Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Commercial Brew Discussion > What beer did you really want to HATE, but it surprised the heck out of you?

Old 11-28-2009, 03:06 AM   #11
scopey
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Bud Light Lime.

'nuff said

Old 11-28-2009, 03:15 AM   #12
craigd
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Bud American ale and Michelob RyePA. Actually several of the Michelob Brewmaster series have pleasantly surprised me.

Old 11-28-2009, 03:18 AM   #13
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2889 Times on 1702 Posts
Likes Given: 3520

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigd View Post
Bud American ale and Michelob RyePA. Actually several of the Michelob Brewmaster series have pleasantly surprised me.
I didn't know they did a rye...I'll have to check it out.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 11-28-2009, 04:41 AM   #14
Doog_Si_Reeb
Beer is Good. And stuff!
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 19

PBR... For years I avoided it thinking it was more bad cheap macro swill. I was visiting friends who lived the ski bum life in Crested Butte and they lived on the stuff. I drank a bunch of PBR with them and was surprised that it actually tasted pretty damn good. Since then, it's been my go-to cheap beer. I had one a couple weeks ago and was pleasantly surprised that I could detect hops in addition to a pleasant bitterness.

Primary: BohPils3
Kegged: Vienna Lager, Mánagarmr Stout, Ratatoskr IIPA, Cider
Bottled: Yule Gruit

Old 11-30-2009, 01:52 PM   #15
Homercidal
Licensed Sensual Massage Therapist.
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 3646 Times on 2479 Posts
Likes Given: 2444

Bud American Ale for me too. I could easily order it if they have nothing better than Bud in-house. Other than sour beers, I'm pretty easy to please.
They're gonna send you back to mother in a cardboard box !

Old 11-30-2009, 02:02 PM   #16
ohiobrewtus

Recipes 

Liked 59 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I'd have to go with Bud American Ale too. It's not a great beer, but it's pretty good. I generally stay away from anything BMC, but had to give this one a shot.

I've picked up a couple of sixers since it came out and I'm still surprised. Granted, it's not a beer that I seek out and it's not on my list of great beers but it works well when options are limited.

Old 11-30-2009, 02:08 PM   #17
nealf
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doog_Si_Reeb View Post
PBR... For years I avoided it thinking it was more bad cheap macro swill. I was visiting friends who lived the ski bum life in Crested Butte and they lived on the stuff. I drank a bunch of PBR with them and was surprised that it actually tasted pretty damn good. Since then, it's been my go-to cheap beer. I had one a couple weeks ago and was pleasantly surprised that I could detect hops in addition to a pleasant bitterness.
I agree with this.

Old 11-30-2009, 02:16 PM   #18
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2889 Times on 1702 Posts
Likes Given: 3520

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homercidal View Post
Bud American Ale for me too. I could easily order it if they have nothing better than Bud in-house. Other than sour beers, I'm pretty easy to please.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiobrewtus View Post
I'd have to go with Bud American Ale too. It's not a great beer, but it's pretty good. I generally stay away from anything BMC, but had to give this one a shot.

I've picked up a couple of sixers since it came out and I'm still surprised. Granted, it's not a beer that I seek out and it's not on my list of great beers but it works well when options are limited.
I guess I'm not surprised that BAA is coming out on top. I think it must be because since it came from Bud and is the first macro ale to come out of AB in over 30 years (or maybe they never did?) So of course so many beer geeks and brewers would try it at least out of curiosity sake. And of course we all expected that it was going to be totally bad, and many of us, myself included do have a bit of a bias.

Anyone know how it is doing outside of the beergeek community? I mean has anyone seen any numbers in terms of the "general beer public" who normally drink bud products? Are they liking it, or will it end up being pulled off the market in a couple years?

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 11-30-2009, 06:01 PM   #19
craigd
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post

Anyone know how it is doing outside of the beergeek community? I mean has anyone seen any numbers in terms of the "general beer public" who normally drink bud products? Are they liking it, or will it end up being pulled off the market in a couple years?
I personally don't know anyone who normally drinks macros who buys this as more than an occasional curiosity or for when I'm coming over. It's nice of them to think of me but you may be right about the limited life of this beer if that's the general appeal. The Michelob beers seem to have lasted longer than I would have thought though so my anecdotal experience may be off.

Old 11-30-2009, 06:43 PM   #20
carnevoodoo
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I wouldn't say the beer geek community even buys this. I don't consider homebrewers to be beer geeks, though. None of my friends would buy BAA at all. I know if I walk into a store and it is between BAA and Aquafina, I'm buying the bottle of water. And come to think of it, I don't know any non geeks who really drink it either. It just isn't memorable.