Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Bringing homebrew on the plane

Old 11-27-2009, 04:10 PM   #1
GregoryShmegory
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Bringing homebrew on the plane

I am planning on bringing some of my brews across the country when I visit my family in California. Has anyone ever done this? Obviously I can't carry the beer on with me, but has anyone ever checked homebrew with your luggage? Would the change of pressure during the flight cause explosions? I'm flying with Delta, if that matters. Thanks

Old 11-27-2009, 04:36 PM   #2
Saccharomyces
Be good to your yeast...
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 99 Times on 57 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregoryShmegory View Post
I am planning on bringing some of my brews across the country when I visit my family in California. Has anyone ever done this? Obviously I can't carry the beer on with me, but has anyone ever checked homebrew with your luggage? Would the change of pressure during the flight cause explosions? I'm flying with Delta, if that matters. Thanks
I use plastic bottles for this so I don't have to worry about them breaking, but glass works too, just be sure to wrap each bottle up with bubble wrap and then wrap your shirts around them. A plastic bag is probably a good idea too in case one of them happened to leak.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soperbrew
big brother only monitors facebook and untappd

Old 11-27-2009, 04:38 PM   #3
jkarp
Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I've brought back loads of bottles internationally. Just put each bottle in a baggie and use your clothes for padding.

Old 11-27-2009, 04:40 PM   #4
PseudoChef

Recipes 

Liked 108 Times on 79 Posts
Likes Given: 39

I have been doing this successfully for a while now with coming up to Chi-town once or twice every month. I pack an extra duffel bag in my main bag so as to not go over the 50 lb limit. I don't even bubble wrap, just wrap each bottle up in a piece of clothing and pack them all parallel to each other ensuring no movement of the bottles when you close your suitcase and shake it around. Knock on wood, but haven't had a fallen soldier yet. Got 20 back to Nashville on my last trip.

Old 11-27-2009, 05:04 PM   #5
IrregularPulse
Hobby Collector
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3028 Times on 2934 Posts
Likes Given: 149

I used to bring bottles and growlers home with me all the time while traveling for work. Nearly every week for a year I'd being bottles back. I always just wrapped them in my clothes, Never lost anything.

I should have stuck to four fingers in Vegas. :o - marubozo's mom

Old 11-27-2009, 08:03 PM   #6
bonzombiekitty
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

I've brought bottles of beer internationally without trouble. I just wrapped 12oz bottles in bubble wrap or something to cushion them, then put them in large freezer bags (can get about three bottles in each bag) in case they burst. I then put them in the middle of my bag so the surrounding clothes act as an additional cushion. Didn't have any issues.

Old 11-27-2009, 08:07 PM   #7
yuppiecruncher
Recipes 

I was wondering about this myself. Thanks for posting. Does anyone know if shipping homebrew is a similar process? Just wrap and pray? or is there a trick anyone has learned to successful shipping.
Primary #2 - Empty
Bottled - Hefeweizen 1.1

Old 11-27-2009, 08:16 PM   #8
eriktlupus

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts

i brought a whole rack back with me from germany in the early 90's stuffed in the bottom of a GI duffel bag.

shipping is similar but you can't use USPS since its illegal to ship alcohol with them, the companies just frown on it. wrap and stuff each into a baggie in case of breakage, pad each from the other and from the sides and bottoms.
DRINKIN DAWG BREWERY
LET'S GO RED WINGS

join michigan mashers here

extraction calculator
grains in pounds(G) X 36(average points per gallon of grains) / batch size in gallons(g) = maximum efficiency(ME)
OG / ME = brewhouse efficiency

Old 11-27-2009, 09:05 PM   #9
mordantly
Recipes 

Location: Westside..... CenCal - the country that'll never take away my guns or money !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Sky Harbor Intl in Phoenix wouldnt let me bring any liguids not in plastic vessel and over 4oz. that was July '08. maybe 7-fo-7s are more lax about stuff that gets checked?

Old 11-27-2009, 09:45 PM   #10
springer

Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 21 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mordantly View Post
Sky Harbor Intl in Phoenix wouldnt let me bring any liguids not in plastic vessel and over 4oz. that was July '08. maybe 7-fo-7s are more lax about stuff that gets checked?
I don't think they do that anymore. It was just for carry on items anyway they never stopped you from having liquids in your checked baggage