Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > eSMaSH

Old 11-25-2009, 02:43 PM   #1
bytemyfoot
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Aug 2009
South Jersey, NJ

I'm looking to make a series of eSMaSHes (extract SMaSHes) and I wanted to get some feedback on the recipe I've come up with. This one happens to be for Citra, but the others (Amarillo, Cascade, Centennial, Nelson Sauvin, Nugget, & Simcoe) are all the same ABV (5.77%) and roughly the same IBU (around 46-47 IBU).

1.78 lb Light Dry Extract @ 60 min
2 drops FermcapS @ 60 min
0.96 oz Citra Hops @ 60 min

0.96 oz Citra Hops @ 30 min

0.96 oz Citra Hops @ 15 min
5.32 lb Light Dry Extract @ 15 min
1 tsp Irish Moss @ 15 min

0.96 oz Citra Hops @ 5 min

US-05

Any suggestions/comments?

Old 11-26-2009, 01:17 AM   #2
bytemyfoot

Recipes 

Aug 2009
South Jersey, NJ

No one has any thoughts?

Old 11-26-2009, 01:19 AM   #3
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Dec 2007
"Detroitish" Michigan
Liked 3198 Times on 1886 Posts

Looks good. I'm glad someone's tackling extract smashes, I've been telling extract brewer's they can do it for the last couple years. Keep us posted.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 11-26-2009, 02:36 AM   #4
akchris
Recipes 

Oct 2009
Big Lake Alaska

I did something similar... but added the extract a 30 mins. Not sure why, just seemed right. 5 days in primary so far and hydro sample was fantastic
2 oz centenial hops, 7# light DME
1 oz 60 mins
.5 oz 30 mins/extract
.25oz 15 mins
.25oz flameout
nottingham yeast

Keep us posted on how yours turns out. I wanted to use more hops, but LHBS was charging $5 an oz. Time to make a bulk order.

Old 11-26-2009, 03:08 AM   #5
darknova306
Recipes 

Nov 2009
Rochester, NY

Never did an eSMaSH, but there's nothing wrong with it. As long as you use a light extract, you'll be basically using a single malt. There should really be no difference other than you're at the mercy of how fermentable the extract is, which isn't a big deal at all. Go for it and have some fun. I love SMaSHes regardless of brewing method. It's a great way to understand a hop or malt much better than you did before.

akchris: $5 per oz?!? Um, wow. And I thought $3.50 was bad (which was why I also went bulk).
Imperial IPA

Old 11-26-2009, 06:04 AM   #6
akchris
Recipes 

Oct 2009
Big Lake Alaska

Yeah I know...The only local shop is wine oriented, and they think that because they carry a small amount of beer supplies they can charge outrageous prices...well...they got my money. I wasn't about to drive to anchorage (1hr each way) for $3 per oz. hijack over, sorry bytemyfoot.

Old 11-26-2009, 06:13 AM   #7
northernlad
Recipes 

Aug 2009
NW
Liked 29 Times on 23 Posts

This interests me. I bought 9lbs of LME with the intent of making a Warrior/Citra/Cascade ale but now I think I might give a SMaSh some thought.