Well....I am officially a hop farmer - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Hops Growing > Well....I am officially a hop farmer

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 11-25-2009, 03:45 AM   #1
NTOLERANCE
Recipes 
 
Jan 2008
Made Milwaukee Famous
Posts: 435
Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts



Took the plunge this week, and agreed to rent land for a hop yard.

Almost 3 acres of land, certified organic.
I work for the land owner parttime repairing equipment for their landscape/nursery company. This keeps me there a bit anyway. I am able to use the company equipment:Skid Loaders, tractors, post hole diggers, tillers and the like. WE also have an organic composting system which will provide me with plenty of nutrients for my hops.

Here is an aerial pic of the land, I put a rectangle around the section I rented.



Hopefully by spring I will have a large number of used telephone poles dropped off for use in a trellis. I have a contact at the local power company.

Have to work out a few things yet.... I dont have water close by, so I will have to use a large water tank to water my hops. I also want to put up a cold frame to start the rhizomes in before planting in the ground.

I have a number of sources lined up for rhizomes, including the nursery where I work. I can buy from them at cost, but selection is limited.

Anyways, I will be posting pics as I go. I also plan on having a "Hop Yard Fall Party" at the end of each season.
__________________
They call him easy.....easy brewer.....

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 04:00 AM   #2
ChuckinWA
Recipes 
 
Sep 2009
Gig Harbor, WA
Posts: 46

Holy crap, talk about jumping in with both feet! I'm happy just to get 5 plants going for my second season...

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 04:28 AM   #3
Airborneguy
Adjunct of the Law
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
Airborneguy's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Sep 2009
Isle of Staten
Posts: 10,886
Liked 855 Times on 626 Posts


Wow... good luck man! That is a cool project!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 04:34 AM   #4
McKBrew
 
McKBrew's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Oct 2006
Hayden, Idaho
Posts: 8,204
Liked 35 Times on 30 Posts


Right on. The newest issue of BYO has an article about small scale hop farming. It takes a bit to get established but apparently they are successful.
__________________
Make Beer, Not War.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 04:47 AM   #5
Orangevango
 
Orangevango's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Mar 2008
Posts: 596
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts


You can not use the telephone poles if you want to be organic certified.

Creosote treated lumber is out, as is cromated copper arsenate treated (pressure treated) lumber.
__________________
Visit my Hop Farm on Facebook


 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 05:08 AM   #6
sudbuster
This ain't my first rodeo....
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
sudbuster's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jul 2007
Western Arkansas
Posts: 4,030
Liked 283 Times on 219 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by NTOLERANCE View Post
Took the plunge this week, and agreed to rent land for a hop yard.

Almost 3 acres of land, certified organic.
I work for the land owner parttime repairing equipment for their landscape/nursery company. This keeps me there a bit anyway. I am able to use the company equipment:Skid Loaders, tractors, post hole diggers, tillers and the like. WE also have an organic composting system which will provide me with plenty of nutrients for my hops.

Here is an aerial pic of the land, I put a rectangle around the section I rented.



Hopefully by spring I will have a large number of used telephone poles dropped off for use in a trellis. I have a contact at the local power company.

Have to work out a few things yet.... I dont have water close by, so I will have to use a large water tank to water my hops. I also want to put up a cold frame to start the rhizomes in before planting in the ground.

I have a number of sources lined up for rhizomes, including the nursery where I work. I can buy from them at cost, but selection is limited.

Anyways, I will be posting pics as I go. I also plan on having a "Hop Yard Fall Party" at the end of each season.
I wish you all the luck in the world, bro. keep the faith....

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 05:31 AM   #7
MBasile
Recipes 
 
Jun 2009
Austin, TX
Posts: 1,537
Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts


Those hops are going to be garbage! Send them all to me for disposal.
__________________
Up next: beer
Fermenting: beer
Conditioning: and more beer

Total gallons in 2012: 10

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 12:29 PM   #8
NTOLERANCE
Recipes 
 
Jan 2008
Made Milwaukee Famous
Posts: 435
Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangevango View Post
You can not use the telephone poles if you want to be organic certified.

Creosote treated lumber is out, as is cromated copper arsenate treated (pressure treated) lumber.
The organic grower at work said treated lumber can be used, provided it is burned/charred to a certain amount ( I think it was 1" depth ).

I have a back up plan though. My day job provides me acess to damaged industrial racking. These are steel beams and cross braces 20' and longer. They are also much easier to handle than telephone poles.
__________________
They call him easy.....easy brewer.....

sonetlumiere85 Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 06:25 PM   #9
Orangevango
 
Orangevango's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Mar 2008
Posts: 596
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts


Call the USDA.

Burning does not denature tar-creosote, and charring the ends would be a hazard to your health in all likelihood.

Im surprised you aren't buying the land. Its going to suck when your landlord decides that he wants his nd back, and you have 30,000 dollars in infrastructure on it that you really dont have any way to move.

I am planting a hop farm in the spring, only 160 plants, but I already own the land, and am using plain pine trees for the posts. For treatment, I am painting the ends with a wax-linseed oil mixture.

I expect them to last about 3-4 years before needing replacement.

On the compost front, where are you getting your compostables? You will find that getting anything by the pickup-truck load is not going to be sufficient. Plan on buying a dump truck load of manure every couple of months.

I hope you have the money to last out the income-less time before the hops start producing.

Best of luck to you.
__________________
Visit my Hop Farm on Facebook

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 09:30 PM   #10
Hopheader
Recipes 
 
Apr 2009
Canada, eh!
Posts: 274

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBasile View Post
Those hops are going to be garbage! Send them all to me for disposal.
Haha, yes; I concur. I think they should be shipped up here to Canada in the middle of nowhere for disposal.

Nicely done! Keep us posted.
I was happy to have 3 12' bines this year as a first year grower. Got a small ziploc bag full of Cascade my first season! Yee Haw!
__________________
Primary: Dunkelweizen
Secondary: BrewHouse IPA
Forgotten about: Samichlaus
Keg: Special Bitter
Keg 2: American Barleywine

 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
noob yeast farmer hopdawg Fermentation & Yeast 6 11-26-2009 04:53 AM
Old French Farmer Biere de Garde Pappers_ Label Display & Discussion 1 06-14-2009 08:23 PM
Noob Hop Farmer watering question zman Hops Growing 1 05-11-2009 12:01 AM
Officially a Masshole TheJadedDog General Chit Chat 21 09-29-2008 03:36 AM


Forum Jump