Man, I love Apfelwein - Page 528 - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Winemaking Forum > Man, I love Apfelwein

Old 08-07-2009, 05:47 AM   #5271
philrose

Recipes 

Jul 2008
Seattle, WA
Liked 13 Times on 10 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by elbajista View Post
How did you like the still version?
FWIW

Every time I make the stuff I cant help but crack a few bottles/tap a few glasses well before its carbed up.

Lazy, yes. Delicious, absolutely.
Planning- Witbier

@philthebrewer

Old 08-07-2009, 11:49 AM   #5272
slnies

Recipes 

Aug 2007
Maple Lake MN
Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

I just put together my first five gallons. I'm looking forward to the reward at the end.

Primary: American Wheat
Secondary: Phils Pils Clone

Old 08-07-2009, 12:55 PM   #5273
Drew_101
Recipes 

Feb 2009
Mtns. Of NC

Its ok.... I like it carbed a lot better
Primary 4- JAOM (1gal)
Primary 5- Not so ancient orange mead (1 gal)
Primary 6- Not so ancient orange mead (1 gal)
Bottled- To many to list

Old 08-07-2009, 04:43 PM   #5274
wcarter1227

Recipes 

Jun 2009
Austintown,OHIO
Liked 12 Times on 6 Posts

this recipe is so dry that still just seems to lack something, i do enjoy a ice cold glass of still every once in a while but supercarbed just seems more apealing to me.
bottled:BM's Blue Balls Belgian Wit
15 Minute Cascade Pale Ale
DryHopped Cream of 3 Crops
http://hopville.com/brewer/wcarter1227

Old 08-08-2009, 04:05 AM   #5275
gecko45
Recipes 

Feb 2009

Thank you, EdWort.

Old 08-08-2009, 09:48 PM   #5276
wcarter1227

Recipes 

Jun 2009
Austintown,OHIO
Liked 12 Times on 6 Posts

At this moment im sitting here a little confused. I had a 1 gallon jug of "still" apfelwein that has been aging for a few months. Running low on carbed apfelwein I decided to chill down the gallon of still wine and to my suprise i guess i must have bottled this batch too early cause it seems like it naturally carbinated itself.

My question is that is this normal? It tastes fine so I know its not an infection, but should I have added sulfites and potassium sorbate to this and is this why it carbed itself up? and also since I didnt add these will these still bottles turn into vinegar and if so how long do i have till i need to finish them off?

On a side note I did another batch of wine this morning, not really apfelwein since I used 100% grape juice but I made it like apfelwein even added the corn sugar.

Its only been a few hours and its starting to bubble.
bottled:BM's Blue Balls Belgian Wit
15 Minute Cascade Pale Ale
DryHopped Cream of 3 Crops
http://hopville.com/brewer/wcarter1227

Old 08-09-2009, 02:24 AM   #5277
elbajista
Recipes 

Feb 2008
St. Augustine, FL

I started my batch on the 29th of July, 10 days ago, and I'm getting less than 1 bubble/minute. Is this normal?

Due to my temperature situation, my Apfelwein has been around 76/78 degrees, so maybe the higher temp led to faster fermentation?

I'm tempted to take a "sample."

Old 08-09-2009, 02:25 AM   #5278
Hegh

Recipes 

Oct 2008
Schenectady, NY
Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wcarter1227 View Post
At this moment im sitting here a little confused. I had a 1 gallon jug of "still" apfelwein that has been aging for a few months. Running low on carbed apfelwein I decided to chill down the gallon of still wine and to my suprise i guess i must have bottled this batch too early cause it seems like it naturally carbinated itself.

My question is that is this normal? It tastes fine so I know its not an infection, but should I have added sulfites and potassium sorbate to this and is this why it carbed itself up? and also since I didnt add these will these still bottles turn into vinegar and if so how long do i have till i need to finish them off?

On a side note I did another batch of wine this morning, not really apfelwein since I used 100% grape juice but I made it like apfelwein even added the corn sugar.

Its only been a few hours and its starting to bubble.
If you didn't degas (stir vigorously, perhaps with a bottle-brush), there'll be some CO2 leftover from fermentation. Not a problem, it's perfectly normal and (I think) a pleasant side-effect.

Also, it won't turn into vinegar unless some acetobactors made it into your bottle, no matter how long you leave it.

Primary: Summer RyePA
Tertiary: Strawberry Blond
On Tap: NB's Oatmeal Stout, Eagle Mills Hard Cider, Hefeweizen, Black Lager, Warsteiner Dunkel Clone

"Bravery is not a function of fire power." ~J.C. Denton

Old 08-09-2009, 03:05 AM   #5279
KillerKellers

Recipes 

Jun 2009
Phoenix
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by elbajista View Post
I started my batch on the 29th of July, 10 days ago, and I'm getting less than 1 bubble/minute. Is this normal?

Due to my temperature situation, my Apfelwein has been around 76/78 degrees, so maybe the higher temp led to faster fermentation?

I'm tempted to take a "sample."
Yeah, I would not recommend taking a sample.. it won't taste very good at this point. I took my first sample at 3 weeks and it was horrid IMO. After 2 months, I took another sample and HUGE difference. Nice and dry. I plan to rack it to a keg here in the next week or 2 and leave it kegged to age for 2 more months!

Primary: 10g English Mild, 10g Robust Porter, 10g Skeeter Pee
Keg: Black Cherry Apfelwein, 10g AHS Low Carb Ale, 10g Centennial Blonde, Haus Pale Ale, Ginger Ale

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnevoodoo View Post
I find that a pint of my own semen makes the best starters.

Old 08-09-2009, 11:37 AM   #5280
HandsomeRyan
Recipes 

Jul 2009
Hendersonville, Tennessee
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

My first 5G batch is bubbling away happily in my kitchen. It'll be hard to wait a few months to sample the goods. If this is even 1/3 as delicious as everyone says I'm going to be sad that I have neither the space in my apartment nor the pull with SWMBO to get another carboy to go ahead and start another batch.