Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Best commercial beer bottles for homebrew

Old 01-30-2011, 07:42 PM   #51
Rolly
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Samuel Smith. These bottles are workhorses. They are very thick and have a unique look if you create your own labels and slap them on. The glass is also relatively dark compared to most brands out there. They cap very nicely with one of the red emily cappers. In my experience Anchor bottles look cool, but do not cap very well unless you have a bench capper.

Old 09-08-2014, 07:58 PM   #52
TFL283
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I am new to homebrewing.. to the point i have yet to even bottle my first batch... its that time of year and my hard cider is just about finished. but i have been stock piling SAM ADAMS bottles. and my method thus far is let soak 30 min. remove label with a potatoe peeler that i use for only this. peeler takes 98% of all label and adhesive with it. kitchen scrubby pad takes the last 2% . i fit 3 cases in my dishwasher with soap as pre wash and 1/4 star san as primary wash. bottles came out looking brand new with no visual defects. i test bottled a six pack with soda to see how they held up and no problems. ill continue to use sam adams bottles till i run into any issue with them.

Old 01-17-2015, 01:59 PM   #53
Manny_E
Recipes 

Likes Given: 16

is there an easy way to determine if the bottle cap is tightly secured? i am using 2 type of bottles belgium style 22 and 12 oz. I noticed after capping the 22 oz bottles, the capper leaves a ring on the top of the cap but on the 12oz it does not.

my recent batch (OG 1.085), i opened one of the 12 oz bottles and it came out flat. BTW i used (1st time) fuzzy drops per instruction. I am wondering where the problem is...

any feedback / tips greatly appreciated...

Thanks

Visuals:
Click image for larger version

Name:	beer_cap.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	184.8 KB
ID:	249354  

Reason: adding pic

Old 01-18-2015, 04:08 PM   #54
Patrick87
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manny_E View Post
is there an easy way to determine if the bottle cap is tightly secured? i am using 2 type of bottles belgium style 22 and 12 oz. I noticed after capping the 22 oz bottles, the capper leaves a ring on the top of the cap but on the 12oz it does not.

my recent batch (OG 1.085), i opened one of the 12 oz bottles and it came out flat. BTW i used (1st time) fuzzy drops per instruction. I am wondering where the problem is...

any feedback / tips greatly appreciated...

Thanks

Visuals:
Pretty sure it's all about the neck of the bottle. Some bottles (such as Sam Adams, Sweetwater and most other traditional "long necks") have a long "bump" at the top of them, which is ideal for a wing capper.

Some bottles have a medium "bump" on them which seem to work okay for me. (Such as New Belgium's bottles)

I've stopped trying to use Lagunitas bottles. Sierra Nevada bottles aren't much better. If you have one handy, look at the neck on it. The part that the wing capper "grabs" is very short and doesn't let the bell push down very hard.

If you look at the bottles you're trying to cap, I'd be willing to bet that the bombers with the big dimple in them have a long "bump" at the top and the ones with without an indentation have a shorter "bump".

Here's a pic (not mine) to demonstrate:

The bottle on the right is the best kind of neck for a wing capper.

Old 01-18-2015, 11:43 PM   #55
Manny_E
Recipes 

Likes Given: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick87 View Post
Pretty sure it's all about the neck of the bottle. Some bottles (such as Sam Adams, Sweetwater and most other traditional "long necks") have a long "bump" at the top of them, which is ideal for a wing capper.

Some bottles have a medium "bump" on them which seem to work okay for me. (Such as New Belgium's bottles)

I've stopped trying to use Lagunitas bottles. Sierra Nevada bottles aren't much better. If you have one handy, look at the neck on it. The part that the wing capper "grabs" is very short and doesn't let the bell push down very hard.

If you look at the bottles you're trying to cap, I'd be willing to bet that the bombers with the big dimple in them have a long "bump" at the top and the ones with without an indentation have a shorter "bump".

Here's a pic (not mine) to demonstrate:

The bottle on the right is the best kind of neck for a wing capper.
you may be right.. I just hope my entire batch is not ruined.. i only have 2 bottles, for testing, onto this 12 oz bottles.. the rest is in 22 oz (long bump)... i am going to give it another week or so b/c high OG.. I am wondering if the Fizz drops are the issue. i always used corn sugar mix, this time i used FD b/c i had them...

see picture...
Click image for larger version

Name:	beer_neck.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	234.5 KB
ID:	249750  

Reason: add more info

Old 01-19-2015, 04:21 AM   #56
adamranders
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Though not widely available, I find New Glarus bottles to work great. They seem like they are a heavier (thicker) glass likely because they brew several sours and use the same bottles.

Old 01-19-2015, 04:45 AM   #57
TxBigHops
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 123

Surprised no one else has mentioned my favorite bottles - Green Flash. I love the unique shape, the glass seems to be nice and heavy, and the labels fall off within an hour or so in a hot water and oxyclean soak. And best of all, some of my favorite commercial brews come inside of these bottles!!!
Primary: empty
On Deck: a DIPA, NW Red Ale, German Hefe

Old 01-19-2015, 04:54 AM   #58
TennBrewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Spotted Cow is awesome! I never really looked at the neck on the bottles but thanks for the pix, now I'm going to check them before I bottle up. I recently acquired several Grolsch bottles with the ceramic caps, rubber gasket and wire cages (really good deal, too!) and I have just put up a batch of Brown Ale using 16 of these, if they don't work I won't lose the whole batch. Many people have used (and reused) them with great success. If it works for me, I'm going back for more, sure is easier than capping all those bottles. I initially washed, rather I soaked them in OxyClean overnight using the clothes washer. I could fill the washer and add my soap until it reaches its High water setting, then stop the machine and add the bottles. After an overnight soak, I removed the bottles and gave them a rinse using the jet bottle washer is given in the laundry sink nearby. Then I could drain the washer by closing the lid and turning the dial to the end of the cycle. After rinsing, I put the bottles in the dishwasher for heated scrub and heat dry. This seems to sanitize the bottles, I've done it with the previous batch and so far there is no sign of contamination. The wire cages with caps were removed from the Grolsch bottles because they hung below the dishwasher rack and interfered with the water sprayer underneath, besides, I don't think the rubber gaskets would hold up very well in the heat sanitizing. After allowing the bottles to cool, I would let the cages, caps, and gasket assemblies soak in Star San solution while I was filling the bottles. We'll see how this batch turns out in another week or two.

Old 04-17-2015, 03:02 PM   #59
Kysmert
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Boulevard anything. (Most people enjoy their Wheat, Tank 7, or 80-Acre) they have stubby 12 oz. bottles. Label comes off in water within about 2 minutes. They are stout, dark, sturdy and I've dropped tons and still no breaks, my favorite by far.

-K
FourSeasonAngler Likes This 
Old 04-17-2015, 03:05 PM   #60
Hello
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 29 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2802 Times on 1916 Posts
Likes Given: 4980

Although mentioned, Green Flash's bottles are a couple of grams heavier than ones from Sam Adams and such.