Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Man, I love Apfelwein

Old 02-23-2007, 03:41 AM   #911
DeadYetiBrew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNisich
So the main two things that we are looking for to indicate that the fermentation is complete are: 1. The juice clears and 2. the bubbles stop, right? BTW Ed, I am in ATX also and have noticed that neither has occurred by 4 weeks.

Do the bubbles totally stop or just slow down a lot when this is done?
Totally stop... and it clears... ALOT!

Old 02-23-2007, 01:17 PM   #912
Schlenkerla

Recipes 

Liked 113 Times on 89 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
So the main two things that we are looking for to indicate that the fermentation is complete are: 1. The juice clears and 2. the bubbles stop, right? BTW Ed, I am in ATX also and have noticed that neither has occurred by 4 weeks.

Your fermentation temp is a big factor on how fast it gets done. Mine is still going and it will be 7 weeks tomorrow. The passing of bubbles thru the lock has slowed considerably though. At least 6 per minute. My basement is in the mid 50's

I imagine with where you're at it should be warmer. At least in the mid 60's.

BS Nano-Brewery

|Myeast 50327|Easy Hop Oast|Smoked Homebrew|

Old 02-23-2007, 03:52 PM   #913
natefitz

Recipes 

Default concentrate

My Sam's club doesn't carry Tree Top and I have yet to find any other juice that is completely addative free. I'm thinking I will make juice from frozen concentrate and proceed with Ed's original recipe from there. Does anyone see any problems with this?
Thanks

Old 02-23-2007, 04:23 PM   #914
Branket
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schlenkerla
Your fermentation temp is a big factor on how fast it gets done. Mine is still going and it will be 7 weeks tomorrow. The passing of bubbles thru the lock has slowed considerably though. At least 6 per minute. My basement is in the mid 50's

I imagine with where you're at it should be warmer. At least in the mid 60's.
Perhaps this is why I had a blow off, its about 72-74F in the room that I'm fermenting in. Should it be cooler?

Old 02-23-2007, 05:30 PM   #915
Schlenkerla

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Branket
Perhaps this is why I had a blow off, its about 72-74F in the room that I'm fermenting in. Should it be cooler?
I don't think so. I think its OK. Ed could tell you. I had a post awhile back with range. It was from the yeast maker. I'm thinking it was about page 40. I'll check.

See post 548 for the Mfg'r Comments on temps. 86'F is the highest...

BS Nano-Brewery

Old 02-23-2007, 05:41 PM   #916
Schlenkerla

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balls-A-Doodle-Doo
My Sam's club doesn't carry Tree Top and I have yet to find any other juice that is completely addative free. I'm thinking I will make juice from frozen concentrate and proceed with Ed's original recipe from there. Does anyone see any problems with this?
Thanks
Nice to see another Iowan on the board!!! I bought my juice at the local Hyvee. They should have them in Ames. $2.50 a gal for Country Faire Cider or Juice. I found at least three brands to choose from w/o preservatives.

BS Nano-Brewery

Old 02-23-2007, 06:13 PM   #917
EdWort
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 304 Times on 156 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Branket
Nope, that temp is fine as mine ferments in that range too depending on the outside temp. In the summer time, my brew bench is right about that temp.

Old 02-23-2007, 06:15 PM   #918
EdWort

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balls-A-Doodle-Doo
I'm thinking I will make juice from frozen concentrate and proceed with Ed's original recipe from there. Does anyone see any problems with this?
Shouldn't be a problem. Just be sure to let it come up to room temp before you add your yeast. If it's too cold, it'll never start. I made that mistake 12 years ago.

Old 02-23-2007, 06:21 PM   #919
EdWort

Recipes 

Quote:

Yeah, our cooler weather has impacted the fermentation time, especially if you turn the thermostat down when you go to bed at night.

As the other folks mention, it's done when it clears and stops bubbling. I still have two batches from Jan. 15 & 16. They've cleared, but you can still see tiny champagne bubbles running up the side. I'll keg one this weekend to make room for primary bucket fermentor for beer this Sunday.

Old 02-23-2007, 06:40 PM   #920
seyahmit
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I would appreciate it if anyone with some experience with the Cotes Des Blanc yeast could tell me how vigorous a fermentation I should expect. I need my 6 gal carboy for a beer I am brewing this weekend, so I made my Apfelwein in a 5 gal carboy with about 4.5 - 4.75 gallons of juice. The temp of the liquid is 58-60 and will hold that temp pretty steadily. Can I expect to see any krausen in my airlock?