pre-prohibition lagers djmd General Beer Discussion 2 12-22-2005 06:33 PM


Forum Jump