Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Man, I love Apfelwein

Old 12-06-2009, 05:26 PM   #5861
WIP
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I used a teaspoon of dextrose in each 12 oz bottle to prime and after 2.5 weeks, I can barely feel carbonation on the edges of my tounge but there are no bubbles in it to speak of. Anyone else have a carbing problem? I was thinking that maybe my capper sucks.

1350 Manufacturing St. #209
Dallas, TX 75207

Old 12-06-2009, 08:17 PM   #5862
Hegh
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WIP View Post
I used a teaspoon of dextrose in each 12 oz bottle to prime and after 2.5 weeks, I can barely feel carbonation on the edges of my tounge but there are no bubbles in it to speak of. Anyone else have a carbing problem? I was thinking that maybe my capper sucks.
It took like two months for mine to get to a good level. It's pretty slow.

Primary: Summer RyePA
Tertiary: Strawberry Blond
On Tap: NB's Oatmeal Stout, Eagle Mills Hard Cider, Hefeweizen, Black Lager, Warsteiner Dunkel Clone

"Bravery is not a function of fire power." ~J.C. Denton

Old 12-06-2009, 11:27 PM   #5863
akchris
Recipes 

1st batch in bottles. 6 wine bottles (still) and the rest are carbing quietly in grolsch bottles in the pantry. 4.5 gal treetop, 2# brown sugar, 1 pack redstar premier cuvee wine yeast. Started 10/29 OG 1.070, FG 0.995. Sample says it should be wonderfull.

Old 12-07-2009, 01:08 AM   #5864
HalfPint
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Alright, I just made a grog with about 6 cups of this stuff and Swmbo and I have drank most of it while decorating the tree and listening to Christmas music tonight. This is how I did it.

Ingredients for my grog,

6 cups of Apfelwein
2 Cinnamon sticks
1/2 cup organic sugar
1 apple sliced into 6 pieces and in one of the pieces I stuck about 6 cloves into

I put all into a pot and brought almost up to a boil and then reduced heat and simmered for about 10 minutes. After the 10 minutes, I discarded the cinnamon sticks and continued to simmer for 10 more minutes. I then cut off the heat and ladled into mugs.

Old 12-07-2009, 01:15 AM   #5865
Reelale
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1374 Times on 1332 Posts
Likes Given: 55

How long does this take to ferment out? I started mine on 1 November and it's still bubbling away. Temperature has always been in the mid 60's. It's like the Eveready Bunny.

Old 12-07-2009, 01:23 AM   #5866
HalfPint
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by tundra05 View Post
How long does this take to ferment out? I started mine on 1 November and it's still bubbling away. Temperature has always been in the mid 60's. It's like the Eveready Bunny.
Mine typically bubbles for like a month. It's not like ale yeast.

Old 12-07-2009, 06:01 AM   #5867
fuzzyham
Recipes 

I have four 1-gallon batches started in weekly intervals from early November.

Had a "publik skool math" moment when trying to convert my bag of dextrose from grams to pounds or ounces, than reducing it to amounts suitable for a 1-gallon batch. My head still hurts from thinking about THAT challenge... and I agree with previous posters about the need for a kitchen scale (now on my Christmas list). Looking forward to starting a 5-gallon batch soon (if for no other reason than to simplify the numbers).

Two of the batches are made with apple juice, the other two with fresh-pressed cider. One of each has 9 oz dextrose, the other of each has 6 oz dextrose. The high-sugar batches started out at 1.075, the low sugars at 1.060. I've read much higher numbers in some of the previous posts, so maybe I REALLY screwed-up the math. (Did I mention I went to publik skool?)

Oh, half-packet of Montrachet for each batch, about 65 degrees in my utility room, and these little guys don't seem to stink at all!

So far each is behaving as expected. The bubbles have stopped in the first two batches, and they are clearing nicely. Normally I'd hurry-up and rack them at this point, as I've had bad experiences in the past with wine which was left on the yeast for too long, but am heartened to read about how forgiving this recipe is. I'll probably bottle everything around New Year's (hopefully sampling will be conducive to the festivities).

Happy to see all the experience and positive attitude here, and looking forward to contributing!

Old 12-07-2009, 08:51 AM   #5868
mordantly
Recipes 

Location: Westside..... CenCal - the country that'll never take away my guns or money !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 1

so im confused how apfelwien is differrent from cider. is it higher abv?

Old 12-07-2009, 11:19 AM   #5869
masonsjax
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 501 Times on 363 Posts
Likes Given: 622

Higher ABV and way drier than regular hard cider.

Old 12-07-2009, 01:03 PM   #5870
Recluse
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I highly recommend this kitchen scale:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ss_T15_product

Great scale for the price.

BTW.. here is a quick math check:

1 lb = 16 oz
1 oz = 28.35 g (use 28 or 30 for calculation, it won't matter)

1lb = 454 g

Recipe calls for 2 lb sugars in 5 gal. (32 oz, 908 g)

1 gallon is 1/5 or 2/10 (0.2) of the recipe.

0.2 * 2 lb = 0.4 lb/gal
0.2 * 32 = 6.4 oz/gal
0.2 * 908 = 182 g/gal

You can safely round up or down to whole numbers and not be terribly far off (e.g. 6 oz, 180 g etc..)

My gravities end up in the 1.062-1.064 range generally depending on the juice, so your 1.075 is going to be pretty potent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzyham View Post
I have four 1-gallon batches started in weekly intervals from early November.

Had a "publik skool math" moment when trying to convert my bag of dextrose from grams to pounds or ounces, than reducing it to amounts suitable for a 1-gallon batch. My head still hurts from thinking about THAT challenge... and I agree with previous posters about the need for a kitchen scale (now on my Christmas list). Looking forward to starting a 5-gallon batch soon (if for no other reason than to simplify the numbers).

Two of the batches are made with apple juice, the other two with fresh-pressed cider. One of each has 9 oz dextrose, the other of each has 6 oz dextrose. The high-sugar batches started out at 1.075, the low sugars at 1.060. I've read much higher numbers in some of the previous posts, so maybe I REALLY screwed-up the math. (Did I mention I went to publik skool?)

Oh, half-packet of Montrachet for each batch, about 65 degrees in my utility room, and these little guys don't seem to stink at all!

So far each is behaving as expected. The bubbles have stopped in the first two batches, and they are clearing nicely. Normally I'd hurry-up and rack them at this point, as I've had bad experiences in the past with wine which was left on the yeast for too long, but am heartened to read about how forgiving this recipe is. I'll probably bottle everything around New Year's (hopefully sampling will be conducive to the festivities).

Happy to see all the experience and positive attitude here, and looking forward to contributing!