Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Open to All!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Apricot Ale... suggestions?

Old 10-13-2006, 02:15 PM   #1
jmalex
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Apricot Ale... suggestions?

Hello All.
I've been lurking here for awhile and have found these forums to be incredible resources for making my first 2 batches, both kits from my LHBS (a Belgian Wit and a Nut Brown). For my third batch, I'd like to try and develop a recipe myself, and I've decided on an apricot ale. This will be an extract/grains recipe. Ideally I'd like something along the lines of a Magic Hat #9, but with a more pronounced apricot flavor. At the same time though, I don't want something as fruity as an apricot wheat (e.g. Pyramid). Here's what I've come up with, and it seems (at least to me) to reach that middle ground between the two. I know apricot beers are pretty popular here, and I've looked through a lot of the old threads when coming up with this recipe. I'd really like to hear comments/suggestions from everyone. Thanks!

Malts:
6.6 Lb Light LME
.5 Lb Wheat DME
.75 Lb Crystal 20L

Hops:
1.5 oz Tettnang (60 min)
1 oz Hallertau (15 min)

Yeast:
Wyeast 1056 American Ale

Extras:
1 tsp Irish Moss (15 min)
3 oz Apricot Extract (bottling)

Old 10-13-2006, 02:36 PM   #2
Chairman Cheyco
***DRAMATIZATION***
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

That looks pretty good, looke like it's pretty close to the magic hat #9 clone. http://www.homebrewtalk.com/showpost...1&postcount=20

Good luck, welcome to the board and THANK YOU FOR SEARCHING FIRST!!!

Old 10-13-2006, 03:21 PM   #3
Evan!

Recipes 

Liked 76 Times on 65 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I like it...not completely sure about how much extract to add, though. After turning my porter into "Ben-Gay Ale" with a mere 30mL of spruce essence, I'm very wary of adding too much extract of anything. I'm sure it'll mellow out in time, but still...be careful.

Question: have you had Dogfish Head's ApriHop? A damn fine beer, it is. The apricot notes are a little more subdued that what you're looking for, but that can be doctored. Along those lines, I'd suggest going in that direction, which means a couple things: perhaps using a little more crystal to enhance the orangish color, perhaps add some more DME to increase your OG, and more importantly, increasing your IBU figures. Using what you got there, you'll end up with roughly 34.8 IBU, which is good, but I'd go a little higher. It's a personal taste thing, but I almost always find that I underhop my beers (except for my 250+ IBU barleywine...hehehe). Try adding an extra half-ounce of Cascade for 60 minutes. It'll bring your IBU up to about 48. You could go higher if you want... You could even go so far as to replace more of the Tett with Cascade, or even some of the Hallertau too---the citrusy Cascade aromas should marry quite well with the tropical apricot flavors. Good luck!

.planned:
•Scottish 80/- •Sweet Stout •Roggenbier
.primary | bright:
98: Moss Hollow Soured '09 72: Oude Kriek 99: B-Weisse 102: Brett'd BDSA 104: Feat of Strength Helles Bock 105: Merkin Brown
.on tap | kegged:
XX: Moss Hollow Springs Sparkling Water 95: Gott Mit Uns German Pils 91b: Brown Willie's Oaked Abbey Ale 103: Merkin Stout
98: Yorkshire Special 100: Maple Porter 89: Cidre Saison 101: Steffiweizen '09 (#3)

Old 10-13-2006, 06:04 PM   #4
jmalex
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Thanks for the reply. I have not had Aprihop but I'm really not a hop head (yet?). I appreciate the suggestions, but I think I like where the IBU figure is in the 30s. I will explore your malt suggestions though. I thought the OG was a bit on the high side as it was, but I'll have to rerun the numbers. I may have not used my most recent amounts.
As for the amount of apricot extract, the recipes I've seen have used as little as 1.5 oz (#9 clones) and as much as 5 oz (an apricot wheat). I took somewhat of an average figure to come up with my 3 oz.

Old 10-13-2006, 06:35 PM   #5
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 451 Times on 367 Posts
Likes Given: 109

Yeah, I wouldn't bring the hops up that much, they'll overpower the apricot very easily. #9's a smooth-drinking brew, if you're looking for something in that vein I think you're very much on the right track.

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

Jazz hands!